Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-21-2023, 01:50 PM   #31
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Doh! That's where I heard it! Sorry for stealing your joke.
I seem to remember seeing a couple of very similar quotes on Reddit a while back. Remember, steal from one person and it's plagiarism, steal from multiple people and it's research.

Thank you, Google! A quick search on Google with "I ordered a book called How to Scam People" came up with these two links and several others:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dadjokes/co...people_online/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Jokes/comme...people_online/

Last edited by DNSB; 03-21-2023 at 01:54 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 02:41 PM   #32
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I think it predates the Internet.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 02:58 PM   #33
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I seem to remember seeing a couple of very similar quotes on Reddit a while back. Remember, steal from one person and it's plagiarism, steal from multiple people and it's research.
Yeah, I saw it on (and stole it from) Reddit, which is why I forgot it was already in this conversation
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 03:46 PM   #34
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:

Thank you, Google! A quick search on Google with "I ordered a book called How to Scam People" came up with these two links and several others:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dadjokes/co...people_online/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Jokes/comme...people_online/
I think I first saw it when somebody on a Discord server sent a screenshot of one of those two subreddits. A rather circular journey!
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 06:26 PM   #35
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Somewhat off topic but on the topic of quotes, a friend of mine was commenting on his GF's habit of nibbling on wild pants. Evidently, her response was that "everything natural is edible". His rather cynical response was "at least once". I was reminded of that comment decades later when reading Terry Patchett's Discworld Almanak. Under the month of Ember, there was:

Quote:
we can assure our readers, whom we wish to preserve, that there are only two facts to bear in mind when selecting fungi:

ALL FUNGI ARE EDIBLE.

SOME FUNGI ARE NOT EDIBLE MORE THAN ONCE.
Old 03-21-2023, 06:53 PM   #36
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Somewhat off topic but on the topic of quotes, a friend of mine was commenting on his GF's habit of nibbling on wild pants.
I know that was a typo, but...
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 07:35 PM   #37
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Some things shouldn't be discussed in a family-friendly forum.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 09:35 PM   #38
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
I was terribly confused until I saw this post.

Reminds me of that one hilariously bad fanfic with the line "the pants were dead"

Last edited by ownedbycats; 03-21-2023 at 09:47 PM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 09:53 PM   #39
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Sorry about that folks!

To let it stand or to edit... That is the question.
Old 03-22-2023, 12:22 PM   #40
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Self standing pants?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 03:00 AM   #41
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
As a disabled person: please, I'm begging people to not use the term differently abled. We're disabled.
Exactly. In addition to that a self-quote from the "current phrases you can't stand" thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
what I really hated was "differently abled" (is that still in use?) in English. Differently?
Unless you can prove that you develop psionic powers or tastebuds on your fingertips when I cut your legs off or poke your eyes out - spare me that euphemistic drivel.
Because that would be really different abilities instead of the not present from the standard setup. Or to speak with prefixes: We are disabled, not altabled.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:43 AM   #42
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Oh dear! To me this was a good example of seeing what I expect and not what's actually there. It took me quite a while even after the typo was pointed out to see what the problem was. Thanks for the chuckle of the day! (Well the day is still young so there might be more. Keep'em coming folks!)
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote