Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
"Amazon will capture and control every Web transaction performed by Fire users.”

I found this post interesting. I've never worry much about privacy issues, but I'm starting to think I should.

http://cdespinosa.posterous.com/fire
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Amazon wasn't hush hush about this. That was their selling point of the silk browser.

Yes that turned me off about the browser especially since they did not mention how they would handle secure transactions.

Btw this is not new technology all Blackberrys do this and so do opera mini browser. The opera mobile does too, but you can turn off that feature.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
It's really no different than using a proxy to do your browsing. I'm not saying there should be no concern, but every transaction—every page I go to—on my Kindle 2's browser goes through Amazon too. So it's not really a new development. Where was the outrage then?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Btw this is not new technology all Blackberrys do this and so do opera mini browser. The opera mobile does too, but you can turn off that feature.
(Corporate) BlackBerry traffic goes through a server run by the company itself, not by RIM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
fine by me.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
It's really no different than using a proxy to do your browsing. I'm not saying there should be no concern, but every transaction—every page I go to—on my Kindle 2's browser goes through Amazon too. So it's not really a new development. Where was the outrage then?
Proxy's can catch and sniff but mostly they are pass through ports. Also the K2 has limited browsing ability so you really only used it in a pinch. Also on the K2 you where on their network.

Here your on your network and they are catching your content and the fire is much more capable as a browser which means you will be using it a lot more.

With a proxy you securitiy keys are still point to point. With their silk they have not indicated how they will handle this secure connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
(Corporate) BlackBerry traffic goes through a server run by the company itself, not by RIM.
Good point. I'm only familiar with their BIS solution where it does go through RIM servers.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:48 AM   #7
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I've not heard that the K2 (or K1) browser traffic goes through Amazon. No reason for it to have to. The purpose of the caching on the Amazon servers on Silk is to reduce the time it takes to display a page, from what I read. Similar to what Akamai does, except apparently the Silk software does some pre-processing in order to display the page (probably interprets things like CSS and JavaScript).
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:52 AM   #8
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
A later post on this page and a comment below indicate the data collection is in aggregate not attached to specific users.

Also, you can turn off the "Silk" browsing and use it as a regular browser.

I have no idea of the validity of these comments.

Dean
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:57 AM   #9
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
It also lets them control access if someone develops a cloud reader application similar to what Amazon did on the iPad. It will be interesting to see if they do.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:57 AM   #10
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
The purpose of the caching on the Amazon servers on Silk is to reduce the time it takes to display a page, from what I read.
I agree that the purpose of the caching is to make browsing faster for users. Not sure if that is *the* purpose for why Amazon has invested the time and effort on developing Silk. Collecting the aggregate data of every browsing session of every user has to be a marketing goldmine for them as well.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:06 PM   #11
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
It also lets them control access if someone develops a cloud reader application similar to what Amazon did on the iPad. It will be interesting to see if they do.
Given that there are other reading apps in the Amazon App store (including commercial rival Kobo), I would doubt that they would block such a cloud reading app. They'd lose more than they gain by that move (see the 1984 debacle).
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:30 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I've not heard that the K2 (or K1) browser traffic goes through Amazon. No reason for it to have to.
Of course there's a reason K2 browsers go through Amazon. They're 3G only devices. Most cell providers aren't willing to let you hop on their networks and browse willy-nilly with just any old device. So you have to go through Amazon's approved proxy-servers first to access to the internet.

I agree it's not the same situation as the Silk browser, but there was still no outrage at the time about every single packet to and from your device going through Amazon's servers.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:04 PM   #13
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDaneel54 View Post
A later post on this page and a comment below indicate the data collection is in aggregate not attached to specific users.

Also, you can turn off the "Silk" browsing and use it as a regular browser.

I have no idea of the validity of these comments.

Dean
I had heard this too...Looking for the link...

Ah, here!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200775270

At point 1, under Privacy Information, it reads,
Quote:
"You can also choose to operate Amazon Silk in basic or “off-cloud” mode. Off-cloud mode allows web pages generally to go directly to your computer rather than pass through our servers. As such, it does not take advantage of Amazon’s cloud computing services to speed-up web content delivery."
I hope that helps!
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:10 PM   #14
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Eh, no big deal for me (should I ever pick one up).
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:11 PM   #15
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Opera's Mini Web Browser has been doing the exact same thing for over six years. No one seemed to care about this sort of thing until Amazon introduced Silk.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon fire, privacy, tablets