Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-09-2009, 12:59 AM   #1
retroreader
retroreader began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, sony 505, nook, iphone
Google epubs direct to Kindle service online - beta

Hi good people,

Would like to invite all and sundry to see if they are interested in www.retroread.com, which I am launching in beta and which allows you to upload a (downloaded!) Google epub, and forward and convert it directly to your Kindle. Just making available now in beta, uncertain of scalability and stability at scale. So (apologies) to keep a lid on it, requires a beta key at registration - but until I hit a wall, all requests at beta@retroread.com will be quickly supplied with a key. (Each key is good for 5 registrations btw, so you can pass along.)

Hosted on AWS so have a scalability model, but not fully there yet!

You'll need to pay the Amazon MB tax, but service is free.

Enjoy!

David Eyes
Publisher BLTC Press/Founder RetroRead
retroreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:03 AM   #2
retroreader

Oh, and yes, the engine is Calibre!
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 07:49 AM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
You'll need to pay the Amazon MB tax, but service is free.
But I don't live in Manitoba.

Oh, wait, I get it. Sorry.

Seriously though, David, this looks a very useful service. I'll look forward to taking it for a spin.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:19 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Will it work with the @free.kindle.com address?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #5
retroreader

will it work with @free.kindle.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Will it work with the @free.kindle.com address?
... good question: currently not, somewhat on the fence about support for non device addresses (actually, the free.kindle.com address would not be needed, as it is already converted, and could be forwarded anywhere.)

rationale: it's a free service, and out the chute, I have no idea what the loading will be, and the fact that it will cost you $0.15 or $0.30 is *some* barrier to unrestricted use. Plus the whole idea is to great the "zap my kindle baby" experience.

Meanwhile: let's not be paranoid, right now, I want to find out what is what and with the beta restriction, I can control this. However, from a *general* user experience point of view, I do want to really register "devices" distinct from the notification email (presumably, your personal email).

... soooo for now, happy to deal with as one off request. If you request a key, and include a note, register as normal, and I'll tweak your device name to your notification email for you.

Feature wise, I've been thinking of allowing a profile option for sending files > 2MB to the notification email.

Am I right assuming you just don't wan to pay Amazon?

Cheers.

dme
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 10:30 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why pay Amazon for something you can do for free on your computer?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:39 AM   #7
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why pay Amazon for something you can do for free on your computer?
You might not have access to a computer with calibre on it. Plus sending an email is more convenient for some people than doing the conversion themselves so it might be worth the cost.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:43 AM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroreader View Post
... good question: currently not, somewhat on the fence about support for non device addresses (actually, the free.kindle.com address would not be needed, as it is already converted, and could be forwarded anywhere.)

rationale: it's a free service, and out the chute, I have no idea what the loading will be, and the fact that it will cost you $0.15 or $0.30 is *some* barrier to unrestricted use. Plus the whole idea is to great the "zap my kindle baby" experience.

Meanwhile: let's not be paranoid, right now, I want to find out what is what and with the beta restriction, I can control this. However, from a *general* user experience point of view, I do want to really register "devices" distinct from the notification email (presumably, your personal email).

... soooo for now, happy to deal with as one off request. If you request a key, and include a note, register as normal, and I'll tweak your device name to your notification email for you.

Feature wise, I've been thinking of allowing a profile option for sending files > 2MB to the notification email.

Am I right assuming you just don't wan to pay Amazon?

Cheers.

dme
Please don't make any changes to your model to accommodate me. I just didn't think it through when I asked the question.

Though I love experimenting (within reason) with my Kindle, I'm not sure I'm the right person for your beta testing. I'm not into public domain books which is pretty much what Googlebooks is about. There are those who would get better beneif from your service than I.

If you feel you need more people at any time let me know and I'll be happy to help (I have no problems paying the Amazon fee).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote