Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-31-2017, 10:35 AM   #1
Rouge One
Rouge One began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Classic
I have a question about 2 Sherlock Holmes books

I have 2 ebooks and I am trying to figure is the best one to keep and what the difference is between :

1. British Mystery Megapack Volume 5 - The Sherlock Holmes Collection: 4 Novels and 43 short stories + extras (Illustrated).

2. Sherlock Holmes: The Ultimate Collection (Illustrated)
Rouge One is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2017, 12:05 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rouge One View Post
I have 2 ebooks and I am trying to figure is the best one to keep and what the difference is between :

1. British Mystery Megapack Volume 5 - The Sherlock Holmes Collection: 4 Novels and 43 short stories + extras (Illustrated).

2. Sherlock Holmes: The Ultimate Collection (Illustrated)
If you have both ebooks, keep both.

You didn't provide links to the books you mentioned, so I couldn't check them. But Sherlock Holmes is in the public domain. Complete collections of all the Conan Doyle Holmes stories and novels are widely available for free.

Here is a list of all four novels, all five story collections and the fifty-six stories in those five collections. If either of your ebooks has all of these, then you are good. (I'm assuming you are just looking for the original Arthur Conan Doyle works and not all the endless follow-ups by other writers.)
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:11 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
If you have both ebooks, keep both.

You didn't provide links to the books you mentioned, so I couldn't check them. But Sherlock Holmes is in the public domain.
Mostly, that is. That's certainly true in countries with a "life + 70" copyright term, but the final book of SH short stories, "The Case-book of Sherlock Holmes", is not in the public domain in the US.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:39 PM   #4
Rouge One
Rouge One began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Classic
But I don’t want to keep both if I don’t have to and here is the links:
Ultimate Collection: https://www.amazon.com/Sherlock-Holm...ate+collection

Megapack Volume 5: https://www.amazon.com/British-Myste...herlock+Holmes
Rouge One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:49 PM   #5
SleepyBob
Addict
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
It looks like they have the same books and stories. File size is very similar. I would open each up to a random page and see if there is a noticeable difference in formatting or proofreading, otherwise I think it's a coin flip.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2017, 12:54 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They probably both come from the PG versions, which contain literally thousands of errors. I would humbly suggest that the OP try my "Sherlock Holmes Omnibus" from our very own MR library, which has been (very!) thoroughly proofread.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:01 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Mostly, that is... "The Case-book of Sherlock Holmes", is not in the public domain in the US.
I guess I never noticed as in both paper and e-book form, I have the Bantam Complete Sherlock Holmes, volumes 1 and 2. The Bantam Classics are usually public domain books.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:29 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'm moving this thread to the "Reading Recommendations" forum, where it's a better fit.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:33 PM   #9
Larla
Groupie
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Since the "ultimate" collection doesn't include the last book of short stories, I wonder what they will name the collection that has them all. Remind me, what is greater than ultimate?
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:45 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla View Post
Since the "ultimate" collection doesn't include the last book of short stories, I wonder what they will name the collection that has them all. Remind me, what is greater than ultimate?
I would say "Complete Collection" is better than "Ultimate Collection" as complete means there's nothing missing. Ultimate doesn't mean it's complete.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:51 PM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3G, Voyage WiFi;FireHD; Kobo: Aura One, Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rouge One View Post
But I don’t want to keep both if I don’t have to and here is the links:
Ultimate Collection: https://www.amazon.com/Sherlock-Holm...ate+collection

Megapack Volume 5: https://www.amazon.com/British-Myste...herlock+Holmes

I'm sorry, but you must keep both!

We'll be checking on you!

Just joking.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:58 PM   #12
kansaskyle
Groupie
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Touch
Quote:
They probably both come from the PG versions, which contain literally thousands of errors. I would humbly suggest that the OP try my "Sherlock Holmes Omnibus" from our very own MR library, which has been (very!) thoroughly proofread.
Thanks HarryT. I pulled down the epub version from the MR library.

Is there any recommended reading order?
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:05 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Please delete it, Kyle. I did tell you above that a complete Sherlock Holmes omnibus is not in the US public domain.

Thanks.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:16 PM   #14
kansaskyle
Groupie
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Please delete it, Kyle. I did tell you above that a complete Sherlock Holmes omnibus is not in the US public domain.

Thanks.
Sorry, I glossed over that part about the final collection of short stories not being in the public domain in the US.

Is there a MR version that doesn't include the final collection of short stories?

Last edited by kansaskyle; 10-31-2017 at 07:21 PM.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:48 PM   #15
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaskyle View Post
Thanks HarryT. I pulled down the epub version from the MR library.

Is there any recommended reading order?
Why not read them sequentially?

Holmes and Watson meet in A Study in Scarlet, so read that first.

The rest in sequential order (by publication) would be:

The Sign of the Four
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes
The Hound of the Baskervilles
The Return of Sherlock Holmes
His Last Bow
The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes