Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-26-2015, 01:21 PM   #31
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
@Simpetus
I had a chance to try both your dictionary files. I renamed them to dicthtml-de-en.zip and dicthtml-en-de.zip. Both did not work for me, even the small one did not work.
As a test I renamed japdic01.zip from this post to dicthtml-de-en.zip and it worked without any problem! So it seems there is some problem with your dictionaries.

Maybe I should explain why I tested with japdic01.zip rather than with cedict4kobo.zip. japdic01.zip is build according to the same scheme as your dictionaries, that means it can replace any except the Japanese dictionary. cedict4kobo.zip, however, is build according to the scheme of the Japanese dictionary, and can only replace a Japanese dictionary.

Edit: Actually, the short version is working! I was only my mistake.

Edit 2: I did a further test. I removed from your complete dictionary most html files, so that only 100 or so remained. This shortened version is working. I think this shows that your dictionary is properly made, but that there are more html files than the reader can handle. If you look at my first Japanese dictionary, I had to split it into 2 parts for this reason. But this of course was very inconvenient.
I guess, it is best to redo your dictionary according to the scheme for Japanese dictionaries, in order to get a smaller number of html files. Instead of, for instance 上心.html, 上情.html and so on, you would put all entries starting with 上 into one 上.html. Look at cedict4kobo.zip for the details.
I do not know whether penelope has a setting for this, or whether you have to achieve this somehow by yourself.

Last edited by tshering; 11-26-2015 at 04:47 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:49 PM   #32
Simpetus
Enthusiast
Simpetus began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
@Simpetus
Edit: Actually, the short version is working! I was only my mistake.

Edit 2: I did a further test. I removed from your complete dictionary most html files, so that only 100 or so remained. This shortened version is working. I think this shows that your dictionary is properly made, but that there are more html files than the reader can handle. If you look at my first Japanese dictionary, I had to split it into 2 parts for this reason. But this of course was very inconvenient.
I guess, it is best to redo your dictionary according to the scheme for Japanese dictionaries, in order to get a smaller number of html files. Instead of, for instance 上心.html, 上情.html and so on, you would put all entries starting with 上 into one 上.html. Look at cedict4kobo.zip for the details.
I do not know whether penelope has a setting for this, or whether you have to achieve this somehow by yourself.

Big thanks to you, tshering, for your time! Sadly, I do not know how to combine all similar html files in automatic way, and if I do it manually it will just take ungodly amount of time it is almost 120 000 of them (crying face).
Simpetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2015, 11:40 PM   #33
Simpetus
Enthusiast

BTW Kobo has support chat system http://kobo.frontlinesvc.com/app/chat/chat_launch/
Old 11-27-2015, 04:13 AM   #34
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpetus View Post
Sadly, I do not know how to combine all similar html files in automatic way.
Maybe you can ask Alberto to make an option for CJK dictionaries.
Or you might have a look at norbusan's "script that allows everyone to enrich the Japanese dictionary shipped with Kobo firmwares." I have not looked myself at the details, but I am pretty sure you can use it to convert your dictionary to a Japanese style dictionary.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:41 AM   #35
Simpetus
Enthusiast

Big thanks for your support tshering.
Advert
Old 03-23-2017, 02:11 PM   #36
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Installation: In order to use this dictionary you need FW 2.3.1 or higher. Rename cedict4kobo.zip to dicthtml-ja.zip and copy it to .kobo\dict\ of the reader. Be aware that you will lose your Japanese definition dictionary by this.
Just tried this on my KA1 (FW4.2.8110). Didn't seem to do anything. When I click on a Chinese character/characters, it just brings up the Japanese definition, if there is one, for that character.

Looking at the files in the .kobo\dict\ folder, it seems that my Japanese dictionary is named dicthtml-jaxxdjs. Should I be renaming the new zip file with this name for it to work?

Also, is there a way to keep my Japanese definition dictionary along with the new Chinese-English one by renaming the zip file to one of the other dictionaries that I don't use?

Thanks.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:06 PM   #37
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Just tried this on my KA1 (FW4.2.8110). Didn't seem to do anything. When I click on a Chinese character/characters, it just brings up the Japanese definition, if there is one, for that character.

Looking at the files in the .kobo\dict\ folder, it seems that my Japanese dictionary is named dicthtml-jaxxdjs. Should I be renaming the new zip file with this name for it to work?
Right, with more recent firmwares the file name has changed to dicthtml-jaxxdjs.zip.

Quote:
Also, is there a way to keep my Japanese definition dictionary along with the new Chinese-English one by renaming the zip file to one of the other dictionaries that I don't use?
Unfortunately, this does not work. The Japanese dictionary slot is the only one that can handle this kind of file. If I remember correctly, you can rename the Japanese dictionary file and can then access words written in Hiragana and Katakana, or starting with a Hiragana or Katakana letter.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:10 PM   #38
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Right, with more recent firmwares the file name has changed to dicthtml-jaxxdjs.zip.
Worked beautifully!! Many thanks!!
Old 03-23-2017, 06:11 PM   #39
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Worked beautifully!! Many thanks!!
I am glad it works for you. As for having a Japanese dictionary in addition the the Chinese, you might have a look at this post (look for japdic01.zip and japdic02.zip).
Old 03-24-2017, 08:01 PM   #40
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
I am glad it works for you. As for having a Japanese dictionary in addition the the Chinese, you might have a look at this post (look for japdic01.zip and japdic02.zip).
Thanks for the information. I may have a go at it sometime in the future. Perhaps when I get around to loading some Japanese books onto my KA1.

For the moment, I am just enjoying using the Chinese dictionary on the Chinese books I had already loaded. Such a time saver. Wish I had had an ereader and dictionary such as this when I was first learning Chinese. It would have saved me hundreds, if not thousands, of hours spent manually looking up characters by stroke count and order in paper dictionaries. I am really enjoying reading Chinese again after a long hiatus. Many thanks.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:36 AM   #41
shebacastelijns
shebacastelijns began at the beginning.

Device: kobo H2O
Smile where do you find the English-Chinese dictionary for KOBO e-reader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderzeus View Post
I'm chinese, so I want make a dictionary include Chinese-Chinese and English-Chinese, I merge two stardict dictionary file to make it.

Thank you replay, I think I had error in build words files when use MARISA, I'll rebuild and test.
hey, I am also chinese, and I am struggling with finding an English-Chinese Dictionary for my Kobo.

where do you find the English-Chinese dictionary for KOBO e-reader? Does it work well?
shebacastelijns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:40 AM   #42
shebacastelijns
shebacastelijns began at the beginning.

Device: kobo H2O
Could you help me please?

Quote:
I am not sure whether I can help you because I didn't use penelope and I don't know much about py.
One point is that the file name conventions for the Japanese dictionary (and therefore for the Chinese dictionary too) differ from the other dictionaries: if the word starts with (or consists in) a Chinese character the file name consists of only this one character. If however the word starts with something different (e.g full-width roman character) then the rules are the same as usual. I don't think penelope takes care of this. Therefore you might change the script accordingly or contact AlPe and ask whether he is interested in this. (Maybe he is rather following this thread than this one).
Second point: I don't think changing the codepage improves the situation.
Which dictionary do you want to convert? Is it better than the cedict?
hey, could you help me please? I am chinese and I need an English to Chinese dictionary for my kobo ereader. Do you know where and how I can download such Dictionary? I also need a Dutch-Chinse or Dutch - English Dictionary for my kobo if it is possible.
shebacastelijns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:24 AM   #43
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
English-Dutch, Dutch-English https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=31

Last edited by oren64; 04-18-2017 at 10:32 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:26 PM   #44
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by shebacastelijns View Post
hey, could you help me please? I am chinese and I need an English to Chinese dictionary for my kobo ereader. Do you know where and how I can download such Dictionary?
Sorry, but I do not know any English to Chinese dictionary for kobo ereader. However, I guess there should be some available. Did you try to search some Chinese language blogs for kobo dictionaries?
[URL="https://github.com/pettarin/penelope"]

If you cannot find a suitable dictionary ready to download, here is a tool that helps you to convert dictionaries of several formats to kobo dictionaries. Try to find for instance a free English-Chinese dictionary in stardict-format, and then convert it.

Some people who are not able to convert dictionaries by themselves, asked on this thread for help, and other people helped them. Since the helpful people do not necessarily understand Chinese, you should select the dictionary yourself and provide a link to it.

Last edited by tshering; 04-18-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:55 PM   #45
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Finally got around to loading a Japanese book onto my Aura and... IT WORKS!!!

So nice to have both a Chinese-English and a Japanese-English dictionary. My Kobo will be getting much more of a workout from hereon in. So much nicer than reading on a tablet or a computer screen.

Tags
chinesem, dictionary, english