Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-15-2016, 11:26 PM   #1
Aussie
Aussie began at the beginning.

Device: ACER Iconia A1-830
Moon Reader Pro and apostrophes

I came across an interesting problem in Moon Reader (both versions, 2 and 3):

If I send a title to Favorites and create a folder with a name containing an apostrophe ('), it will do it however the shelf appears empty. Doing the same thing but having the folder name without the apostrophe, I can send the titles into that Favorites and all is normal. Ex.:

Annie's Attic Mysteries - Can't see the contents. Does not work.
Annie Attic Mysteries - All is well.

Also, how can I delete the wrong folder? I see no provisions to do that. I believe that if I delete the contents inside the wrong folder it will probably disappear but I can't see the titles in the shelf so I can't delete them.

Can you tell me what to do? Which file and where can I edit to accomplish that?

Same thing with titles. Moon Reader accepts OReilly but not O'Reilly. Very annoying...

Has anyone faced this problem?

Cheers!
Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:48 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
IIRC: It is a boolean (think I misspelled that) error. Some programs don't like characters in titles. I have seen a few turn an apostrophe into a string of numbers.
I do not know a way to correct it.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2016, 12:50 AM   #3
Aussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
IIRC: It is a boolean (think I misspelled that) error. Some programs don't like characters in titles. I have seen a few turn an apostrophe into a string of numbers.
I do not know a way to correct it.
Thanks Cinisajoy... I emailed the developer but so far, as usual, nothing...

Cheers!
Old 02-16-2016, 02:06 PM   #4
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
I hit a similar problem with apostrophes and an Android Ereader (the Energy Sistems Pro +) - see

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=269715

The answer is to use Calibre to purge the apostrophes from the filename/folder name when transferring the book to the reader.

HTH BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:53 PM   #5
Aussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I hit a similar problem with apostrophes and an Android Ereader (the Energy Sistems Pro +) - see

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=269715

The answer is to use Calibre to purge the apostrophes from the filename/folder name when transferring the book to the reader.

HTH BobC
Thanks BobC,
My point is that I want to keep the apostrophes in title and authors names and folders. Also, I do not use Calibre to transfer books to the reader. I do everything manually. Any other suggestion to fix the issue, not to get around it?

Cheers!
Advert
Old 02-16-2016, 04:29 PM   #6
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think you need to understand how your preferred reader handles metadata. Just because the Title has an apostrophe doesn't mean that the filename has to. It took me a little time to cotton on to that. The actual filename should be invisible to the user with the displayed title taken from metadata contained in the book. So the book title could be "Annie's Attic Mysteries" but the filename "Annies Attic Mysteries.epub" or even "AAC123.epub" (always assuming you are using epub format).

If you try renaming the actual file on your reader you will get some idea if this will solve the problem for you. The problem may even be deeper than the reader app itself and may be an Android issue.

The way I have arranged things allows everything to be displayed according to the actual book title and author while having sanitised file and folder names.

A point to ponder - if your book title had a "\" character in it what would you expect to happen - the "\" is not a valid character in a filename. I have books like that and the filenames cannot follow the titles but it doesn't stop the titles displaying correctly as the reading app derives them from the metadata not the filename. The same goes for a "."; some characters just don't belong in filenames. Don't think of it as a "workround" just good practice.

Though I use Calibre it isn't essential, it just allows me to forget it's happening in the background rather than manually naming files for transfer depending on which reader I'm using.

BobC
Old 02-16-2016, 04:57 PM   #7
Aussie

Thanks again for your reply BobC...

I think I was not quite clear on the topic, sorry about that.

My reader is Moon Reader+ Pro. I know about the file names stuff you mentioned. My problem is that Moon Reader does not like the apostrophe (and probably other special characters). I don't know if you know this reader but, again, this is the behaviour:

If I have a title or author's name like O'Reilly it will import the books from the folder O'Reilly but will not display in the Authors list unless I change the Author Sort to OReilly, no apostrophe.

If I have a few books from different authors I can create a Favorites with a name, say, Marilyn Monroe, and sorting by tag (Marilyn Monroe), copy those books to the Favorites folder (Marilyn Monroe). This is handy because I can open only that folder and access those books though they are from different authors.

In my case I have several mystery books tagged "Annie's Attic Mysteries" by different authors. If I create the Favorites folders with this name (Annie's...) it will create the folder, transfer the books titles inside it but I can't see them (they are in there but MR does not display them. I know they are in there because the folder exists otherwise, if it was empty, the folder would not appear) unless I create a folder - Annies - no apostrophe, and then all is well.

Nothing to do with your line of thought above. Moon Reader does not care about the file name. It looks at the book title and author sort primarily. The issue is something with this particular reader ( I haven't tried other readers).

Thanks again...

Last edited by Aussie; 02-16-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:16 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
IIRC this came up a couple of years ago in a thread, but I can't remember if anyone got a response from the Moon+ developer or not. I don't know if he/they just don't care or if it's something they've had trouble addressing for some reason.

Personally while I like Moon+ Pro, and use it, I prefer to use Calibre Companion to manage/display/navigate my library and have it launch Moon+ Pro automatically when I open a book. Of course you need to use Calibre for that to be an option.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:30 PM   #9
Aussie

I only use Calibre for basic editing, author sort, tagging, cover, etc. and for merge or spliting large ebooks. I use Sigil and Jutoh for heavy editing and I don't keep a library in Calibre...
Old 02-16-2016, 06:22 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Hey Aussie,
I remember back when a file name had to be exactly like this...
cindysenglish1301stuff.doc
It would reject any characters/symbols and do not dare put a space.
Now folder names could be Cindy's English 1301 stuff.
Folders apostrophe is ok, file may or may not be.
Note there are no apostrophe police for file names.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:29 PM   #11
Aussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Hey Aussie,
I remember back when a file name had to be exactly like this...
cindysenglish1301stuff.doc
It would reject any characters/symbols and do not dare put a space.
Now folder names could be Cindy's English 1301 stuff.
Folders apostrophe is ok, file may or may not be.
Note there are no apostrophe police for file names.
You're talking about Windows, right? I know that...
Nothing to do with Android file systems nor with Moon Reader in particular.
I can create a folder and file names with apostrophe, etc. but Moon Reader does not like it...

I think your first answer (boolean stuff) was bull eyes but this would be for the developer to fix. If he ever look at his emails ...

Gotta go. Back later...
Old 02-17-2016, 05:44 AM   #12
BobC
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
Thanks again for your reply BobC...

I think I was not quite clear on the topic, sorry about that.

My reader is Moon Reader+ Pro. I know about the file names stuff you mentioned. My problem is that Moon Reader does not like the apostrophe (and probably other special characters). I don't know if you know this reader but, again, this is the behaviour:
<snip>
Nothing to do with your line of thought above. Moon Reader does not care about the file name. It looks at the book title and author sort primarily. The issue is something with this particular reader ( I haven't tried other readers).

Thanks again...
No I am not familiar with Moon Reader in any of its incarnations. If you are happy that the issue is with the reader and the developer can't/won't fix it then my only advice is to find an app that does what you need.

Have you tried ALReader - it has a mode that is optimised for E-Ink books, many of the readers use colour schemes that don't show up nicely on an E-Ink device. You can install it without going through Google Play (I prefer not to have Google Play active on my reader - YMMV)

All the best in a search for a solution. My experience is that you will have to compromise on something, there isn't a reader that suits everyone in every way.

BobC

P.S. Scrub that bit about E-Ink - I think your Acer is a colour screen.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:06 PM   #13
Aussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
No I am not familiar with Moon Reader in any of its incarnations. If you are happy that the issue is with the reader and the developer can't/won't fix it then my only advice is to find an app that does what you need.

Have you tried ALReader - it has a mode that is optimised for E-Ink books, many of the readers use colour schemes that don't show up nicely on an E-Ink device. You can install it without going through Google Play (I prefer not to have Google Play active on my reader - YMMV)

All the best in a search for a solution. My experience is that you will have to compromise on something, there isn't a reader that suits everyone in every way.

BobC

P.S. Scrub that bit about E-Ink - I think your Acer is a colour screen.
Thanks again BobC,

I have tried most of the readers in the market and Moon Reader is definitely the best and offers more customization than the others. I've been using it since version 1 (3 now). Though it has some (bugs?) in design, I like it.

I have not tried the one you suggested. I will download it and try it with my Andy emulator (under Windows).

Regarding my question about deleting the "empty" Favorites, I decided to delete the original book files and re sort by storage. Because MR did not see the files anymore it made the Favorites folder disappear. I then re imported the books and sent them to the right Favorites folder (name without apostrophe) and all is well now.

The developer contacted me and I explained the problem again. Hope he can fix it.

And yes, my Acer Iconia is a color tablet not a dedicated e-reader...

Thanks for the suggestions mate.

Cheers!

Last edited by Aussie; 02-17-2016 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:42 PM   #14
Aussie

Hi guys,

For those of you interested in this topic, this is the answer from the developer:

thanks for the detail, I found this bug now, it's a sqlite search syntax error with apostrophe (apostrophe used as condition in sqlite search).
I'll fix it in next version.

Thank you!
Regards
Seany

Cheers!