Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-01-2013, 05:51 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's definitely your ISP or download speed that's the issue.

I've just downloaded the latest v1.9.0 and it took 17s. I have a download speed of roughly 15MBit/sec.

You really don't need to download every new version, though. I only download new versions if there's a new feature that I'd like to have, or a bug fix that's affecting me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:17 AM   #17
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleyx View Post
Download by torrent is a good idea, but I wonder how to implement that for the Linux version of the installer (which, thanks to the power of Python, automatically detects the latest version, downloads, and installs, without the need for a pesky browser and mouse clicks).

...Of course, after a quick search, the real problem becomes one of choosing the right package from the dozen or so available...

Another way to reduce the load would be to build incremental updates alonside full installs. I don't expect the delta from 1.8 to 1.9 to weight much compared to a full 1.8. We'd need some data about version fragmentation to determine if it's worth the pain, though.

Hm. Just for fun, I'm gonna make some experiments on that one anyways.
Why a problem: The dot_torrent file is small

The check for new versions only has to decipher the OS (which it does now) and grab the (current) .torrent related and see downloads peg my bandwidth capacity once there are 10+ seeders

I have been using Ubuntu's .torrent files for many versions
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:33 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-Jim View Post
TWC - 10mbit
Firefox w/DownThemAll (4 segments)

~55 sec

~45 sec from the alternate download
Yes, I use DownloadThemAll with Firefox and it does help big time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:35 AM   #19
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
It could even be possible to incorporate a torrent client in calibre itself. Fully controllable of course. It could be set to automatically download the latest version using a predetermined bandwidth and seed to others, also at a predetermined bandwidth, or ratio. Could even be possible to set it to inform the user that a new version has been downloaded and ask if it should be installed.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:57 AM   #20
aleyx
Addict
aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Cybook Diva
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Why a problem: The dot_torrent file is small

The check for new versions only has to decipher the OS (which it does now) and grab the (current) .torrent related and see downloads peg my bandwidth capacity once there are 10+ seeders

I have been using Ubuntu's .torrent files for many versions
I was talking about the current way to install/upgrade Calibre on Linux, which is to run:

Code:
sudo python -c "import sys; py3 = sys.version_info[0] > 2; u = __import__('urllib.request' if py3 else 'urllib', fromlist=1); exec(u.urlopen('http://status.calibre-ebook.com/linux_installer').read()); main()"
I've put that in a ~/bin/calibre-update.sh to avoid copy/pasting:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
killall calibre-server
sudo python -c "import sys; py3 = sys.version_info[0] > 2; u = __import__('urllib.request' if py3 else 'urllib', fromlist=1); exec(u.urlopen('http://status.calibre-ebook.com/linux_installer').read()); main(install_dir='/opt')"
. calibre-server.sh
(And the ~/bin/calibre-server.sh
Code:
#!/bin/bash
calibre-server --port 8081 --restriction FanFiction --daemonize
calibre-server --port 8080 --restriction Novels --daemonize
So to enable bittorrent downloading/updating, http://status.calibre-ebook.com/linux_installer would need to be updated with a bittorrent class, because that's not a standard Python library.

Also, for Bittorrent to be any use at all, you'd have to either let that installer detach and run in the background for a configurable time and on a configurable port (because firewalls), or include a bittorrent client into calibre and/or calibre-server for the seeding, which basically exclude first-time installs.

Yeah, software deploymentis fun. Lots of things to consider.
aleyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #21
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did the shell script thing and then attached it to a 'pinned' icon on the Ubuntu menu.
I usually leave my versions with a small stagger unless I am chasing running from a problem.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #22
Matth79
Zealot
Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I've always found the sourceforge downloads to be quick, you get an autoselect host that's not the other side of the world, or you can force select a specific host
Matth79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:02 AM   #23
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The linux version can be updated by putting the update script in a crontab, so it happens overnight and you don't even notice!

That's what I do, anyway. Every Friday it automatically runs.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #24
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
20 minutes for downloading Calibre is a very long time.

I've just downloaded version 1.9.0, and it downloaded in under 10 seconds. I do have a 60 MBit (7.5 MB/s max) connection though, which is quite normal in the Netherlands.

Even at 5 MBit (0.625 MB/s max, which would be considered very slow in the Netherlands at this time), a download should not take longer than 1,5 to 2 minutes.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #25
theducks
Well trained by Cats

You are using the correct Download Link (the one above the Donate Support button)
All download versions look similar to this (attachment). Only the OS version Icon will be different.

Other reasons that come to mind (only that affect specific URL's):
1) erroneous entry in the systems 'Hosts' file (if you don't know what a 'hosts' file is, YOU did not do this)
2) Malware (could have caused #1)
3) Parental controls setting
4) Firewall (host filter) setting
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OfficialCdwnloadsm.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	114649  

Last edited by theducks; 11-04-2013 at 01:03 PM. Reason: button wrong
Old 11-07-2013, 07:30 AM   #26
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
How far you are from the local node for your internet company and how many other people are on the line also can make a difference how fast or slow things download. I ended up going to cable internet due to my DSL slowing down (and having frequent drops).
Agreed! I was so far from the exchange that my ADSL line was not stable past 1.5Mbps and frequently dropped out. Moving to fibre has given me a download speed of 39Mbps and stability.

The calibre server is not usually a bottleneck. I find the download now takes about 11 seconds, (from the main server), compared with about 5 minutes over ADSL.

If you checked out all the suggestions already made then it's probably time to ask your ISP why your line is so slow.

Last edited by Agama; 11-07-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #27
Beyond genius
[ ]
Beyond genius began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE Paperwhite GenTwo
Calibre updates are incorporated in linux update-manager updates, and they don't come so often.
Beyond genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #28
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond genius View Post
Calibre updates are incorporated in linux update-manager updates, and they don't come so often.
Calibre Linux updates come on the same schedule as any other platform, weekly.

The fact that most distributions do not update their repositories on a regular basis is why you are advised not to install via that route but rather to download and install from the calibre web site http://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #29
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond genius View Post
Avoid that one like the plague. The version in most distros was OLD when the distro was released. The next update is when the NEXT DISTRO is released

Use the Calibre Command line for real up(to)dates
Old 11-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #30
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Most Linux distro's don't even bother to regularly update Calibre in their repository. Someone may take a look at it every two or three months or so, because Calibre is developed way too fast. Before the maintainers get the package tested and ready, the next version is already out.

Ubuntu just reached the 1.0 version:
https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/saucy/calibre/

SUSE still has 0.9 versions:
http://software.opensuse.org/package/calibre

Debian Stable (Wheezy) is only at 0.8 (and they won't update it in stable; you would need to get it from backports if it's there, or pull it from Testing, Unstable or Experimental)
http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/calibre

Last edited by Katsunami; 11-07-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre updates, download