Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-21-2012, 07:13 PM   #16
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
DiapDealer,
I can well understand the hobby/enjoyment aspect of setting up a linux machine; I was merely pointing out that each of us has only a certain amount of free time; at least for me, I would rather have a pre-configured system with which in my free time I can use for something, as for example, creating e-books. I'd rather spend time working on my computer hobbies rather than in 1) learning how to set up operating systems, and 2) learning how to configure various programs such as sigil for my newly configured system, and 3) then finally in using it for my major computer interests. To me, a computer/computer os is useful only as a tool for doing something rather than an end in itself, and I would only chose linux if there were not already available system(s) for doing what I want to do with a computer. Without knowing much about linux, I suspect that Windows/Mac does just about everything better (although not cheaper) than linux. This is my personal choice about time usage.

Last edited by bobcdy; 08-21-2012 at 07:21 PM.
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Understandable. We all prioritize differently.

Quote:
Without knowing much about linux, I suspect that Windows/Mac does just about everything better (although not cheaper) than linux.
That's a hugely subjective statement. Depends on what you mean by "better," of course. I use Windows for a variety of reasons under different circumstances, but that reason is rarely because Windows is "better" at it.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:52 PM   #18
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
I agree that 'better' is a vague term; probably I should have written that I have no need for Linux because very likely anything I might want to do with a computer I can do as well (not necessarily 'better') with Windows as with Linux.
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:09 AM   #19
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Linux user (Debian)

I had previously built a Sigil beta 64bits deb package which I was using these last months. Unhappily, he died silently this morning without suffering, I think. I tried to reinstall it but the new package failed to open an EPUB and crashed immediately like the former one.

I tried to compile the 0.53 version and failed. During the CMake process, I had this:
Code:
[  9%] Building CXX object src/BoostParts/CMakeFiles/BoostParts.dir/libs/thread/src/tss_null.cpp.o
In file included from /home/roger/Téléchargements/Sigil-0.5.3-Code/src/BoostParts/boost/thread/detail/platform.hpp:17:0,
                 from /home/roger/Téléchargements/Sigil-0.5.3-Code/src/BoostParts/boost/thread/detail/config.hpp:20,
                 from /home/roger/Téléchargements/Sigil-0.5.3-Code/src/BoostParts/libs/thread/src/tss_null.cpp:7:
/home/roger/Téléchargements/Sigil-0.5.3-Code/src/BoostParts/boost/config/requires_threads.hpp:29:4: error: #error "Threading support unavaliable: it has been explicitly disabled with BOOST_DISABLE_THREADS"
In file included from /home/roger/Téléchargements/Sigil-0.5.3-Code/src/BoostParts/boost/thread/detail/config.hpp:20:0,
                 from /home/roger/Téléchargements/Sigil-0.5.3-Code/src/BoostParts/libs/thread/src/tss_null.cpp:7:
/home/roger/Téléchargements/Sigil-0.5.3-Code/src/BoostParts/boost/thread/detail/platform.hpp:67:9: error: #error "Sorry, no boost threads are available for this platform."
make[2]: *** [src/BoostParts/CMakeFiles/BoostParts.dir/libs/thread/src/tss_null.cpp.o] Erreur 1
make[1]: *** [src/BoostParts/CMakeFiles/BoostParts.dir/all] Erreur 2
make: *** [all] Erreur 2
roger@lmde64:~/Téléchargements/sigil053$
Now I use Sigil 053 on Wine but the display is poor. Anyway... this is life.

Last edited by roger64; 08-22-2012 at 10:29 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:30 AM   #20
Ahmad Samir
Zealot
Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Since sigil-0.5.x some patches were accepted (from https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=772362) to enable building with system libs; so you can try building with your system-provided boost libs, start anew (or run 'make clean'), then delete ( or rename) src/BoostParts in the sigil source directory and make sure boost-devel is installed on your system, then try again.
Ahmad Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #21
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
@Ahmad

Thank you for providing both explanations and a solution. However boost libs (is it is libboost-all-dev) has a 206 Megs size including dependencies. It's a little of an overkill for me, specially when I can use Sigil with Wine.

So, I'll keep it this way, waiting for the new Sigil.

Thanks again.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote