Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-06-2018, 12:11 PM   #61
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I don't think most people pirating material worry about justification of it. They just do it.
Oh, no. They justify it. I used to justify it when ebooks were entirely fan-scanned - it's not stealing if the product doesn't exist to be purchased, right? And hey, if I only download books I have physical copies of, then it's really just saving me time from scanning them myself, not stealing.

i've mended my ways, but trust me, pirates totally justify their behavior.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:56 PM   #62
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
Oh, no. They justify it. I used to justify it when ebooks were entirely fan-scanned - it's not stealing if the product doesn't exist to be purchased, right? And hey, if I only download books I have physical copies of, then it's really just saving me time from scanning them myself, not stealing.

When I consider the time and effort I spent converting some of my DT books to ebook format, I could buy most ebooks for far less. I did not consider it theft in any form -- I was simply converting from one format to another a book that I already owned. No different other than the amount of time and skill involved than converting an epub to an azw3 to allow reading it on a Kindle.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2018, 01:10 PM   #63
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Yep.

Not enough money
Knowledge should be free
I already paid for a physical copy
They won't sell it to me
I was never going to pay for it regardless, so no lost sale

Yada, yada, yada...
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:19 PM   #64
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Oh, no. They justify it.
Some justify it. The vocal minority. I'm just saying there are far more pirates out there than there are people arguing the morality of it.

I still do empathize with the fan-scanned argument, personally.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:33 PM   #65
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Some attempt to justify. I suspect these are in the majority. Some acknowledge it is wrong but do it anyway.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2018, 07:10 AM   #66
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Stated or unstated, the rationale is always the same: "I want that, I'll take it."
Everything else is dressing.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:04 AM   #67
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Stated or unstated, the rationale is always the same: "I want that, I'll take it."
That's kind of what I was getting at.

The average person that downloads stuff (movies, music, books, whatever) doesn't rationalize it at all. They just do it.

the biggest source of piracy I'm aware of is streaming movies. I know people at work that do it. They don't offer any rationalizations.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:05 AM   #68
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
They don't offer any rationalizations.
Then no one has asked them why they do it. When confronted with the notion that it's "wrong," very few will merely say, "so" and walk away. They immediately turn to the, "yeah, but..."

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-07-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:37 AM   #69
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Then no one has asked them why they do it. When confronted with the notion that it's "wrong," very few will merely say, "so" and walk away. They immediately turn to the, "yeah, but..."
Based on what evidence?

"So?" and walk away (or turn back to their tasks) has been my experience. Maybe Houston has a larger portion of jerks? But I'd say my sample size of my coworkers and father-in-law is just as representative as anyone else's here is.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:15 AM   #70
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Based on what evidence?
Every illegal downloader I ever challenged on the subject (friends, work, bar, parties, online...). Every one offered some sort of justification. Anecdotal? You bet. But 100% of that decent-sized sampling is enough to convince me that it's fairly representative of the whole. It's fine if it doesn't convince you.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:24 AM   #71
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Every illegal downloader I ever challenged on the subject (friends, work, bar, parties, online...). Every one offered some sort of justification. Anecdotal? You bet. But 100% of that decent-sized sampling is enough to convince me that it's fairly representative of the whole. It's fine if it doesn't convince you.
So far, it's a 50/50 split

I know there are voices in online forums that make the case for piracy. But my experience in the real world is that people just don't care enough to worry about the justification, even in their own minds.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:34 AM   #72
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
But my experience in the real world is that people just don't care enough to worry about the justification
Our experiences in the real world differ wildly. *shrug*

Quote:
even in their own minds.
In all fairness ... you are utterly unqualified to make that assertion. As is anyone who isn't a mind-reader.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:42 AM   #73
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
In all fairness ... you are utterly unqualified to make that assertion. As is anyone who isn't a mind-reader.
For purposes of this conversation I can only say that I am as qualified to make my assertions as you are to make yours. Both are equally factual.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:07 PM   #74
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
For purposes of this conversation I can only say that I am as qualified to make my assertions as you are to make yours. Both are equally factual.
Well I'm sufficiently satisfied that the assertion that requires mind-reading is slightly less factual than the ones that don't.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:13 PM   #75
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Well I'm sufficiently satisfied that the assertion that requires mind-reading is slightly less factual than the ones that don't.
As John Lennon said, "whatever gets you through the night."