Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-04-2010, 05:40 PM   #1
karmalized
karmalized began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Downloading to iPhone Stanza problems.

I have been looking around and haven't really found the answers I was looking for, so I apologize if this has all been asked and answered before.

I am running into a bunch of problems when I try to download books onto my iphone/stanza.

1) When I try to browse on my iphone to Calibre for my shared catalog by Author, no matter what, I get a timeout error. Is there anyway to browse by Author on the iphone.

2) When I browse my shared catalog by Newest, I get the first 30 results which I can download fine, but when I load 30 more results, Calibre consistently crashes. I restart calibre and can repeat these results.

3) I have a few books which after converting from HTML to epub in Calibre, I find go off the page on my iphone, meaning the last line or two gets cut off. I have played around with display styles (on/off) and reconverted the books a few times using different "no text justification" settings, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. There are no <pre> settings in the HTML I am trying to convert.

My setup info:
Desktop: Mac 10.6.1
iphone 3.0
Stanza: 2.0
Calibre: 6.29

Any help on any of these topics would be greatly appreciated.
karmalized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:05 PM   #2
Kilroy
Kilroy began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
Unfortunately I can't speak to Questions 1 and 2. However, I've had the same problem as you with #3. It usually seems to occur with books that have images at the start of each chapter -- I believe the height of the image pushes the text down just far enough to obscure the bottom line of each screen. I haven't tried any of those problem books with the new version of Stanza -- it's possible that they fixed it. I do think it is a Stanza rendering glitch, not a Calibre conversion bug.

The one recommendation I would suggest (which I haven't tried) is to open up the Calibre-generated ePub file (it's essentially just a zip) and modifying the raw HTML to remove the references to the images.

Then again, if images aren't your problem, then I apologize for wasting your time :-)
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2010, 12:09 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Regarding 2) can you does calibre crash completely or is there an error message?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote