Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-01-2022, 12:16 PM   #16
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Yep. It's a problem. We did find a setting for the tv that helps a bit, but with some shows, the music drowns out the dialogue. I think it was the show Cake Boss that I stopped watching because of the background music. Competition shows are the worst.
My Sony home theater sound system has two features that help a little, but not enough for some shows. It has a Voice feature which enhances voice to make it clearer by lowering some of the background noise. And a Night feature which lowers the background noise even more. But some shows are so noisy both features combined don't help enough. Plus TV commercials have started turning up the sound level again, so that would be too distracting as well.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 07:14 PM   #17
fduniho
Addict
fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, DX, PW4, PW5, Scribe; Likebook Mars; Fire HD 8; iPad
It's usually instrumental music, such as classical, new age, or electronic. If the lyrics aren't too distracting, I sometimes listen to progressive rock or foreign language music while reading. While reading particular books that were made into movies, I have listened to the soundtracks to those movies. For example, while reading Dracula last year, I was listening to various soundtracks to Dracula and Nosferatu movies.
fduniho is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2023, 07:36 PM   #18
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
If I play anything, it is usually classical music or movie background music.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 07:57 PM   #19
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
My favourite is the "sound of silence".

I read or listen to music not both at the same time. I find either the text distracts me from the music or vice versa.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 12:23 AM   #20
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thasaidon View Post
My favourite is the "sound of silence".

I read or listen to music not both at the same time. I find either the text distracts me from the music or vice versa.
I agree strongly.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2023, 12:55 AM   #21
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I enjoy reading with music on (usually classical but sometimes jazz or pop) if I'm reading in the living room. However, I do most of my reading at night in bed. I read in silence there. My apartment building is an acoustical mess and my neighbors would hear it if I played music in the bedroom. i don't like to read in bed with headphones on.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 03:58 AM   #22
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Reader
I like to read in silence. Although I am a music lover, I like to immerse myself in the written word, completely!
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 02:59 AM   #23
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
For me it's the sound of my enemies being crushed. And as they're driven before me hearing the lamentation of the women.
neil_swann80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 12:11 PM   #24
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
For me it's the sound of my enemies being crushed. And as they're driven before me hearing the lamentation of the women.
This would be a good option for you. It's one of my go to listens when Mom has the TV and I'm trying to read.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 04:58 AM   #25
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
I'll give it a listen, thanks!

But despite my "Barbaric" comment, I can't actually listen to anything when I read.

Update: I've found listening to "white noise" combined with some active noise cancelling headphones helps when stuck reading in noisy areas. I quite like rain, woodland sounds or an industrial hum, played on a loop. I tend to try and pair the variant of white noise to the theme/genre.

Last edited by neil_swann80; 04-23-2023 at 06:00 AM.
neil_swann80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 10:11 AM   #26
Tetsuo1981
Tetsuo1981 can extract oil from cheeseTetsuo1981 can extract oil from cheeseTetsuo1981 can extract oil from cheeseTetsuo1981 can extract oil from cheeseTetsuo1981 can extract oil from cheeseTetsuo1981 can extract oil from cheeseTetsuo1981 can extract oil from cheeseTetsuo1981 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocketbook 840
I listen to soundtrack music / scores when reading. I find if there's singing it puts me off what I'm reading!! Being a Nine Inch Nails fan I listen to a lot of soundtracks by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross
Tetsuo1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 06:02 PM   #27
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I'm not really bothered by ambient noise when reading. Perhaps the following quotes attributed to Genghis Khan might be useful to others?

“The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters.”

"The pleasure and joy of man lies in treading down the rebel and conquering the enemy, in tearing him up by the root, in taking from him all that he has."

"I am the Flail of God. If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon You." , said during his campaign in Persia.

"Conquering the world on horseback is easy; it is dismounting and governing that is hard."
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 02:49 AM   #28
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Silence, I have nothing playing when I'm reading. If any music that has lyrics is playing, I can't shut it out. Even instrumental without the lyrics...I can't tune it out. When I read, it's a solo act.
I am exactly the same.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote