Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you read or avoid books recommended by Oprah Winfrey?
I avoid the book specifically based on her recommendation. 38 24.36%
I read the book specifically based on her recommendation. 3 1.92%
Who is Oprah Winfrey? 19 12.18%
I read books interesting to me regardless of whether Oprah recommended or not 96 61.54%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-25-2008, 04:48 PM   #46
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Also, lay off my Martha.
why? "More"tha is a lying convicted felon who got off easy. And she was arrogant on top of it...as i said Oprah is a better version of "More"tha.

And if you read my comments about Oprah's list the books I recommend are far more than SF...the SF is merely a medium for the message. Character driven SF typically is a better vehicle for certain more open thinking, especially in terms of ethics. Perhaps she has not recommended such types of novels simply because she has never been exposed to them. All I know is her list is drivel for the most part. Now and then there are a couple OK reads but not often...

The problem with things like her list is EXACTLY her control over what those would probably never read are willing to read. One thing is at least she is probably getting some subset to read at all...and that is a start...of course the NYT Best Seller list probably has a similar effect.

BTW, I never wrote Oprah was not smart...just an under educated dolt...that is different. She is obviously a very bright individual to get where she is today from very difficult beginnings....but there are areas she is pretty apparently lacking in either common sense or simple education.

Last edited by brecklundin; 12-25-2008 at 04:51 PM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 04:51 PM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm sure that everybody realises that "product placement" on commercial TV shows is done in exchange for (large) payments, not out of the goodness of the presenter's heart.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2008, 05:00 PM   #48
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
why? "More"tha is a lying convicted felon who got off easy. And she was arrogant on top of it...as i said Oprah is a better version of "More"tha.

And if you read my comments about Oprah's list the books I recommend are far more than SF...the SF is merely a medium for the message. Character driven SF typically is a better vehicle for certain more open thinking, especially in terms of ethics. Perhaps she has not recommended such types of novels simply because she has never been exposed to them. All I know is her list is drivel for the most part. Now and then there are a couple OK reads but not often...

The problem with things like her list is EXACTLY her control over what those would probably never read are willing to read. One thing is at least she is probably getting some subset to read at all...and that is a start...of course the NYT Best Seller list probably has a similar effect.
I keep typing and retyping my response to your comments, trying to find the right thing to say without being insulting. So I'll go with a story.

My friend (very intelligent, etc) met some friends (also smart) at the art museum in Chicago. She wanted to go check out the Monet collection. The one said, "Uggh, Monet, how pedestrian."

You remind me of him.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 05:16 PM   #49
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Quote:
I keep typing and retyping my response to your comments, trying to find the right thing to say without being insulting. So I'll go with a story.

My friend (very intelligent, etc) met some friends (also smart) at the art museum in Chicago. She wanted to go check out the Monet collection. The one said, "Uggh, Monet, how pedestrian."

You remind me of him.
If you don't 'get it' then you don't 'get it'...your opinions are as valid as mine...you are under no complusion to agree or disagree. You do, however, appear to be quite polarized and nobody can open your eyes but you.

And it's easy to not be insulting...just be honest in your words. In fact I suspect your frustrations with my comments are because they do not align with yours and I might not be fond of one of your "heroes"...oh, well. That is how discussion works some take them personally others, well, do not.

Last edited by brecklundin; 12-25-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:19 PM   #50
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I am unfamiliar with the lady (other than the knowledge that she is an American "chat show" hostess), but I would say that if she gets a lot of people to read books who would otherwise not have done so, that can only be a good thing, regardless of her taste in books.
Hear, hear. Anyone who can encourage people to read a tome like "Anna Karenina" deserves credit, in my opinion. Here is a link to Oprah's past recommendations:

http://www.oprah.com/article/oprahsb...0701_orig_list

Not too shabby. I also happen to think she's a smart, savvy woman. Smart and savvy enough to become powerful and rich. As in the case of Martha Stewart, I think a lot of the flack coming her way (I'm not referring to MR members, save maybe for an outlier) is due to the fact that she's powerful, rich, AND a woman. Never underestimate the subtleness of misogyny. Just my opinion.

Full disclosure: I do not watch Oprah (not having a teevee makes doing that a bit difficult, but I also prefer Ellen--she's way funnier), and I do not read books based on her recommendations. But I wouldn't not read books just because she recommended them.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2008, 05:25 PM   #51
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
If you don't 'get it' then you don't 'get it'...your opinions are as valid as mine...you are under no complusion to agree or disagree. You do, however, appear to be quite polarized and nobody can open your eyes but you.

And it's easy to not be insulting...just be honest in your words. In fact I suspect your frustrations with my comments are because they do not align with yours and I might not be fond of one of your "heroes"...oh, well. That is how discussion works so take them personally others, well, do not.
Nah, I could actually care less if you don't like Martha. I have to say though, you seem much more polarized than me. I've already said that I have no problem with Oprah, or people reading her books. I just don't read them for my own (admittedly stupid) reasons. My frustration with your comments are these two things:
1) You are writing pompously.
2) You started name-calling in what was actually a pretty calm thread.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:31 PM   #52
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
Hear, hear. Anyone who can encourage people to read a tome like "Anna Karenina" deserves credit, in my opinion. Here is a link to Oprah's past recommendations:

http://www.oprah.com/article/oprahsb...0701_orig_list

Not too shabby. I also happen to think she's a smart, savvy woman. Smart and savvy enough to become powerful and rich. As in the case of Martha Stewart, I think a lot of the flack coming her way (I'm not referring to MR members, save maybe for an outlier) is due to the fact that she's powerful, rich, AND a woman. Never underestimate the subtleness of misogyny. Just my opinion.

Full disclosure: I do not watch Oprah (not having a teevee makes doing that a bit difficult, but I also prefer Ellen--she's way funnier), and I do not read books based on her recommendations. But I wouldn't not read books just because she recommended them.
Ahh see here is where I lose. I didn't know she recommended Middlesex, and it is on my list to read. And read it I will, my mom loved it and she has great taste in books.

AGHHHH I'M MELTING, MEEELLLTTTIINNG!!!

He he
Old 12-25-2008, 05:32 PM   #53
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Thanks for posting the list! Some of the authors are pretty middle of the road (Anita Shreve, imho, for example) but others are really quite significant authors, many of whom I had read/heard of before Oprah and who achieved well-deserved success before she came along with her club (Marquez, Allende, Weisel) and/or were known already in their native countries (Mistry, McDonald, Paton). That's actually not too shabby a reading list.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 05:33 PM   #54
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
Nah, I could actually care less if you don't like Martha. I have to say though, you seem much more polarized than me. I've already said that I have no problem with Oprah, or people reading her books. I just don't read them for my own (admittedly stupid) reasons. My frustration with your comments are these two things:
I agree.

Mods, do we really have to behave and be civil in these threads? It's so tempting to...
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 07:43 PM   #55
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
Name calling? who did I "call names"? I certainly have opinions on this topic but never called any participant in this thread or member of this board any names. Nor have my opinions been any different from several others posted previously.

Of course the use of the pejorative "pompous" might be considered a personal attack but I just consider it one person's honest opinion. No harm done that is where discussions start. I would invite you to revisit what I posted and go from there. I suspect you might find we are both of similar mind.

Well, have a happy christmas...
Old 12-25-2008, 07:50 PM   #56
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
No, I did not say that. I do not believe that authors should be forced to suffer by boycotting. However, any careful examination of Oprah's reading habits and suggestions will make it clear that she has very narrow tastes - for one thing, SF needs not apply. Hunh? With a simple wave of her hand she can dismiss an entire genre???

Derek
I am sorry, I thought you said you would boycott any book she recommended. If that is not what you said then what did you say?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:05 PM   #57
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Ugh, now after 58 votes I so wish I could look at the ballots and see who was the one person that said they read the book specifically based on her recommendation. I probably wouldn't hold it against them, just the fact there is just -1- vote makes me curious...

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:27 PM   #58
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Name calling? who did I "call names"? I certainly have opinions on this topic but never called any participant in this thread or member of this board any names. Nor have my opinions been any different from several others posted previously.

Of course the use of the pejorative "pompous" might be considered a personal attack but I just consider it one person's honest opinion. No harm done that is where discussions start. I would invite you to revisit what I posted and go from there. I suspect you might find we are both of similar mind.

Well, have a happy christmas...
What did you call Oprah? And her viewers?

It's not your opinion, its the way you presented it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
Ugh, now after 58 votes I so wish I could look at the ballots and see who was the one person that said they read the book specifically based on her recommendation. I probably wouldn't hold it against them, just the fact there is just -1- vote makes me curious...

-MJ
I'm suprised there is only one out of 58. Or maybe not, I got the impression from people who bought her books when I was at the bookstore didn't read often (no Preferred reader cards, etc) so they probably wouldn't need a ereader device.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:29 PM   #59
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
No, I did not say that. I do not believe that authors should be forced to suffer by boycotting. However, any careful examination of Oprah's reading habits and suggestions will make it clear that she has very narrow tastes - for one thing, SF needs not apply. Hunh? With a simple wave of her hand she can dismiss an entire genre???

Derek
That brings up and interesting question to me. Does she have a responsibility to give all genres equal time? It would be nice if she enjoyed SciFi and recommended it because I think there are a lot of folks out there who would enjoy it if they tried it. They're just not exposed to it. However, she's one person recommending books she likes that she thinks her audience will enjoy. Personally, I pretty much dismiss romance and fantasy novels out of hand. It's not my taste. I'm not knocking it but it doesn't appeal to me. I wouldn't rule out a book for it's membership in one of these clubs but I don't don't find myself browsing those shelves in the book store. I don't feel the least bit unjust about it. I don't have her power to shape tastes, of course. Do people here feel that her power obliges her to open up her recommendations to things she may not like? Would people be less "Anti-Oprah" if she did?

Myself, I don't see why she should have to be all things to all people. I think it's a separate issue that "genre fiction" is marginalized. Further, I don't think there's a huge intersection between SciFi fans and Oprah fans so I don't see why she should necessarily branch out from her own tastes (which seem to be successful with her established fan base) to gain their favor.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:36 PM   #60
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
That brings up and interesting question to me. Does she have a responsibility to give all genres equal time? It would be nice if she enjoyed SciFi and recommended it because I think there are a lot of folks out there who would enjoy it if they tried it. They're just not exposed to it. However, she's one person recommending books she likes that she thinks her audience will enjoy. Personally, I pretty much dismiss romance and fantasy novels out of hand. It's not my taste. I'm not knocking it but it doesn't appeal to me. I wouldn't rule out a book for it's membership in one of these clubs but I don't don't find myself browsing those shelves in the book store. I don't feel the least bit unjust about it. I don't have her power to shape tastes, of course. Do people here feel that her power obliges her to open up her recommendations to things she may not like? Would people be less "Anti-Oprah" if she did?

Myself, I don't see why she should have to be all things to all people. I think it's a separate issue that "genre fiction" is marginalized. Further, I don't think there's a huge intersection between SciFi fans and Oprah fans so I don't see why she should necessarily branch out from her own tastes (which seem to be successful with her established fan base) to gain their favor.
I think you have a good point, and I agree. General fiction is pretty safe ground. Particularly for her viewers, I think SciFi tends to be a more male-oriented genre. If her goal is to get lots of people to read a book, plain old fiction has the best bet. Her tastes could be much more varied, but she might not recommend them as to not alienate viewers.