Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 08-23-2015, 07:07 PM   #16
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'd have a better time of this book as an audiobook, I believe, but I can't find one.

But here's a hardcover edition for $500.00 if anyone's interested.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:20 PM   #17
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I still have my 1974 paperback. I'll let you have it for $200.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:26 PM   #18
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
All the smoke from the western wildfires is blowing in across the mountains making Denver feel much like Bellona today....
Have you checked out the moon yet?
Old 08-23-2015, 07:41 PM   #19
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I think Dhalgren's your favorite book largely because of the poetic imagery, Kenny. Am I right?
That's part of it....but certainly not all. I really identify with the protagonist. I think it is a more realistic story of our life experience than most. I love the self referential aspects of the book, the themes, and the greater meaning.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:41 PM   #20
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Have you checked out the moon yet?
Its hiding behind the haze.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:43 PM   #21
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I still have my 1974 paperback. I'll let you have it for $200.
I can't go that low but how about $250?
Old 08-24-2015, 04:29 AM   #22
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'd have a better time of this book as an audiobook, I believe, but I can't find one.

But here's a hardcover edition for $500.00 if anyone's interested.
I totally agree. it is one of those books where audio book would have been much better choice. I am also on lookout for audio version. I don't want to give up yet.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:11 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
I think this is the sort of novel that James Joyce would have written had he decided to engage with science-fiction.
Yes, that's it. prose that's artistic with no real plot and no meaning at all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:20 PM   #24
BenG
Home Guard

I finally finished re-reading this today. I decided to forget about trying to decipher what it all meant until I finished and just read the book, taking whatever happens as it comes. I did enjoy it for the most part. As for the meaning I'm sure the conversations Kid has with Madame Brown and with Calkins near the end are important. I'll have to think about it.

The best description may be what a friend said about "The Prisoner" TV series (which he adored). Like Patrick McGoohan, Delany "knew he wanted to say something, was sure he had something to say, but was never quite sure how to say it or sometimes exactly what it was."

Oh, and I liked the fact that it's a circular novel: it ends with a sentence fragment that is completed by the first words of the book.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:24 PM   #25
kennyc

Thanks Ben.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:23 PM   #26
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I finished and thought it was one of the most unique books I've ever read... some sort of flawed masterpiece or brilliant mess.

The thing about discussing it is that there are so so many different things that could be touched on with almost equal importance and so it's a bit daunting. I suppose I'll write about some of the things I liked and leave it at that. It was easier to follow and a faster read than I was expecting. Some parts, including the beginning, are indeed difficult but once I got the swing of the novel the story sections flowed well. I thought it might be boring and while I did find it overlong I generally was interested to see what would happen next. In fact, at the end I was sad to leave the characters.

I liked the 1960's/70's counter-culture focus. This book could have easily felt dated but I didn't find it so; instead I found it immersive and complex, and fascinating to delve so deeply into this time period and compare things to today as well. I also found many of the characters to be layered and complex and I was surprised to find myself feeling a warmth for most of them after awhile. One specific thing is that I liked that the novel presented such a wide spectrum of not only sexuality but personality within sexualities - that's incredible coming from a bestseller from over 40 years ago, let alone one today.

The setting of Bellona was intriguing - the idea of a singular post-apocalyptic city mostly abandoned and just left to itself while the rest of the world forgets about it, and that the few people now living there more or less want to be. A city something like if Hurricane Katrina had not only partially destroyed New Orleans, but had also stuck around as an eerie, ever-present and atmopshere-encompassing storm cloud ready to finish the job at any moment. Bellona is a Sodom or Gomorrah, a limbo or netherworld, that may seem terrible to most but holds its own allure and peculiar rewards to those who want to venture in.

I liked the meditation on the nature of art; it deals specifically with poetry but it could be transferred to any art. Along similar literary lines, the book was very Joycean and not only because of its sometimes difficult writing style - it also concerns youthful artistic endeavour like Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, it structures itself on Greek mythology like Ulysses and it starts and ends on the same broken sentence like Finegans Wake.

The schizophrenia of the book was, in retrospect, well done. This is really why the book can seem so hard since it was necessary for some parts to be almost indecipherable and other parts confused - days missing, reality blurred, time altered.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:28 PM   #27
kennyc

Excellent! Woo-Hoo! Someone 'got' it!
Old 09-14-2015, 11:10 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Excellent! Woo-Hoo! Someone 'got' it!
I got it. It's a drug infused mess.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote