Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 03-13-2010, 02:44 PM   #1
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Question Kids and eBook Readers

Contrary to my better sense, I have let both my 4½ year old niece and my 20-month old nephew play with my Libre. The little guy is totally fascinated with the "book", plugs in the earphone, tries out all the buttons (and has even figured out how to turn it on) and studies the screen as if he was reading it. My niece, who is beginning to read, is also intrigued by it and has already asked me if I would get her one. I gave her the "when you are a little older" line, mainly because I want her to practice her reading on "real" books where there are pictures, colors and different font types and book sizes.

But it made me realize how easily both adapt to the technology and how both of them have no problem figuring out how to work the devices, which speaks well for the design of the reader.

So what about the rest of you, have you allowed children to use your Libres or Jetbooks?
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
uRwhatUr
Groupie
uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
So what about the rest of you, have you allowed children to use your Libres or Jetbooks?
Yes! My 14 year old has always hated to read. I asked him to use it for his required school reading and he finds it more enjoyable. So I let him use it often. My 10 year old loves to read like myself. He rarely uses my Libre but CONSTANTLY uses my Zune!
uRwhatUr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:03 PM   #3
Berylmary
Enthusiast
Berylmary began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus, iPod Touch 3G, Sony PRS600, iPhone 3Gs
My grandaughter ,age 7 , adores my iPod Touch. I have The Cat in the Hat and ABC Dr Seuss on it and she reads all the words she can and just touches the screen to hear it read when she gets stuck. She was not terribly interested in books on the eReaders because of the lack of colour and no sound.
Berylmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:29 PM   #4
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Good topic!
My 2.5 years son loves jetBook and jetBook-Lite, read ABC illustrated books in ePub format, change fonts, rotate the screen and even set auto page mode in the setting menu . He may spend 20-30 minutes playing with jetBooks and enjoy it very much.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:34 AM   #5
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll have to look into children's books for the youngest one. I've been setting the Libre to full zoom and point out the different letters to him.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:23 AM   #6
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
I'll have to look into children's books for the youngest one. I've been setting the Libre to full zoom and point out the different letters to him.
I downloaded all these picture books in ePub format and my son likes it very much:
http://www.snee.com/epubkidsbooks/
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:29 PM   #7
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Not a Jetbook, but a Sony, yes. I turned it loose on the five-year-olds at school. Th biggest problem that I see with little kids is how touchy-touchy they are when they read. They point at every word. So if you have a non-touchscreen reader they are going to get it very smudgy and if you have a touchscreen reader it could be a disaster because they might accidentally turn the pages every time they touch a word. If I had kids, I would happily get them their own reader once they hit the chapter book stage but I would not buy one for a little kid.

However, I do think kiddies tend to emulate their parents. Most of us who are heavy readers probably were read to as a child and had books in our homes. Monkey see, monkey do, right? The kids want to be like their parents. So if I had a child and I had an ebook reader I would certainly expect the child to be curious about it and I would read on it with the child, even before the point of getting them their own. Then they would want one and it would be a very special day for them when they finally get their own and get to come to the family computer with Mom or Dad and load it up with books.

Last edited by ficbot; 03-16-2010 at 02:00 AM.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:32 AM   #8
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

Thanks for that link, Kris777.

ficbot - I know what you mean about the screen getting smudged. There's always fingerprints all over it (and usually some undefined kid ooze - lol). My nephew, of course, tried to taste it once.

You're right about the monkey-see-monkey-do, at least in my own case. We had bookcases of books in our living room when I was growing up, so of course I had to explore them. And my parents got those Time-Life science and nature series books that had lots and lots of pictures in them, so they were well-worn by the time the last sibling came along. One of the greatest days in my life was when I got my first library card. My niece now takes out one library book a week and she's in seventh heaven about it.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:05 AM   #9
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Heh, my dad had the time-life 'mysteries' series---I forget if that was really what it was called, but the books were all about stuff like UFOs and the pyramids and such. My sister and I were very into them.

I think that my world will always be a mix of print and ebook because I already have a lot of books, love the library, buy certain kinds of books (including children's books) in paper over e etc. So if I ever do have kids, I am sure they will be bookworms, and I am sure they will be surrounded by paper books and have early e-experience. My experience as a teacher has been that the kids understand very well when is the appropriate time for technology. When we are all reading something together and I run a Powerpoint version on my netbook for them, that's great. And when I say now we will all pull out our books and read, that's great too. They seem to have no problems with both things being books, both things being reading and both things being just fine depending on the situation. The ones who have seen my ebook reader up close are the ones who stay for after-school care a few days a week, which I supervise. And I think they just assume that I have so many books to carry around with me that I would not be able to carry them all unless I had a computer for it. Which is true
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote