Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-10-2014, 03:23 PM   #1
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Firmware 3.5 Bug Reports

So I like most of us have FW 3.5 on my Aura HD. But have noticed a few bugs that are damn annoying.

1) Bookmarks randomly appear (legacy bug from previous FW)
2) Top Menu will drop down
3) When waking up from sleep The cover page will still be displayed.

Any one else with bugs to report please do not hesitate to post about it here.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:27 PM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
1) Bookmarks randomly appear (legacy bug from previous FW)
2) Top Menu will drop down
3) When waking up from sleep The cover page will still be displayed.
I haven't seen any of those on my Glo. The new bugs I have seen in 3.5.0 are:

- The light sometimes stays on when connected to a computer via USB, and when it does it then gets set to 1% level after unplugging.
- The last word on the first line of some paragraphs does not get hyphenated in the epub reader.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2014, 06:27 PM   #3
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Things I find annoying in 3.5 (and are therefore bugs):
1) the light goes to 1% all by itself. I've seen reports of this, and is probably related to sleeping.
2) annotation selection, while better than before, is still broken. Sometimes it goes up/down a line or two (and it's not my finger). Sometimes selecting causes the Glo to freeze for a long time (or forever), going through sleep fixes this.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:31 PM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
In addition to the above (especially the annoying one where the light stays on while charging and then drops to 1%), syncing often just constantly spins the wheels and drains the battery until I manually stop it. And I don't believe anything really syncs during that time. If I keep trying to sync and stopping it, eventually one of the times it will actually say it's updating, downloading or syncing awards, etc. and complete on its own.

Unless that's common on all firmware? I've always avoided syncing on the older Glo I use for reading.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:35 AM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
So far the two new bugs and two recurring bugs I've noticed are:

1. The last word on the first line of an indented paragraph is not being hyphenated. This is a known bug according to Datalogics site (bug number 36766). Your guess is as good as anyone's as to when Kobo will get around to updating the version of RMSDK in their released firmware.

2. Twice after power cycle/connect to computer, I've noticed the light has come back on at 1%.

3. Annotations are better but still getting too many time when it takes up to 45 seconds for the highlight popup to appear after I lift my finger. A sleep/wakeup and reselect is much faster.

4. The light brightness slider still goes 27%-28%-28%-30%.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2014, 02:12 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
So far the two new bugs and two recurring bugs I've noticed are:

1. The last word on the first line of an indented paragraph is not being hyphenated. This is a known bug according to Datalogics site (bug number 36766). Your guess is as good as anyone's as to when Kobo will get around to updating the version of RMSDK in their released firmware.
I wonder how we can tell. The only thing that I can see in librmsdk.so.1.0.0 is "ADOBE_INFO BUILDVERSION : 1.100322" in 3.5.0 and "ADOBE_INFO BUILDVERSION : 1.89421" in 3.4.1 and 3.3.0. That sounds like version 10.0 and 8.9 plus build numbers, but I can't be sure.
Quote:
2. Twice after power cycle/connect to computer, I've noticed the light has come back on at 1%.
It does this for me sometimes when waking from sleep.
Quote:
3. Annotations are better but still getting too many time when it takes up to 45 seconds for the highlight popup to appear after I lift my finger. A sleep/wakeup and reselect is much faster.

4. The light brightness slider still goes 27%-28%-28%-30%.
What happens if you set the value to 29 in the config file?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:29 AM   #7
vandafc
Connoisseur
vandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Things I find annoying in 3.5 (and are therefore bugs):
1) the light goes to 1% all by itself. I've seen reports of this, and is probably related to sleeping.
2) annotation selection, while better than before, is still broken. Sometimes it goes up/down a line or two (and it's not my finger). Sometimes selecting causes the Glo to freeze for a long time (or forever), going through sleep fixes this.
I have the same problem on my Glo and it appears with the 3.5 update, often selecting causes the Glo to freeze for a long time (or forever), going through sleep fixes this.
vandafc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:49 AM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Also, sorting annotations by location (sideloaded epub) is useless. Since all annotations are shown at "0% progress", the order they come out is basically random, remove one and they are shuffled again.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:13 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
What happens if you set the value to 29 in the config file?
When I check the config file, it shows 29 but shows as 28% in the GUI.

Code:
[PowerOptions]
FrontLightLevel=29
FrontLightState=true
SleepAccessoryEnabled=false
Regards,
David
Old 08-11-2014, 01:16 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Also, sorting annotations by location (sideloaded epub) is useless. Since all annotations are shown at "0% progress", the order they come out is basically random, remove one and they are shuffled again.
My annotations don't all show as 0%. On the other hand, 99% of the time, the chapter shown is the one in which I was reading when I made the first annotation.

Regards,
David
Old 08-11-2014, 01:29 PM   #11
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I have two main problems with 3.5:

1) PDF rendering performance is downgraded considerably from 3.2. I have gaming PDFs (Shadowrun line from Catalyst Game Labs) which are perfectly usable in 3.2, and unusable in 3.5.

2) While 3.5 doesn't have the screen refresh bug in the web browser (where any movement caused a continual number of total screen redraws) the bug appears to have migrated over to the Solitaire game.

1 is a deal breaker for me. 2 is annoying, but hey, they state right up front that these are unsupported beta features...
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:40 PM   #12
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
My annotations don't all show as 0%.
No? Strange... Have you powered off and on again? I noticed mine didn't show 0% when I made them, but they did next time I opened the book (probably with a power off in between).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:36 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

DNSB, Jellby: The errors you describe are long standing errors with annotations. I had hoped that they would get fixed with the rebuild of the annotations list. Or the new RMSDK.

The following are the errors I have been reporting to Kobo on the beta list for a very long time:
  • Order in the annotations list is wacky. It isn't in creation order or order within the book or alphabetical order. Also, the order changes when you delete a bookmark or annotation.
    • This is for the old annotations list. But location order is still wrong for reopened epubs.
  • Annotations/Bookmarks in the list are not shown under the correct chapter title.
    • Instead of the chapter they are in, they are under the last chapter selected using the TOC or navigation bar.
  • Bookmarks percentage into chapter is always zero after closing and reopening a book.
    • If you set a bookmark, and display the annotations list, the percentage into chapter shows a reasonable looking number.
    • Close the book and reopen it and then go to the annotations list and the percentage is always zero.
    • These problems do not happen for books on the SD card. They also don't happen if the annotations file created by ADE is removed before opening the book. So, it appears to be related to reading this file.

The last is caused by reading the Adobe annotations file when the book is reopened. For some reason I have missed that they also get moved to being shown in the list as in the chapter the book reopens to. This does not happen if the annotations file isn't there. I think this also makes the location sorting worse.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:44 PM   #14
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:

Code:
[PowerOptions]
FrontLightLevel=29
FrontLightState=true
Regards,
David
I tried changing these values to see if maybe it would "fix" the 1% light bug, but after I unplug my Glo, most of the times, it would still change to 1%
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:29 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Code:
[PowerOptions]
FrontLightLevel=29
FrontLightState=true
That's weird. That feels like it is deliberate. But, I can't think of a reason why.