Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-24-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
WalkingDistance
Connoisseur
WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle 3
Book Review Blog Startup -- Need Suggestions

Hey guys,

So I'm thinking about starting a book/movie review blog. I just finished reviewing my first book (Water for Elephants - Sara Gruen). My goal is to point out some insightful things about books and also put in my own unique perspective into them.

I also want to approach this in pseudo-scientifically. Pseudo-scientifically meaning I'll approach this using a scientific method-- I'll form initial judgments before i dive in. I'll make observations on what I read and finally discuss the results. I say "pseudo" because firstly, my opinions are obviously very subjective and anyone in science will know that everyone looks at everyone's work with a fine-toothed comb and with HUGE amounts of skepticism. My goal isn't to dissect an author's work word-for-word.

Anyway, let me know what you think. I'm open to any suggestions and critiques.

http://walkingdiztance.blogspot.com/

There's more to come.

Last edited by WalkingDistance; 04-24-2011 at 09:53 PM.
WalkingDistance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:40 AM   #2
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
That's an interesting review/report. What does this mean,

"The flow of the book is very organic"

To me organic has very specific connotations, and I have applied it to many things, but perhaps never to books.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
chrisanthropic
Fiend
chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I like the format of the review. I like that you're honest about your initial thoughts on the book before you even read it, most of us make those assumptions and it's nice to see the honesty about it. I also like the breakdown at the end (Plot, Atmosphere, Character), since it helps define the strengths and weaknesses of the book in more detail than the simple 4/5 star rating.
chrisanthropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:31 AM   #4
WalkingDistance
Connoisseur
WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks!

I'm sorry I didn't specify on my use of the word "organic." What I mean is, the characters are believable and nothing feels robotic about them. They live, breathe, and act in very human ways.

I will add that to my review.

Also, I changed my ratings slightly because I'm scared my numbers are too inflated and don't leave room for growth.
WalkingDistance is offline   Reply With Quote