Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-27-2009, 02:40 PM   #1
QU2C371FcY
Enthusiast
QU2C371FcY began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is there a reader that will read Russian files without a need to be hacked?

Pretty much the title is my question. I am looking for an eBook reader that will read Russian TXT, DOC maybe PDF files. I know that the Kinde and the Sony Reader have hacks and patches that could achieve that functionality, but i am buying the reader as a gift, so i don't want to hack it on day one. I am not that interested in any protected formats, but it wouldn't hurt.

I think the only other requirement would be that the screen needs to be eInk.

Thanks!

Last edited by QU2C371FcY; 04-27-2009 at 02:57 PM.
QU2C371FcY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:21 PM   #2
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by QU2C371FcY View Post
Pretty much the title is my question. I am looking for an eBook reader that will read Russian TXT, DOC maybe PDF files. I know that the Kinde and the Sony Reader have hacks and patches that could achieve that functionality, but i am buying the reader as a gift, so i don't want to hack it on day one. I am not that interested in any protected formats, but it wouldn't hurt.

Thanks!
The BeBook / lBook / Astak EZ-Reader / Hanlin v3 (the same device, essentially) is capable of doing this, if the language of the device itself is set to Russian.
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2009, 06:31 AM   #3
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
I think the Cybook lets you do that, you will have just to install the correct font.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:30 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, the CyBook works fine with Cyrillic.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Russia is big, very big market for e-books and e-book readers.
They have quite a few devices developed specifically for this market.
Examples:
http://lbook.com.ua/en/
http://pocketbook.com.ua/
http://www.the-ebook.org/rus/
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2009, 12:02 PM   #6
QU2C371FcY
Enthusiast

Thank you all for the replies, i will look at those models.
I wish i could play with those in person, and compare them side by side.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:24 PM   #7
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by QU2C371FcY View Post

Thanks!
If not for the eInk requirement, I would recommend the jetBook as an option. It doesn't support Doc, but it does support Russian txt files, and any device that supports PDF should work fine with Russian PDFs.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:08 PM   #8
QU2C371FcY
Enthusiast

Quote:
any device that supports PDF should work fine with Russian PDFs
including the kindle?
Old 04-29-2009, 03:10 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Kindle does not support PDF.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote