Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-25-2022, 03:27 PM   #61
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Please do. I've been playing around with it (appimage) off and on, but I always get discouraged. The real hurdle for me has been getting a relocatable appimage directory created with all of the Qt dependencies and a working Python installation that will support both Sigil's embedded python routines and third-party plugins' external python usage (using the same library locations).

AppImage itself complicates things by making it difficult to build a working image with anything other than the oldest supported Ubuntu LTS version (which is insufficient for Sigil's Web engine requirements) for, frankly idealistic reasons, in my opinion.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-25-2022 at 03:29 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 03:55 PM   #62
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Yes, building a fully relocatable python for macOS is a big pain. I will start with that and see if I can get that working first for Linux.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2022, 04:15 PM   #63
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've found many ways to get a relocatable version of Python pretty easily. But none are built with --enable-shared. Meaning they're useless to Sigil. Here's a few links to tools that assist with creating the appimage directories (and images). The last seemed very hopeful, but it doesn't provide Python with shared library support. It's still useful for creating relocatable python installations for Linux in general, though.

https://github.com/probonopd/linuxdeployqt

https://github.com/linuxdeploy

https://github.com/niess/python-appimage
Old 06-25-2022, 05:04 PM   #64
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you checked out the last one's relocate.py script?

https://github.com/niess/python-appi...ge/relocate.py

That script uses RPATHS and $ORIGIN to fix all the shared libs to be relative to the python executable. This is exactly how I make the macOS python build relocatable using otool and install_name tools of macOS to fix rpaths instead of patchelf.

So it should work with building a shared library version of python.

Might be worth a shot.
Old 06-25-2022, 05:30 PM   #65
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I've glanced at it. I did something similar back when I was providing an "unofficial" binary Sigil .deb package. But with that last project link, I was primarily focused on the python wrapper scripts that ensured no library calls went outside of the appimage.
Advert
Old 06-26-2022, 11:39 AM   #66
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Also why are relocatable pip installs even necessary?

Are there 3rdparty plugins out there that need modules that are not currently supported via our plugin interface? If so, are there any we should be adding support for?

MacOs uses pip to install our standard packages and then converts python to be fully relocatable so handling new pip modules is not an issue. If people want to use an external python for running plugins where they control all python modules available, they can do that, but not with the embedded relocatable python.

What am I missing?
Old 06-26-2022, 12:26 PM   #67
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I don't think you're missing anything. It has always been my opinion that anyone wanting additional modules (other than those included with the official bundle) should simply use an external python for plugins. We don't need a functioning, relocateable pip in our bundled python in my opinion.

EDIT: if you're asking in regard to the neiss/python-appimage project, I think the notion is that you can extract any of their appimage python versions, install extra modules with pip and then package it all back up as an appimage again.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-26-2022 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-26-2022, 03:23 PM   #68
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebski View Post
I am using the Flatpak install and am having issues with Search/Replace. Simply put it doesn't work at all, neither the items on the Menu Search or the little icons on the end of the Find/Replace/Mode/Options box. Would anybody have a suggestion, please?

After moving to Linux I appear to be having a succession of issues but, while waiting for developments to catch up, is there a Linux epub editor that can be recommended as I would like to get on with projects and which are now stalled.
Did you try running 'flatpak upgrade' from the command-line by chance?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-26-2022 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-27-2022, 03:05 AM   #69
DicerX
DicerX began at the beginning.

Device: iOS
Thumbs down Hate the update with passion

This will probably be my first and last time commenting on an update thread, but please know that the redesign has made the app near unusable for me. Whenever I switch to regex mode, it gets stuck there, and I have to reinstall the damn thing to get it to stick to normal. It gets even worse as you opted to use icons smaller than the size of atoms, half of which are IDENTICAL I know that your answer will probably be, "hey they're in different colours so you should know better." All that considered, I just want to ask why? When did someone ask to "please destroy the only feature we use 100% of the time," just tell me who.

Sincerly

Someone who cares
DicerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 06:04 AM   #70
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

We'll miss you.

Sincerely,

Someone who finds overly-dramatic complaints about updates that people aren't forced to use quite humorous.

Seriously. Just downgrade and get on with your life. We won't mind.
Old 06-27-2022, 06:32 AM   #71
DicerX
DicerX began at the beginning.

Device: iOS
Why are you taking it personally? Were you the one that recommended that god-awful switch? I am already downgraded, but I can't stay that way forever; at some point, this will break, and I will have to update. I want people to know that this is ****, and since I have made that abundantly clear, I can only hope that this gets reverted to word description only or with a theme that replaces the icons with something coherent.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-27-2022 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Profanity edited
DicerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 06:38 AM   #72
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicerX View Post
Why are you taking it personally? Were you the one that recommended that god-awful switch? I am already downgraded, but I can't stay that way forever; at some point, this will break, and I will have to update. I want people to know that this is ****, and since I have made that abundantly clear, I can only hope that this gets reverted to word description only or with a theme that replaces the icons with something coherent.
I'm not taking it personally. Seems clear that you are the one doing that.

And no, it won't eventually break. The earliest versions of Sigil on Github will still happily run on your system. You'll be able to enjoy your favorite version for years and years.

1) The change won't be reverted
2) You're free to create the theme you're waiting for someone else to make for you
3) Watch your language

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-27-2022 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-27-2022, 07:55 AM   #73
romanf
romanf began at the beginning.

Device: none
He's right though. Find/Replace is broken.
romanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 08:24 AM   #74
KevinH
Sigil Developer

How in the world is Find Replace "broken" in any way?

Text buttons have been replaced by icon buttons and a series of checkboxes has been replaced by a pulldown menu of check boxes.

This frees up space for better use on screen limited laptops and older systems. Just think how much space those text based check boxes and buttons used up when translated into many languages other than English. It left no space on smaller screens for any of the docking widgets (like Preview).

And just how hard is it to think of "Find" when seeing a magnifying glass? Or "Count" when seeing a number sign? Then replace vs replace all become painfully evident.

And most importantly, no functionality has been lost. In fact, a highly requested feature "limit to text only" checkbox has even been added, along with 2 new find replace dialogs: "Dry Run ReplaceAll" and "Replacement Chooser".

The icons used can be changed by using different Sigil themes and even a custom theme is possible. See https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/IconThemes for more info.

No actual functionality has changed. If you are seeing breakage of any sort, my guess is your desktop theme is interfering in some way or some other system or Qt breakage has happened as the code itself has not changed. Find and Replace works exactly like it did in the previous release.

The only valid complaint made so far was that the newer icons might be too small for some people with accessibility issues. We have already made them 50% wider for the next release.

Being overly dramatic about a ui change from words to icons on buttons is just absurd!

If instead actual functionality has broken, then calmly report the bug and give details about your system and how to recreate what you are seeing (the breakage) and we will track it down and get it fixed.

Last edited by KevinH; 06-27-2022 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-27-2022, 10:14 AM   #75
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
methinks there is some trolling going on...both of the overly-dramatic complaints are first time posts on new accounts...
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote