Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-04-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
Stratagemo
Stratagemo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 700
Questions from Australia

Hello all,

I recently got my Sony PRS 700 and I am absolutely loving it! One of my best purchases in a while I think.

I've got some free books from the Sony ebook site, but I was wondering where Australian Sony users buy their ebooks from?

I was looking at the Dymocks site and they seem to have them, but I wanted to make sure that those are compatible with the Sony.

I don't have an overseas credit card, so I would very much need to be buying from a site that doesn't requrie an overseas credit card.

I'd appreciate any info or feedback you all could give me.

Thanks very much!

Ash
Stratagemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I buy UK ebooks all the time with a US credit card, and they seem to be happy to take international orders. I recommend WHSmith, where you want Adobe ePub (best) or Adobe PDF.

Most US ebook stores will accept international credit cards but you have to work around geographic restrictions on ebooks. Books on Board is probably the single best of these for PRS-700 ebooks (buy Adobe ePub, or Adobe Digital Editions which are usually PDFs). The trick is to set your country of residence to US, buy a gift certificate with your credit card and then use the gift certificate to pay for the ebooks.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2009, 11:15 PM   #3
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Alternatively, if you like Science Fiction and Fantasy you can just buy from Baen Books. www.baen.com for their main web page; www.webscription.net for the ebook sale site. No geographic restrictions, good prices and NO DRM!

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:51 PM   #4
mike_berriman
mike_berriman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hi Ash,

I've bought books from Baen (as above) for SF/Fantasy, but for other books I've used Dymocks (tiny range) and Diesel Ebooks (http://www.diesel-ebooks.com/). None of them do the "Lets be bastards to the rest of the planet" thing, so are quite happy to sell you ebooks. Formats get a bit trickier, but by reflowing the PDF or using the Epub format, or converting the MS Reader formats it's not a big problem.

As mentioned, there are a number of other sites that use your ISP location, not your credit card number to determine your location. This means that if you're lucky enough to have access to machines in the US (via your company etc) then you can still buy them with your Aus credit card.

The two funniest things for Aussie Sony owners are :
1) Sony bookstore won't work. Clever of them to think that the reader wouldn't get outside the US in this day and age.
2) www.ebooks.com is a huge ebook web site - based in Perth (5 minutes drive from where I am now) and I can't buy most of their books.

Some days the irony just gets to me.
mike_berriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:17 AM   #5
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_berriman View Post
Hi Ash,

The two funniest things for Aussie Sony owners are :
1) Sony bookstore won't work. Clever of them to think that the reader wouldn't get outside the US in this day and age.
The Sony bookstore works fine from Oz for free ebooks as long as you pretend you're from the US when you create your account.Then get one of the nice people here on mobileread to buy you a gift certificate and you can use that to purchase ebooks.
I also use booksonboard(I pay via paypal but you can also use Aussie Credit card if you want) and WH Smiths in the UK(paying by Aussie credit card)
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2009, 12:20 AM   #6
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
Mike, out of interest where is ebook.com based in Perth? I live in Perth and didn't know about it!

Strategemo,

Have a look at Fictionwise.com. They have a lot of DRM-free books (meaning they will work on any device that accepts the file type). I've not bought a single book with DRM, yet I've bought enough stuff to keep me busy for quite a while.
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:54 AM   #7
mike_berriman
mike_berriman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hi djgreedo,

Off their web site :

Australian Office

eBooks Corporation
62 Bayview Terrace
Claremont
Western Australia

Annoying, isn't it
mike_berriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:29 PM   #8
elvee
elvee began at the beginning.

Device: bebook, bebook mini, sony Prs 600, Sony Prs650 Kobo Touch, Kindle Tou
I suggest you try Diesel book store. I have no trouble at all with them. Good luck.

Regards

elvee
elvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:22 AM   #9
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
G'day, Ash. Pop into my own site (www.bewrite.net) and drop me an email of any titles that grab you. I'd be delighted to send them to you free of charge to get you going. They're PDF-only right now, but they read fine on a Sony and can be converted to ePub using Calibre software. Many Oz authors there, by the way. Cheers. Neil. ntmarrATbewrite (use the @ sign)
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote