Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-20-2010, 04:58 PM   #16
Delta Tango
Groupie
Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Onyx Boox
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
I checked the dictionary before upgrading to 1.3 and it was absolutely useless but after the upgrade it worked great.
Yeah, I installed 5 of them:
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
Merriam-Webster's Collegiate
Oxford (En)
English explanatory dictionary (main)
WordNet (r) 1.7

Got them all from http://xdxf.revdanica.com/down/index.php
Make sure you select StarDict format

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
The screen looks really really nice.
My favorite part
Delta Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:48 PM   #17
aruangra
Connoisseur
aruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook Touch, iPad1, iPad2, iPod Touch 4G, Pixel Qi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Tango View Post
aruangra,
The applications in first two links do not work at all. The graph area is black and no data is shown.

On http://www.schrenk.com/js/5.htm all five examples work fine, just like they do on a PC, however, the refresh rate of e-ink screen is much lower than LCD so it doesn't look as nice.

(BTW, the ad on top is also animated and it's animated on Boox as well)

Same thing with the last web page, animations work, but since refresh rate is slow, you only get to see some of the frames of animation, and sometimes not entire frame, just part of it.

I tried taking screenshots of every page, but the function seems to be a bit buggy.
Delta Tango,

Thank you so much. I know how to start programming for ereaders now.
aruangra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 01:08 PM   #18
rainbowgryphon
Reading Over the Rainbow
rainbowgryphon began at the beginning.

Device: none
Delta Tango: Thank you very, very much for the detailed review, including the screen shots of the sun issue. A lot of us have to count our pennies, so knowing about pros and cons of these devices really helps us out.

Charlie: Thank you for filling us in on the screen issue. I've been holding off on buying a Boox because I wanted to keep track of developments on this (note: I am more anal than most people ). Even though units shipping now have a hardware fix, I'm curious to see if those with a screen problem really can fix it with software. It certainly sounds like Onyx is taking this more seriously than some other companies!

Rainbow
rainbowgryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:42 PM   #19
dobredobre
dobredobre began at the beginning.

Dear Delta Tango, or other users of Onyx Boox 60

I really cannot decide wether to buy or not. I just doubt wether it is worth to pay extra for the web browser. I went to the shop which has one for presentation - when I entered wikipedia the page loaded so slowly, it appeared within say 3-5s (that would be ok) but the device still did something and was flashing % at the bottom, I could not move the page because the device seemed to be busy... for about 20s I guess, I do not remember but it was really long.

I put away the idea of buying this device but I came to another idea of how to use it. I have oraily online books subscription I read help and they support ereaders, unfortunately they do not list Onyx boox 60, just Kindle, etc. I am concerned wether the boox support ssl browsing i.e. https://... It seems that oraily is served only via ssl pages and may it be that this list out boox 60. I have sent that question to oraily but still waiting for answer...

The $ is going more and more expensive against my currency last days so I became worried about the final price. Can you share your thoughts about web browsing?
dobredobre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:06 AM   #20
Delta Tango
Groupie
Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Onyx Boox
Hello and welcome!
Gmail uses https and it works fine, so I believe your web page would work as well.

Yes, it is a bit slow to open web pages, especially if you are used to broadband but you must understand that Boox is not a device that has browsing as it's primary function. It is firstly an ereader, WiFi is just an extra.

All I can say is that I'm very satisfied with mine and I don't plan on getting rid of it any time soon.
Delta Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2010, 11:06 AM   #21
dobredobre
dobredobre began at the beginning.

Many thanks to you!

It seems to me that it is good enough for my purpouse. I am not interested in full web browsing experience, I just want to read books online. Just made a simple test - pocket format book (similar to page on 6") I read in about 40s - so page turning/reloading from web, in about 8s would be reasonably ok. Not to mention that I will have fast search and bookmarking options if it works also in mobile page version of oraily books...

cheers
dobredobre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 03:46 AM   #22
LivresInOz
LivresInOz
LivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kobo: Forma + Libra|Galaxy: TAB A7 + Note 8 tablet|Boox: Note Air 2
I have lent my friend my Boox 60 to try out e-ink.
But he is not happy with the clarity of some words, and would like to increase contrast or screen brightness.
Is there some way to do this?
We haven't been able to find one.
LivresInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 06:34 AM   #23
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivresInOz View Post
Boox 60
This is an antique device and a rarity that it still works - but it is no longer suitable as an example for eInk Devices
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote