Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
AdemoS
AdemoS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Highlighting a .Mobi Ebook

I liked how highlights on the Kindle Paperwhite, would be synced (and stored) on Amazon's servers. I also liked how highlights could be viewed on kindle.amazon.com.

However, the marketing for that feature only mentioned ebooks from the Kindle Store.

===

So I was curious if public domain ebooks, (specifically .mobi ebooks from Project Gutenberg) could be highlighted the same way that Kindle Store books can be.

Additionally, would highlights from those .mobi ebooks, be available on kindle.amazon.com?

Last edited by AdemoS; 09-10-2012 at 05:20 PM.
AdemoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
I think you would simply send the Project Gutenberg book to your Kindle. Here's a good description of how it works - http://www.teleread.com/paul-biba/ki...-it-all-works/
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdemoS View Post
I liked how highlights on the Kindle Paperwhite, would be synced (and stored) on Amazon's servers. I also liked how highlights could be viewed on kindle.amazon.com.

However, the marketing for that feature only mentioned ebooks from the Kindle Store.

===

So I was curious if public domain ebooks, (specifically .mobi ebooks from Project Gutenberg) could be highlighted the same way that Kindle Store books can be.

Additionally, would highlights from those .mobi ebooks, be available on kindle.amazon.com?
Yes. But for this to work you have to e-mail the document to your kindle's e-mail address. If you sideload with the USB cable, Amazon won't know about it.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This isn't a feature just for the PW. So please change the topic title as it's misleading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
As was said above, you will need to email the book to your device - not side-load it via USB.

See:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...0375630&#email

Note also that emailing documents to yourself and downloading them to your Kindle via 3G is not free. And, depending on your settings, you might not receive any notification of the charge until after the fact. I was kind of surprised myself when I found out I had been charged the first time.

Of course, downloading via WiFi is free.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
AdemoS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
I think you would simply send the Project Gutenberg book to your Kindle. Here's a good description of how it works - http://www.teleread.com/paul-biba/ki...-it-all-works/
Thanks for the idea, this service is certainly a good use of Amazon's cloud services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
Yes. But for this to work you have to e-mail the document to your kindle's e-mail address. If you sideload with the USB cable, Amazon won't know about it.
Aha, so to see my ebook highlights on kindle.amazon.com, I have to first send my ebook to my online Kindle Library. Thanks for your insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
As was said above, you will need to email the book to your device - not side-load it via USB.

See:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...0375630&#email

Note also that emailing documents to yourself and downloading them to your Kindle via 3G is not free. And, depending on your settings, you might not receive any notification of the charge until after the fact. I was kind of surprised myself when I found out I had been charged the first time.

Of course, downloading via WiFi is free.
Woah, I didn't realize downloading my personal ebooks via Kindle's 3G service would cost money. Thanks a lot for the warning.

Emailing ebooks to my Kindle would result in using my email storage, (until deletion) so I wanted to know if there was another way to send ebooks to my Kindle.

As I expected, the "Send To Kindle" software was only available for Windows and Mac OSX. But luckily, Amazon also provides a Google Chrome extension.

So for Linux users like myself, the Chrome extension will be a useful transfering tool:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle/chrome

Edit: My mistake! The "Send to Kindle" Chrome extension, is not made for ebooks. So it seems I will need to use my email account, contrary to my previous thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This isn't a feature just for the PW. So please change the topic title as it's misleading.
I apologize for the confusion. Before I change the topic title though, perhaps you can help me craft a more concise label.

I wanted to communicate the following specifics:
- Fifth Generation Kindle series
- The paperwhite screen, (Kindle Paperwhite) rather than the IPS screen (Kindle Fire HD, source)

I thought the most consise way to communicate those specifics, was by using the model name "Kindle Paperwhite" within my thread's subject. The reason for these specifics, is to avoid any reference to older Kindle hardware. Since older hardware wouldn't pertain to my question.

However, if you know of a more appropriate label to communicate my specific request, please let me know.

Last edited by AdemoS; 09-10-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just get rid of [Kindle Paperwite] from the topic as the highlighting applies to other Kindle models as well.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #8
AdemoS

Quote:
Just get rid of [Kindle Paperwite] from the topic as the highlighting applies to other Kindle models as well.
I don't post on this message board often, so I wasn't aware of the community's labeling preferences.

Thanks for your assistance.

Okay, that's a simple change.

It appears, changing the thread subject is not as simple as I guessed.

I have changed the first post's subject, but the thread title has not changed...So it may be necessary for a moderator to make this change.

Last edited by AdemoS; 09-10-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

You might have to get a moderator to do the topic change. Just report the first message and type in what you want.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:23 PM   #10
AdemoS

Quote:
You might have to get a moderator to do the topic change. Just report the first message and type in what you want.
Aha, thank you.