Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-06-2011, 06:49 PM   #31
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
I have an iPad, I read both technical and fiction books on it (as well as surf/movies/music etc) I also have a Hanlin v3 that I bought a few years before the iPad.

Despite having the iPad, I still use the Hanlin for reading most fiction books (prefer the iPad for reference books) as it's lighter to hold for extended periods and perfectly readable outdoors. The iPad I find unbearable/impossible to use outdoors.

I've no real preference over reading on LCD vs eInk in terms of eye strain, so far neither have been an issue for long periods of time. It's really just weight and indoor vs outdoor usage that determines which I use.

If I were only to have one device, I think I'd choose the eInk. I really wouldn't want to sacrifice the ability to read outdoors but could make do with my laptop/desktop rather than a tablet.

However, if outdoor reading isn't required, I find the iPad perfectly fine for reading plus all the other things it can do with the right apps.

Last edited by JoeD; 08-06-2011 at 06:54 PM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:37 AM   #32
Skip Wyona
Enthusiast
Skip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmos

Device: none
Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I can understand that LCD screens can cause eyestrain and I agree with your comments. I was just lucky that I spend a lot of time staring at Mac screens; both on computers, ipods, and borrowed iPads. I never experienced any eyestrain. I forgot about the constant eyestrain I experienced on the job staring at PC monitors and LCDs, and the cheap LCD I had a home attached to one of my Macs.
Also after reading some responses elsewhere on this forum, I now understand why text on e-readers seemed blurred to me. I was not aware how refresh actually worked. Now I do.

BTW, I did not mean it as a slight to use the phrase 'average joe'. Just to state that reading was my job. If you can call it reading when I had to learn to speed read, skip read, and selective read hundreds and hundreds of books a year.
Skip Wyona is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert