Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-12-2010, 05:40 PM   #1
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
CNet's enTourage eDGE review

This just came out, and I don't see it here, so here it is. If it's included within another thread, please feel free to delete this.

http://bit.ly/ee_cnet
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

From the review:

"If the goal is to create an e-book experience that can satisfy the demands of textbooks and the way students and academics need to interact with them, the Edge gets about as close to ideal as you can reasonably expect at this price. In spite of what we have to say, the success of a product like this can only be measured in the classroom. "

And that's an important point. What can they do to make this work as well for someone who may, much of the time when out, just want a lighter e-reader?

I've always felt it would be a more attractive model if the e-ink screen could be separated from it and the notes and illustrations could be integrated with the LCD screen functions later when you reconnect the two screens and whatever memory functions underlie each.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
andrys
Explorer

Don't want to make a new thread for this, so am attaching a report on the device at http://www.islate-hacks.com/?p=292

It reads more like a PR release but gives all the reasons that classrooms might find this worthwhile.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
andrys
Explorer

This new one from Wired came in as a link from Hard OCP and I don't see it here, so am adding it under the CNet one since anyone interested in the Entourage Edge will likely choose any EE thread.

http://www.wired.com/reviews/product...ader_entourage

It's a very tough review from a usually very balanced writer but some of the basic problems seemed too much. If anyone wants to write to the points there, it gets a big audience, on a repeat basis for even older articles.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
That is one Bu Tugly device.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:36 PM   #6
devseev
devseev began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrys View Post
This new one from Wired came in as a link from Hard OCP and I don't see it here, so am adding it under the CNet one since anyone interested in the Entourage Edge will likely choose any EE thread.

http://www.wired.com/reviews/product...ader_entourage

It's a very tough review from a usually very balanced writer but some of the basic problems seemed too much. If anyone wants to write to the points there, it gets a big audience, on a repeat basis for even older articles.
This "review" is even more ridiculous than Engadget's...

"the surprising omission of an Ethernet port means the eDGe can only get internet connectivity via Wi-Fi." -- It seems they didn't realize the Edge can get ethernet over USB. At least there is an eithernet-to-usb connector sold as an EDGE accessory, although I don't recall seeing user reviews of how well it works.
devseev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:04 AM   #7
andrys
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by devseev View Post

"the surprising omission of an Ethernet port means the eDGe can only get internet connectivity via Wi-Fi." -- It seems they didn't realize the Edge can get ethernet over USB. At least there is an eithernet-to-usb connector sold as an EDGE accessory, although I don't recall seeing user reviews of how well it works.
Considering the iPad's lapse with a dedicated USB port and making people pay $29 extra to make a USB connection possible with the adapter that's part of a camera kit, it's nice to see one on a serious device :-)

It'll be interesting to see how effective that ethernet to USB willl be. It should work fine if it works at all.

On my small Samsung netbook I have 3 USB ports and a dedicated Ethernet cable input. But it doesn't have two different interacting screens :-)
Old 03-16-2010, 03:06 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by devseev View Post

So... Let's create a portable device that you put on a cable because you want internet via cable instead of wireless? it's almost like saying you want an ethernet port on your mobile phone...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:26 AM   #9
Nakor
Addict
Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre
I don't think I've ever bumped into a wireless mobile device that had an ethernet port. Netbooks and laptops yes, but anything outside of that I don't recall having ever seen ethernet built into. As sweetpea said, why?
Nakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:13 AM   #10
andrys
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakor View Post
I don't think I've ever bumped into a wireless mobile device that had an ethernet port. Netbooks and laptops yes, but anything outside of that I don't recall having ever seen ethernet built into. As sweetpea said, why?
The Entourage Edge is more like a netbook than a mobile device (the lack of HD and keyboard qualifies it more for the mobile, I suppose, but the study features are definitely more like a netbook.

And it's bigger than my Samsung 10.2" screen netbook.

I was in Egypt/Jordan for 3 weeks end of last year, and in almost every single hotel room, it was an ethernet cable that brought us Internet.

Wireless was available as well but only downstairs in a special area usually, and I preferred using the netbook very late at night in the rooms.

So it makes sense that EE has some kind of ethernet to USB thing.

Tags
entourage edge, ereaders