Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-30-2018, 10:10 PM   #1
CGF-House
CGF-House began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Fire
sort of articles is mixed on the fire

I got last week my new fire HD 8 (8th generation) and transferred all my books from calibre (around 5000) to it. Normally I have it sorted by newest/oldest on the fire under books and also in the collections.
To be sure, that all books are in collections and are really all transferred, I sorted it alphabetical and I found out, that older books (from beginning 2018 and older) are sorted like following: Title: A Material World book 1 is under 'M' and the newest book in the series Book 4 (and the German translations) are under letter 'A'.
Same with 'the' some are under 'T' and some are under the letter of the main word.
I want all under the first letter of the title.
In calibre is correct sorted.
title_series_sorting = 'strictly_alphabetic'
save_template_title_series_sorting = 'strictly_alphabetic'
per_language_title_sort_articles = {'eng': ('A\\s+', 'The\\s+', 'An\\s+'), 'deu': ('Der\\s+', 'Die\\s+', 'Das\\s+', 'Den\\s+', 'Ein\\s+', 'Eine\\s+', 'Einen\\s+', 'Dem\\s+', 'Des\\s+', 'Einem\\s+', 'Eines\\s+'), 'spa': ('El\\s+', 'La\\s+', 'Lo\\s+', 'Los\\s+', 'Las\\s+', 'Un\\s+', 'Una\\s+', 'Unos\\s+', 'Unas\\s+')} (I only need English, German and Spanish)
Metadata: any format - MTP_Device (I don't know, why it shows this with my fire) - {series} {series_index:0>2s||} - {title} - title

Where is my missing click, so that I have ALL books with articles under the first letter at the fire?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4397.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	168702   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4398.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	168703  
CGF-House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:13 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's likely those books are joint MOBIs produced by kindlegen or similar for which metadata cannot be updated. Convert them to azw3 in calibre and send that and you should be fine. Also make sure the title sort for those books is what you want in the edit metadata dialog.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2019, 10:22 PM   #3
CGF-House

Hi Kovid!

I had before all books in Mobi (because my old reader had problems with AZW3-format.

I tried now with one book to transform back in AZW3 and transfer to my fire. The same. It's the book 'Die A-Karte' from Carmilla Dewinter.
Then I thought, I download it again new from amazon, so I have the original file. But that's also a mobi-file in the origin.
So the same. It's under 'A' instead of 'D'. Sorting for metadata are all under 'strictly alphabetical'

At settings:
ID: title_series_sorting
# Titel- und Seriensortierung in Bibliotheksansicht festlegen
title_series_sorting = 'strictly_alphabetic'

ID: save_template_title_series_sorting
# Titel- und Serienformatierung bei Benutzung in Vorlagen festlegen
save_template_title_series_sorting = 'strictly_alphabetic'

ID: per_language_title_sort_articles
# Liste der Wörter festlegen, die als Artikel aufgefasst werden
per_language_title_sort_articles = {'deu': ('Der\\s+', 'Die\\s+', 'Das\\s+', 'Den\\s+', 'Ein\\s+', 'Eine\\s+', 'Einen\\s+', 'Dem\\s+', 'Des\\s+', 'Einem\\s+', 'Eines\\s+'), 'eng': ('A\\s+', 'The\\s+', 'An\\s+')}

ID: locale_for_sorting
# Beim Sortieren zu verwendende Sprache
locale_for_sorting = ''

My calibre is running in German language.

So I think, I have somewhere a mistake in it. But I don't know, where.
All books on my fire are in mobi.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:32 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Is the Language for the BOOK in Calibre shown as German?
Is the title_sort field in the Metadata editor Green (value matches sort rules)?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:38 PM   #5
CGF-House

both: yes

at the english books it shows 'english language' and all matches in green.
Some are correct under 'A' and some not, but metafiles in calibre all identical.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5078.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	300.4 KB
ID:	168978   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5079.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	168979  

Last edited by CGF-House; 01-09-2019 at 11:20 PM.
Advert
Old 01-10-2019, 04:41 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From what you show, you did it correctly.
It must be Amazon 'fixing' your metadata on the Fire.

Other places to look: The Metadata Plugboard. Are you using {title} or {title_sort} there? (Since the tweak was strictly_alphabetic, it really should not matter)

In the Device driver: is the Read metadata from device : ticked?
Old 01-10-2019, 06:34 AM   #7
CGF-House

Hi!

I use {title}

And where at the device I would find that 'In the Device driver: is the Read metadata from device : ticked'
Sorry, I'm not sooo fit. I tried today to use the Calibre Companion (because it's a faster transfer, I thought) and now I have the problem, all 2000 books from today at the reader are now DRM locked and I cant open them again. But some are also working. So deleting all and back to USB-cable for transfer.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:02 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

The device driver is part of Calibre. WHEN the device is connected: you can 'configure' it. Right-click the device-view icon
We can't answer DRM questions. If Alf had liberated your library, then it should not matter, OR if those books were registered to a (registered) device owned by the same user ACCOUNT
Old 01-10-2019, 05:55 PM   #9
CGF-House

That I can choose, when I click at calibre at device icon and config:
{'device_version': u'1.0',
'friendly_name': u'',
'has_bulk_properties': True,
'has_storage': True,
'manufacturer_name': u'Amazon',
'model_name': u'Fire',
'protocol': u'MTP: 1.00',
'serial_number': u'G0W0TE038332F164',
'storage': [{'capacity': 26583560192L,
'capacity_objects': 0L,
'description': u'Interner Speicher',
'filesystem': u'Generic hierarchical',
'free_objects': 1073741824L,
'free_space': 22727028736L,
'id': u's10001',
'name': u'Interner Speicher',
'rw': True,
'type': u'fixed_ram'}],
'type': 'media player'}

I don't see metadata from device. Maybe I'm blind.
The DRM problem is solved. I only have to new transfer all the books. Maybe calibre companion made the problem. Whyever. I own all the books and had it at every kindle, I ever used. So it's only unnecessary work.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:43 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Wow!
That is not what I expected. (that looks like the Properties of the device)

When I right-click the device_view Icon: configure device, I see a dialog box with a list of possible formats (some ticked), the some options near the bottom and the standard Accept /Cancel buttons
Old 01-10-2019, 07:29 PM   #11
CGF-House

It's version 3.36 for Windows XP 64bit.

That's, what I see, when I connect the fire (which is shown as MPT-Device and not as Fire, why-ever)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5085.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	280.8 KB
ID:	168987   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5087.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	334.7 KB
ID:	168988   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5088.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	337.7 KB
ID:	168989  
Old 01-10-2019, 07:58 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
All modern Fire's are MTP devices and use the MTP driver.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:18 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGF-House View Post
It's version 3.36 for Windows XP 64bit.

That's, what I see, when I connect the fire (which is shown as MPT-Device and not as Fire, why-ever)
How did you force Calibre 3.x to install on XP?
The last XP version was 1.8x
Old 01-10-2019, 08:32 PM   #14
CGF-House

Ah ok... but not helping with my article-sort-problem.... lol.
Btw, will it be someday possible to transfer direct the collections from calibre to the fire, like before to the kindle ebook years ago. Or is amazon blocking that idea?
Old 01-10-2019, 09:20 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGF-House View Post
Ah ok... but not helping with my article-sort-problem.... lol.
Btw, will it be someday possible to transfer direct the collections from calibre to the fire, like before to the kindle ebook years ago. Or is amazon blocking that idea?
Kindle collections PI does not work with the Fire and other newer device (It works with my K4. see the KC PI notes for device s).
Amazon made changes, so the necessary access is no longer available. Deliberate or accidental? Don't know. I do know, if I sync my K4 (that has collections) , the collections (names) appear on my Tablet and PC when synced.

Tags
articles, sort of articles