Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-26-2017, 05:43 PM   #1
Audra
Enthusiast
Audra began at the beginning.

Device: Color Nook
Unable to download metadata

I am running Calibre version 3.7.0 on Windows 10. All of a sudden, I am unable to download metadata for a single book. I can open the Edit Metadata window. When I click on “Download Metadata” the only thing that happens is that Calibre freezes and I must use Task Manager to close it. This occurs with all books, including those I had no trouble with before. I have tried rebooting and restarting Calibre and that did not work. My internet connection is fine. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can try?
Audra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:36 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Audra - maybe your firewall is blocking calibre, although I wouldn't expect calibre to 'freeze' if that were true. Check your firewall settings. Or disable it for a short while and do a test in calibre.

If it's not a firewall issue, try double clicking the calibre.msi and selecting Repair.

If that doesn't overcome the problem, uninstall calibre via the control panel - don't worry you wont lose libraries or settings. Then get a fresh download from here and reinstall.

Added : but first, see next three posts

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-26-2017 at 07:23 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2017, 06:42 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
any chance thqt calibre is putting up a dialog box off screen?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:50 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I vote for this one. Missing second monitors have bitten me more than once.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:21 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I always forget this one. mainly 'cos I never put modal dialogue boxes on my secondary monitor.

Perhaps calibre-debug could have a 'window-reset' option, which would restore default sizes, position and location for all windows.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2017, 08:18 PM   #6
Audra
Enthusiast

Thank you very much for your quick responses.

I don't understand what is meant by "missing monitors". I actually do have two monitors. And previously, when it was working, I never had a dialogue box appear when I clicked on "Download Medidata."

I will disable the firewall and try Calibre. But I have had no firewall changes lately so it seems unlikely. If that does not work I will try the repair option and if I still have trouble I will uninstall and reinstall.

I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:45 PM   #7
Audra
Enthusiast

Not the firewall.

Tried the calibre.msi Repair. No change.

Uninstalled the program, downloaded a new version , and installed it.

I still have the same problem. No change.

Is there any way of checking whether there are dialogue boxes open that do not show on the screen?

Any other ideas? Please?
Old 08-26-2017, 08:52 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Try hitting the escape key. That might close an open dialog box. Or do any of these ideas work?
https://www.technipages.com/bring-of...ck-onto-screen

Last edited by PeterT; 08-26-2017 at 08:56 PM.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:13 PM   #9
Audra
Enthusiast

WOW! Thank you!

Hitting the escape key first made the entire window (Edit Medidata) disappear. Next I clicked on it again and clicked on Download Medidata. Freeze. Clicked escape again: the window disappeared and no more freeze. Tried this again and it worked as it should. Tried to download covers. Freeze. Hit escape. Worked perfectly.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.