Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-11-2014, 01:06 PM   #1
ZioNemo
Enthusiast
ZioNemo began at the beginning.

Device: HTC-p3000
"Content" support

Is there some standardized way to support book "content"?

By "content" I mean:
some books are collections of loosely related "parts"; e.g.: anthologies containing novels, magazines containing articles or simply multi-part books.
Each of those parts is kind like a book in itself, with title, a possibly different author, etc.
The actual content, however, is often bundled in the same file.

What is the "Right Way" to handle those books?
ZioNemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:17 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZioNemo View Post
Is there some standardized way to support book "content"?

By "content" I mean:
some books are collections of loosely related "parts"; e.g.: anthologies containing novels, magazines containing articles or simply multi-part books.
Each of those parts is kind like a book in itself, with title, a possibly different author, etc.
The actual content, however, is often bundled in the same file.

What is the "Right Way" to handle those books?
There is no 'Right' way .

Some folk split the book ( EPUB Split PI)
Some folk make a 'Empty Book' Entry with a note (comments or custom field) of where it really is: Calibre does not have a 'Link to', unfortunatly

I usually put the Editors name in Authors: Name (ed)
and , paste the list of authors into 'comments' . I also set a Tag: Anthologies
I sometimes buy books by Author, but usually just read by Series or date acquired
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:18 PM   #3
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
There is no "right way". It is a personal inclination thing. Some people like those pieces separated out, some people don't. Some people use the plugin ePubSplit. Some people use Edit Book, Sigil, text editor, or word processor to split them. Some people don't bother.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:25 PM   #4
ZioNemo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
There is no "right way". It is a personal inclination thing.
I was not clear:
I do not want to split the content.
I wanted to know if Calibre supports (eventually with some plugin) displaying the added metadata available in this kind of books.
Essentially a "Super Tags" column would be needed, i.e.: a column where I can add, in an ordered way (at least), seq.No., title, author, start-page and comment for each of the "parts".
These should be displayed in a kind of table.

From comments I guess nothing like this is available, am I wrong?
Old 02-11-2014, 02:35 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZioNemo View Post
I was not clear:
I do not want to split the content.
I wanted to know if Calibre supports (eventually with some plugin) displaying the added metadata available in this kind of books.
Essentially a "Super Tags" column would be needed, i.e.: a column where I can add, in an ordered way (at least), seq.No., title, author, start-page and comment for each of the "parts".
These should be displayed in a kind of table.

From comments I guess nothing like this is available, am I wrong?
Does support includes 'Custom Columns'?
You can make those yourself.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:32 PM   #6
ZioNemo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Does support includes 'Custom Columns'?
You can make those yourself.
Not really (unless I'm missing something fundamental).
Custom Column will provide me with one additional slot per book.
I could actually add CC for each of the above fields, but that is not what I need: I need a series o CCs with multiple (up to a few tens) slots for each book, one for each "part".

I COULD fake this with tag-like fields (i.e.: separating the parts with commas), but that would display completely wrong.

A real example:

Spoiler:
Code:
Autore:		A.A.V.V.
Titolo:		Italian Cyberpunk
Editore:	Millelire Stampa Alternativa, 1995
Tipo:		Fantascienza
Pagine:		184
Edition:	Ebook
Reference #:BL00106
Rating:		***

Categoria:	Fantascienza
Trama:		8 racconti inediti
Secondo lo scrittore Bruce Sterling, lo sviluppo vertiginoso ed incontrollato dell’informatica e dell’interazione elettronica con tutte le attività umane ha portato ad un improvviso mutamento delle prospettive, tanto che la letteratura cyberpunk, da aggressiva propedeutica di un modo immaginifico per descrivere il futuro, si è tramutata in sintassi corrente, in espressione politica e ideologica di un diverso modo d’interagire tra biologia e sviluppo tecnologico.
Se in Italia esiste un filone letterario in qualche modo simile non solo a livello ideologico, ma anche e soprattutto come genere letterario al filone americano, allora questa antologia è sicuramente la risposta migliore alle nostre domande.

Note:		Bluebook_0106_Ita_AA.VV.Italian_Cyberpunk.rar
Contents:
1) Virtual Killer			: Stefano di Marino	:   5
2) La Corsa Di Jimmy Boot		: Giampaolo Proni	:  21
3) Dimensione				: Franco Forte		:  39
4) Il Mistero Del Sashimi Ad Orologeria	: Marco Pensante	:  70
5) Saluti Dal Lago Di Mandelbrot	: Franco Ricciardiello	: 112
6) Acciaio				: Franco Forte		: 148
7) Carcinoma Tango			: Domenico Gallo	: 157
8) We Live In A List			: Pina D'aria		: 192

Is there a way to get this effect? (remember the actual book content is in a single bundle)
Old 02-11-2014, 03:56 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@ZioNemo - maybe you could use a Custom Column of type Comments

Comments are chunks of HTML so its possible to create a tabular form that uses Javascript, perhaps to add and delete rows etc.

Also, there's a widget in the Comments editor to insert links to say a website or a local file or folder, which could be within a calibre library.

Custom comments can be edited via the book list cells in a resizeable window, probably best to put them behind a suitable icon using Prefs->Look and Feel->Column icons, which is displayed only if the custom comment exists.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:49 PM   #8
ZioNemo
Enthusiast

Sounds like plan

I'll dig into it.
Thanks!