Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-05-2019, 10:35 AM   #1
wolffe
wolffe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire 8
Custom Tags Disappearing

Hello! I spent a ton of time categorizing my library with custom tags but every time I update Calibre they revert to the downloaded metadata tags. To change/edit the tags I'm double clicking in the 'tag' column and typing my own.

Am I doing it wrong? Is there a trick to getting tags to save? Do the tags always revert with updates and I should give up on organizing via tags?

I searched the documentation and forums but I couldn't find an answer. Any help appreciated!
wolffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:34 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
You are not doing what you say you are doing.
A Calibre Update simply replaces the PROGRAM with the version you downloaded.
It does not touch the DATA nor the Libraries books
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 12:19 PM   #3
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2
How exactly do you update Calibre? Normal updating should never remove any of your data.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 05:48 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@wolffe - calibre does not ship any tags in the install, the Quick Start Guide installed by the Welcome wizard is untagged.

Do you mean the tags that are embedded within the book format files. Editing the metadata in calibre will not change the format files embedded metadata. but it can be done via the Polish Books or Embed Metadata tools - some people prefer to retain their format files in 'mint' condition. The Save to Disk, Send to Device, Send by Mail can/will embed current metadata in the files saved/sent.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote