Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 07:01 AM   #1
trustno12003
trustno12003 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Using US Kindle Internationally

Hello

I've planned spending a week during my holidays in US staying at a friend's house. I could buy a Kindle and have Amazon ship it to my friend address but I wonder if I will be having any issues when I use it in Spain. My idea is to buy the new model (Wifi only) so is there any limitation of the use depending on the country you buy it?

Regards
trustno12003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:13 AM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
The new Wi-fi model hasn't been released yet, so no-one has any hands-on experience with it. But, from what I've read, I can't see any reason why you can't use it in Spain. The whole point of a Wi-fi model is that it will be independent of the 3G cellular network, so should work anywhere in the world (provided you have a Wi-fi connection of course).

Keep in mind that the new model will be available direct from the Kindle stores in Europe. You won't have to buy it in, or from, the US. If it's released well before your trip, you might prefer to buy it before you leave and take it with you.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 07:21 AM   #3
trustno12003
trustno12003 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Thank you, Mike, I will be looking at the European Markets as well.

Regards
trustno12003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:07 AM   #4
Noosahead
Noosahead began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hello,
I am a resident of Switzerland but mainly read English language books so the shortage of other language titles is not an issue for me. I travel a lot and have easy access to wifi hotspots. I am interested in buying the new WiFi only Kindle for $ 139, which seems to me to be an Amazon loss-leading marketing bargain, to be financed through book / magazine purchases of the new customers.
Partly because of the US-only availability of some material (in particular The Economist subscription) and the generally lower price of US titles, I would be interested in setting up a US account. I understand that this is very straightforward even if it might involve payment through Amazon gift vouchers to get around the problem of not having a US issued credit card for payments.
And now my question:
Is there still a $1.99 surcharge for US account holders buying material when outside the US and using WiFi only for connections? Is this surcharge intended to cover 3G roaming charges or actually a VAT / sales tax? I am very confused by this and also by reports I have read here that the $ 1.99 is being phased out anyway.
A second question (if anybody is in a position to answer)... if I set up a subscription to The Economist as a US account holder and then attempt to download the weekly issues in Europe where the subscription is not available, will this be possible or restricted because my hotspot / IP address is recognised as being outside the US?
I am not a techy despite my earlier-adopter interest and do not know how easy it is in practice to hide the IP address of my hotspot so that amazon.com does not see me as "foreign".
Many thanks for your advice on these questions.
Kindle seems quite fantastic as a way for me to obtain English language books at really competitive rates. Germany and Austria do not allow any discounting of current book prices by law (!), so Amazon.de competes by offering free delivery on purchases of over €20, but no discount on cover prices of German books. Imagine that!
The alternative for me is to buy books from amazon.uk or US and then incur high postage rates and / or import duties. It seems to me that Kindle offers me a great way avoid these costs.
Look forward to your answers and opinions,

Noosahead
Noosahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:40 AM   #5
rapidblue
Connoisseur
rapidblue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 / Kindle Voyage / Kindle Touch
I use a US Amazon account on my Kindle abroad. Yes, they did originally charge an extra $1.99 to download a book directly to your Kindle over 3G. This has changed in the last few months though - Amazon no longer charges the extra $1.99 to download a book over 3G.

Here's a snippet from the new Kindle 3 User's Guide:

"U. S. Customers Traveling Outside The U. S.
For U. S. customers traveling outside the United States, there is no additional charge to have your books, periodical subscriptions, and personal documents delivered to your Kindle if you connect to Whispernet using Wi-Fi.
For Kindle models that include 3G, books and single issues of periodicals will be delivered via 3G at no additional cost, but 3G delivery of personal documents will be charged per megabyte. Delivery of periodical subscriptions via 3G is available if you sign up for the International Subscription Service. This service offers the convenience of 3G delivery for a weekly fee. When you travel outside the U. S., Amazon automatically sends a notice to your Kindle Home screen with instructions on how to sign up for the International Subscription Service. If you don’t choose to sign up for this service, your periodicals will be delivered at no additional charge only when you are connected to Whispernet using Wi-Fi. Alternatively, you can download your periodicals to your computer and then transfer them to your Kindle via USB."
rapidblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #6
Noosahead
Noosahead began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for that rapidblue... so by using WiFi and avoiding the need to use 3G and the International Subscription Service there should be no $ 1.99 charge.

Out of curiosity I compared the UK and US Kindle prices for the last 5 paperbacks which I bought from Amazon UK last week and was surprised to discover that all titles were significantly more expensive with a US account than a UK account. Examples: Tripwire ($11.18 US and $7.40 UK), Agent Zigzag ($ 11.89 US and $ 6.57 UK) and Lacuna ($ 10.70 US & $ 6.67 UK). Since these prices include VAT European sales tax I am rather surprised.
Noosahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:06 PM   #7
jholanda
jholanda began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
book prices are always 1.99 more expensive when you have an international account using whispernet or not.
jholanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:00 PM   #8
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Whether or not book prices are more expensive really depends upon the country you have listed on the Manage My Kindle page. For instance - most book prices in Canada are $2 more expensive than the same book in the United States.

However, I frequently find prices in the United Kingdom that are considerably less expensive than in the United States, mostly because the United Kingdom does not have Agency Pricing and Amazon can discount the books.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:19 AM   #9
rapidblue
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholanda View Post
book prices are always 1.99 more expensive when you have an international account using whispernet or not.
True. But if you use a US account abroad then you will pay the standard US price (1.99 less than most international accounts) and not pay the 1.99 anymore to download via 3G
Old 09-02-2010, 07:47 AM   #10
JainaSJedi
Enthusiast
JainaSJedi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Hi,

I am brand new here, so please bear with me. I am also in the US right now.

I currently own a Sony PRS-505, but will be traveling extensively next year starting in Australia and New Zealand. However, I want to use the Kindle store to purchase books on the go. So I am very interested in upgrading to the Kindle 3, but am not sure if I should get the WiFi or the 3G version.

First, are there any extra fees to use the 3G version abroad (is the $2 roam fee gone?). Are there any fees to transfer books purchased with a US Kindle account via USB, WiFi, or 3G? I am just trying to find the most cost effective way of purchasing ebooks from Amazon while I am outside the US.

Thank you.
JainaSJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:51 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I believe that you will be charged $2 extra if you download a book via 3G while you're outside the US (I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong). There are no charges if you transfer it via USB or WiFi. Personally I'd get the 3G version; I find being able to look up information about the places I'm visiting to be extremely useful while travelling, and you'll find that free public WiFi isn't nearly as common elsewhere as it is in the US.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:36 AM   #12
rapidblue
Connoisseur

There used to be an extra $2 surcharge on 3G downloads abroad. This changed a few months ago - downloading single, items (like books) are now free abroad You will have to pay an extra $5 a week if you want to download periodicals/blogs etc if you want to use the 3G on those abroad, but if u don't pay the $5 then those periodicals/blogs will automatically download for free when connected to a wifi network.

So basically, downloading books abroad on 3G - free

Get the 3G model though - free wifi hotspots in Aus and NZ aren't as popular as in the States...

Last edited by rapidblue; 09-02-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:45 PM   #13
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Please help- I am thinking of having my parents bring over either a Kindle 3 or the DX Graphite to me in Greece. I have a few questions:
1. Are both of these models the "new" higher-contrast screen with faster page-turns?

2. The DX Graphite does not include wireless, but the 3G network covers Greece. Any guesses as to whether I'll have problems purchasing books since the device will be purchased in the US? Sounds like the answer would be "no problems" from the other posts. It also sounds as though I'll avoid the $2.30 wireless charge per book?

3. If I buy either Kindle, can I load books from my PC (or PC-Kindle appl) to the Kindle using the simple USB connection?

I'm thinking of the 9.7" since I have other, smaller readers and would like something different, even though the price is considerably more. Since it comes with a power plug it seems that I would only need to purchase a protective cover (I have a US-to-EU plug adapter), is this correct?

Thanks for any assistance!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:10 PM   #14
wesleyer
Connoisseur
wesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enough

Device: none
1- Yes.

2- Probably no problems, as long as the Kindle is registered as a US device. But nothing prevents Amazon from noticing that a US device is only connecting from Greece and locking that account.

3- Yes.
wesleyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:21 AM   #15
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Thanks, I don't like the way "locking the account" sounds...It will be registered to my (Greek) normal account in any case - I'd just like to purchase it in the US (like a gift). Maybe I'll try to ask Amazon directly.

Actually, I wonder if I can buy the International version and have it shipped to a US address? Can't hurt to try.

Last edited by rgeorg; 09-05-2010 at 02:38 AM.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote