Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #91
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepk View Post
Define as local what for? I mean what's your concern if it isn't defined as local? IFS is a special shell variable, local or global it affects the way sh works. Note that json_parse sets it the resets to its default value when it's finished.
1) Keeps the changes to IFS local to the function ;
2) Does not assume an error-free code path ;
3) Is a matter of good style ;

4) You can drop that "resets it to the default value" thing ;
4.a) Which might be an error - a function can't be certain it was set to the default value on entry ;
4.b) The value of IFS will be the same on exit as on entry.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #92
stepk
Groupie
stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5 B011 5.3.2.1
@twobob: working on your requested changes
@kc1: instead of dropping the reset to default value I'd rather save and restore the on-entry IFS value, just to bracket exactly the region where IFS=, needs to be in place. Any comments?
stepk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2013, 08:51 AM   #93
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@kc1: instead of dropping the reset to default value I'd rather save and restore the on-entry IFS value, just to bracket exactly the region where IFS=, needs to be in place. Any comments?
That is exactly what:
local IFS
does for you - no need to add any executable statements.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:51 AM   #94
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Superb.

Sound fine mate. Heroic even.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:00 AM   #95
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

as a "use case"
Quote:
# create pretty label
make_label () {
echo -n "$json_name ¬$json_action $json_params"
## or echo -n "$xml_name ¬$json_action $json_params"
echo
}
would be a likely test...
Advert
Old 01-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #96
knc1
Going Viral

Sorry folks, not time to explain this morning, but . . . .

Another thing to control in the source is enable/disable "glob expansion" in the functions when using IFS and/or the built-in string operations.

Keeps the dumb-dumb scripting language from trying (first) to turn the word expansion into a path or file name on the storage media.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #97
stepk
Groupie
stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That is exactly what:
local IFS
does for you - no need to add any executable statements.
I didn't explain myself exactly. json_parse calls a user-provided function - make_label in this case. I want for the user-provided function to get an unmodified IFS. So I need to reset IFS before calling the user's function from within json_parse, don't I?
Code:
json_parse() {
local IFS0=$IFS IFS ... foo=$2
IFS=,
IFS=$IFS0
$foo
}
or is the local scoping not affecting called subs?
Also is it safe to save $IFS and declare it local in a single statement, or should I break it into two lines
Code:
local IFS0=$IFS
local IFS ...
thanks
Old 01-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #98
stepk
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
as a "use case"

echo -n "$json_name ¬$json_action $json_params"

would be a likely test...
Done. Will attach soon, here's what I get on my extensions. Not too pretty in some cases. IMO you need to prefix $xml_name and condense some of the $json_name's... Give instructions, I will do
Spoiler:

Run Gray Install:| BEGIN ¬/mnt/us/extensions/systemic/bin/start_update.sh
ScreenSaver:| STOP ¬/mnt/us/extensions/systemic/bin/ssprevent.sh
ScreenSaver:| ALLOW ¬/mnt/us/extensions/systemic/bin/ssallow.sh
Cursor:| SHOW ¬/mnt/us/extensions/systemic/bin/cursorsallow.sh
Cursor:| HIDE ¬/mnt/us/extensions/systemic/bin/cursorsprevent.sh
Cursor Toggle:| INSTALL ** ¬/mnt/us/extensions/systemic/bin/installer.sh
Cursor Toggle:| REMOVE ** ¬/mnt/us/extensions/systemic/bin/uninstaller.sh
411 (Other Info) ¬/mnt/us/extensions/systemic/bin/411.sh 411
711 (Device & Network Info) ¬/mnt/us/extensions/systemic/bin/411.sh 711
Run Komic ¬/mnt/us/extensions/komic/bin/resource/Scripts/start.sh
Decompress CBZs and CBRs ¬/mnt/us/extensions/komic/bin/resource/Scripts/decompress.sh
Rename files ¬/mnt/us/extensions/komic/bin/resource/Scripts/rename.sh
Delete scheduled folders ¬/mnt/us/extensions/komic/bin/resource/Scripts/delete.sh
Move and rename screenshots ¬/mnt/us/extensions/komic/bin/resource/Scripts/movescreenshots.sh
Check for updates ¬/mnt/us/extensions/komic/bin/resource/Scripts/checkupdate.sh
Disable sounds ¬/mnt/us/extensions/komic/bin/resource/Scripts/sounds.sh
HackedUpReader ¬/mnt/us/hackedupreader/bin/cr3
BEGIN:Run Grayed Install ¬/mnt/us/extensions/helper/bin/start_update.sh
BEGIN:USBNETWORKING ¬/mnt/us/extensions/helper/bin/usbnetwork.sh
PREVENT:ScreenSavers ¬/mnt/us/extensions/helper/bin/ssprevent.sh
ALLOW:ScreenSaver: ¬/mnt/us/extensions/helper/bin/ssallow.sh
411 PageOther Info) ¬/mnt/us/extensions/helper/bin/411.sh 411
KILL:kterms ¬/mnt/us/extensions/helper/bin/kill-kterm.sh 411
Start Usbnetwork ¬/mnt/us/extensions/usbnetwork/bin/usbnetwork.sh
kterm ¬/mnt/us/extensions/kterm/bin/kterm
Portrait ¬/mnt/us/extensions/orientation/bin/setorientation.sh U
Portrait Inverted ¬/mnt/us/extensions/orientation/bin/setorientation.sh D
Landscape Left ¬/mnt/us/extensions/orientation/bin/setorientation.sh L
Landscape Right ¬/mnt/us/extensions/orientation/bin/setorientation.sh R
SkipStone ¬/mnt/us/extensions/skipstone/bin/skipstone.sh
Leafpad ¬/mnt/us/extensions/leafpad/bin/leafpad.sh
Start XTerm ¬/mnt/us/extensions/xterm/bin/xterm.sh

edit: the forum is hiding multiple spaces in '| Run Gray' and similar labels...
Old 01-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #99
twobob

Yeah. EDIT -> GO ADVANCED -> and like # (code blocks)

[code] stuff [/ code]

As to your suggestions on name creation, feel free to implement your own suggestions.
This is still just in the "testing" phase. I'm happy to take on suggestions, no doubt Ixtab would think the same thing.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #100
stepk
Groupie

Quote:
Sorry folks, not time to explain this morning, but . . . .

Another thing to control in the source is enable/disable "glob expansion" in the functions when using IFS and/or the built-in string operations.

Keeps the dumb-dumb scripting language from trying (first) to turn the word expansion into a path or file name on the storage media.
Will do, thanks. I'm puzzled
Code:
x=${s/[ \t][ \t]/ }
KT sh seems to think that "\t " means a t followed by a space/t while I intended \t as the tab character. Isn't \t a recognized escape? If not, how can I specify tab in that context? ... going to study

edit: comes back... got it from your minimodding guide; use $'\t' instead of \t.

Last edited by stepk; 01-22-2013 at 10:21 AM. Reason: SOLVED \t
Old 01-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #101
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I didn't explain myself exactly. json_parse calls a user-provided function - make_label in this case. I want for the user-provided function to get an unmodified IFS. So I need to reset IFS before calling the user's function from within json_parse, don't I?
Code:
json_parse() {
local IFS0=$IFS IFS ... foo=$2
IFS=,
IFS=$IFS0
$foo
}
or is the local scoping not affecting called subs?
Also is it safe to save $IFS and declare it local in a single statement, or should I break it into two lines
Code:
local IFS0=$IFS
local IFS ...
thanks
Yes, you want that - since you shouldn't guess a what an external function might expect.

I really must run (car keys in hand) - but . . . .
Here is a (somewhat large) example (in BASH!) of the handling of a lot of those issues:
http://hg.minimodding.com/repos/cats/shacat.hg/

In particular the topmost defines for the IFS strings.
That way a reader will get a clue as to what is happening at each step along the way.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #102
twobob

if it isn't on this page? http://linux.about.com/library/cmd/blcmdl1_ash.htm
Then I probably don't know it. Since my knowledge of scripting is postage stamp sized and my knowledge of ash is covered by that page.
I too however am diving into some more docs.

I'll give http://hg.minimodding.com/repos/cats...3/sha1cat.bash a look too
Old 01-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #103
twobob

err... is it like $'\t' ( so maybe something to do with the context of the escaping?)

[root@kindle extensions]# echo "Hey$'\t'You!" <- nope
Quote:
Hey'\t'You!
[root@kindle extensions]# echo Hey$'\t'You! <- yep?
Quote:
Hey You!

EDIT: LOL! I see you found it.

Last edited by twobob; 01-22-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:25 AM   #104
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
That program is three lines long + one line to output all failure messages. (see tail end of the script)

The fact that it takes 1200+ lines of supporting functions...
Well, whatever.

It can (has done) 1Tbyte disk drives with things nested in arbitrary order. (zips of tars of gzips of whatever).
Any combination of the expand_<thing> that is posssible.

I.E: My "Declarative Programming in Bash" example first published in the ABS Guide ten years ago.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #105
twobob

Quote:
...first published in the ABS Guide ten years ago.
Old != Bad

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified