Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-14-2018, 12:35 AM   #16
rpvreviews
Enthusiast
rpvreviews began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note 10.3; Various Kindles in past
How would you rate new iPAD pro 12.9" My worry is it is heavy but for me with poor vision this may be great i think. Expensive is the only thing holding me back
rpvreviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 03:25 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I find that my 10.5” iPad Pro is fine for reading A4 PDFs; I simply crop the margins. I did have the 12.9” iPad Pro, but sold it. I found it too large to comfortably hold.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2018, 03:58 AM   #18
Bookchin
Connoisseur
Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
It depends on your vision, the distance you hold it from your face, and the particular PDF. There's no one answer. I can read A4 PDFs in landscape mode on my iPad mini, even; others might not. Can you visit an Apple store or find a usergroup where you might try them out in person?
I would hold it as I would a book. I am interested in an e-reader or tablet that I could read PDFs on that I've scanned. e.g. an 8.5" x 11" academic paper I've scanned in a document scanner.

Just wondering if a 10.3" would display and render just as well as a 13.3". Or if a 10.3" still has any size-related problems for which you have to do something, like pinch, zoom, or crop margins, etc.. The difference in price between the two sizes is enormous.
Bookchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:38 AM   #19
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookchin View Post
I would hold it as I would a book. I am interested in an e-reader or tablet that I could read PDFs on that I've scanned. e.g. an 8.5" x 11" academic paper I've scanned in a document scanner.

Just wondering if a 10.3" would display and render just as well as a 13.3". Or if a 10.3" still has any size-related problems for which you have to do something, like pinch, zoom, or crop margins, etc.. The difference in price between the two sizes is enormous.
There is no single answer to this. It depends on your vision and the density (resolution and font sizes) of the scanned page.

A little test. The following page would likely be doable even on a 6" eink screen

The following would likely require at least 13.3" screen, if you want to see it in entirety at once

Decide based on what kind of pages you are mostly dealing with. I personally am used to cropping and zooming, because my max screen is 8". There are a bunch of books though with pages that can be read comfortably whole-page flipping even there.

In general, the bigger screen the better, but the software/hardware experience is also a factor. For example, I prefer to have frontlight on the device, and this rules out eink screens above 8". And I most definitely need colour inversion (night mode).

Last edited by mobama; 12-14-2018 at 06:46 AM.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:07 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I read a great many PDFs on my 10.5" iPad (both academic PDFs and out-of-print scanned books) and find that a 10" screen is entirely adequate. The overwhelming majority of scanned books have pages that are less than 10" in size, and academic PDFs and journals, although formatted for an A4 page size, almost always have sufficiently large margins that the page can be comfortably read without scrolling by cropping the margins a little (which is easily done on the reading app I use).
Advert
Old 12-14-2018, 01:12 PM   #21
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
The actual screen sizes is available on our wiki. Cut out a piece of cardboard the size you are thinking about and use it to determine if it is big enough.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:35 AM   #22
Hydrarchos
Depressed Dodo.
Hydrarchos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I used to have an iPad Air 2 (9.7") tablet which, in itself, suited the purpose. The main problem was that I really got tired after looking into a source of light for an extended period of time. The other (admittedly personal) issue was the endless possibilities of distraction.

Two weeks ago, I bought the Boox Max 2 and I really, really like it. It's a very focused device, and although I didn't think I would use the note-taking that much, I actually ended up using it a lot. Sure, it's expensive but still cheaper than any iPad Pro, and much more suitable for me.

Don't get me wrong: iPads are great devices, but I do appreciate the focus of the Max 2. And even the monitor function comes in useful for reading long texts.
Hydrarchos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:30 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrarchos View Post
I used to have an iPad Air 2 (9.7") tablet which, in itself, suited the purpose. The main problem was that I really got tired after looking into a source of light for an extended period of time. The other (admittedly personal) issue was the endless possibilities of distraction.
Obviously we all differ in that respect, but if your iPad's screen is visibly "shining", you may well have the backlight set too high. I'm glad you've found a solution that works for you, though. Personally I can comfortably read on my iPad for extended periods.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:08 AM   #24
Bookchin
Connoisseur
Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Is there any way to tell beforehand whether a given PDF will fit on a 10.3" screen?

Can one go by the file size? Scanned original size? Size of the text block? Resolution?
Bookchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:27 PM   #25
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Is there any way to tell beforehand whether a given PDF will fit on a 10.3" screen?

Can one go by the file size? Scanned original size? Size of the text block? Resolution?
Neither file size, scanned original size, nor resolution in and of themselves say anything at all about whether a document will be readable on any particular screen size. I have not idea what text block size means.

The command line utility pdfinfo will give, among other things, the page size of a PDF file. That still doesn't tell you the margin sizes. But you can get those by opening the file on a computer.

The font size and your eyesight also matter.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote