Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-09-2006, 11:33 PM   #1
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Unhappy It's a sad day...

Quote:
Purchase PURCHASE SONY STYLE KENWOOD 10/06 $420.61
I bought my lovely little Reader on Friday evening October 6th. And today, 34 days later, I had to.... :sniff: .... I had to unpack the battery charger.

Can I get some comfort?
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:06 AM   #2
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2006, 01:49 AM   #3
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome
I bought my lovely little Reader on Friday evening October 6th. And today, 34 days later, I had to.... :sniff: .... I had to unpack the battery charger.

Can I get some comfort?

Do you mean it was the wrong item or did someone steel your reader?
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:53 AM   #4
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
A sad day when you need to charge it...
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 03:07 AM   #5
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
I simply leave it plugged in the USB. I had a little scare yesterday when the battery indicator dropped to 3 blocks. The horror!
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2006, 03:16 AM   #6
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

When it hit only three bars. Desided to go find where I had put the box with the recharger yesterday.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:28 AM   #7
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome

Can I get some comfort?

Hi hi, stupid me. Now I understand. It was very early this morning.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:10 PM   #8
maccoul
maccoul began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
I simply leave it plugged in the USB. I had a little scare yesterday when the battery indicator dropped to 3 blocks. The horror!
Had the exact same scare just an hour ago. I bet it was that graphic novel (44Mb) I downloaded that ate the extra juice.
maccoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:45 PM   #9
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
To Clarify:

The USB cable for downloading content also acts as charger?

Two friends of mine who have newer smartphones were chiding me that my Treo 650 does not have USB charging capability. Of course, neither one of them has a bluetooth dongle for their PC, so it's a dead heat.

USB charging would be awesome. A smart move on SONY's part, if they included it
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:47 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
They did.

It nominally takes twice as long to charge from USB, but it does charge that way.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:57 PM   #11
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
NatCh: thanks. Brilliant!
Yet another reason Li-Ion trumps AA's.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:01 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I think the folks working on the NAEB Reader are trying to set it up to charge AAA NiMh batt's from the USB (details here, for the interested), don't know where they are on it presently.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 03:03 PM   #13
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu
To Clarify:

The USB cable for downloading content also acts as charger?

Two friends of mine who have newer smartphones were chiding me that my Treo 650 does not have USB charging capability. Of course, neither one of them has a bluetooth dongle for their PC, so it's a dead heat.

USB charging would be awesome. A smart move on SONY's part, if they included it
If you're ever wondering if the Reader is charging, there's a tiny red "Charge" light on the "spine", right above the power switch. It will go out when the battery is fully charged.

I'm using this with my Treo 700p for USB charging; says it works with the 650, too.

http://shop.treonauts.com/content/ac.../5-19--280.htm

Last edited by BobVA; 11-10-2006 at 03:06 PM.
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:05 PM   #14
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
And if you have a cradle, there is a white light halo when it's charging. It goes off when it's finished charging. I didn't like it at first, but now I love it. And everytime I put it on the cradle to transfer or delete files or buy books to put on it, I find that it tops off the battery charge pretty quickly.

That's unbelievably freeing and satisfying for a book reading device to have such great battery life. I hope Sony never says that the battery life is overkill and cuts it back. I think it's worth whatever sacrifice in space or cost or even fine tuning of how the e-ink display operates to get great battery life!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:56 PM   #15
Nightwing
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
And if you have a cradle, there is a white light halo when it's charging. It goes off when it's finished charging. I didn't like it at first, but now I love it. And everytime I put it on the cradle to transfer or delete files or buy books to put on it, I find that it tops off the battery charge pretty quickly.

That's unbelievably freeing and satisfying for a book reading device to have such great battery life. I hope Sony never says that the battery life is overkill and cuts it back. I think it's worth whatever sacrifice in space or cost or even fine tuning of how the e-ink display operates to get great battery life!

Wow!!! Saw the charge stand in a box over at frys yesterday but did not know it lit up! May rethink it now...

Any other benefits for the cradle?