Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
andrewcrlucas
andrewcrlucas began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Right button (next page) not always responding

Wondering if others have seen the same symptoms with their Kobo.

Often the next page button doesn't respond sometimes.

If the blue light flashes then the page will turn but many times the blue light doesn't flash. At those times sometimes the page turns and sometimes it doesn't.

It seems to come and go. Occasionally it will happen fairly often (almost every other page) then go away for some time. Once I just reduced the font size and the button immediately started responding reliably for quite some time.

It is sporatic enough that I don't think it is a mechanical problem.

I tried a reset of the device and ensuring it was fully charged but it still happens.

Overall I am very happy with the Kobo, but this button response issue is getting annoying.
andrewcrlucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:32 PM   #2
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
It is sporatic enough that I don't think it is a mechanical problem.
I've kinda experienced this, as in heard the button click, but no page turn. I figured it was just the (imho) nice tough button, as when I press it nice and firm, it turns.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #3
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
Yeah I have the same problem. I've had to learn exactly where and how to press the d-pad to get it to register every click. I haven't noticed it being a problem for about a week, but it was very annoying when I first got my Kobo Reader.

And as Stinger says, a firm click always registers.

I'm pleased you have brought this problem up. I didn't mention it because it didn't bother me greatly, and I was more concerned about poor battery life than the d-pad. It's good to know my Reader isn't just faulty, and that design of the d-pad itself is 'quirky'.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:51 PM   #4
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I've noticed this, too. As Arti says, it may have to do with exactly where you hit the button, or it may be in the software de-bounce delay and dwell times. After all, a firm press is likely to be a longer press, as well as harder. I will have to pay more attention to my button pushing...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:53 PM   #5
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I have had this happen a few times as well. I figured I was half-heartedly committing to my page turns. Once I got a little more serious about them, the problem went away. Bottom line, don't kill the button, but push it like you mean it.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
StealthyScribe
Feverish
StealthyScribe began at the beginning.

Device: Black Kobo
This happened to me when my first charge was near the end of its life, one I charged the device up it stopped happening. Very rarely now does it happen to me, and every time it does I just chalk it up to the fact that I'm probably not pushing the button in the right spot.
StealthyScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:03 PM   #7
Atlantisfan
Atlantisfan began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
I found this happened to me if I had a short page and turned the page too quickly. If I added in a few seconds of waiting time I didn't need to double click.
Atlantisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:15 PM   #8
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
Happened to me with some large ebooks that were made up of images rather than text. I was probably being a bit impatient as I was skipping though the early pages to get back to a spot where I had read.
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:03 AM   #9
drawlll
drawlll began at the beginning.

I find this happens when I choose a larger font, never happens on small or smallest.
drawlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:05 AM   #10
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Tangentially related: has anyone noticed that at the end of a chapter 2 clicks are required to proceed to the next chapter?
Old 06-03-2010, 02:19 AM   #11
StealthyScribe
Feverish
StealthyScribe began at the beginning.

Device: Black Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial View Post
Tangentially related: has anyone noticed that at the end of a chapter 2 clicks are required to proceed to the next chapter?
Not for me. Sometimes when it's the end of the chapter and it's just that on the page, if I don't wait a second or two and click it too quickly from the previous page, the device doesn't seem to accept the flip to the next chapter. If I wait though, it's just one click for me.
StealthyScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:03 AM   #12
andrewcrlucas
andrewcrlucas began at the beginning.

All of this discussion confirms my belief that this issue could be fixed in firmware. When I press the centre button twice in rapid succession, even though the page refresh takes some time, both clicks always register and I am moved to the table of contents. If I do the same thing with the next page button, it will only register once. Now granted there probably should be some delay to prevent accidental double presses with the next page key but you shouldn't need to wait 1-2 seconds between presses either.

Also the fact that the size of the font seems to make a difference definitely points to firmware. I found the same issue, it rarely happens with the smallest or small font, much more with larger fonts.

On a related note when navigating the table of contents since the font sizes are fixed at medium or something this issue happens a lot on my unit.

Also it seems that when I go to the previous page and then press next page 9 times out of 10 the first press doesn't register.

I taked with Kobo about this and they suggested returning the unit, but I am not convinced there is a mechanical problem.

Thoughts? What should I do? Return it?
andrewcrlucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:53 PM   #13
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

The dancehall called for an ambulance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcrlucas View Post
Often the next page button doesn't respond sometimes.

If the blue light flashes then the page will turn but many times the blue light doesn't flash. At those times sometimes the page turns and sometimes it doesn't.

It seems to come and go.
Darn. I thought I had the bug-of-the-day here. Good thing I searched before posting! Anyhow, I'm on my third Kobozinho and the blue light is as flaky as the red. Just saying.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:41 PM   #14
artificial
Groupie

Yeah I've got the flaky blue light too. Sometime when paging right the blue light will blink, but the page won't turn. The fact that the blue light blinks makes it clear that the click did register, but that the kobo failed to respond correctly to the instruction.

Most of the time I can turn pages without any problem, but sometimes it's temeramental.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:44 PM   #15
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

You know this is probably evidence I should get a life, but sometimes -- sometimes -- I think both the red and the blue light flash when I turn the page. It's sort of a purple light, the kind where you then await a message from the mother ship. So far, though, nothing...
corona is offline   Reply With Quote