Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-21-2009, 10:58 PM   #1
Matth3w
Matth3w began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
ePub documents much slower?

Now all the documents in my account can be re-downloaded but only in epub format it seems.

I put one of them on my wife's 505 and it takes 3 friggin seconds to turn the page. That's just stupid.

Is anyone else having this problem?
Matth3w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:11 AM   #2
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
I haven`t noticed a slow down turning pages, but there`s a definite slow down when it comes to a new chapter.
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 12:18 AM   #3
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Turning pages is fast enough for me (comparable to LRF), but moving between chapters (e.g. following a link to a footnote and then back) is abominably slow.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:33 AM   #4
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
It kinda makes sense... ePub is a bit more processor intensive as you have to decompress, load and parse a new HTML file every time you cross that chapter boundary. Seems like the 505 won't load more than one HTML file at a time to avoid running out of memory while reading, and the processor is nothing like what is available now in the 600/900/Kindle2/nook/etc.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:33 AM   #5
Matth3w

When you say chapter boundry, you mean even within the book? As in, I'm just flipping pages but I get to a new chapter?
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 10:49 AM   #6
taildragger-j3
Writer AND Reader
taildragger-j3 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I guess I'm just naturally slow, but I haven't noticed any difference in my 500 since it was updated.
taildragger-j3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:56 AM   #7
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matth3w View Post
When you say chapter boundry, you mean even within the book? As in, I'm just flipping pages but I get to a new chapter?
Yes. Every time you get to a new file inside the EPUB, you get a delay. Calibre defaults to splitting chapters each to its own file.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:13 AM   #8
Matth3w

I'm not talking about those produced in Calibre though, I'm talking about downloaded directly from Sony...
Old 12-22-2009, 11:39 AM   #9
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
Mine's slow direct from Sony, I don't do anything with Calibre and am getting the slow down on chapters.
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:58 PM   #10
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
The officially published ePubs from Sony appear to to be the same way (in the ones I examined).

A couple reasons:
  • Table of Contents prefers to point at a file, rather than a location inside a file (goes faster).
  • Larger files take longer to load, so splitting it up splits up the 'cost' of loading the book a bit.
  • The Adobe SDK has a hard limit of 300KB per HTML file in ePub (uncompressed). Without splitting the book into files, you'd hit this limit with an awful lot of books, since you could hit it with about 160 pages of text.

All this taken into account, it makes sense to split it on chapter boundaries and use that file list to build up the Table of Contents from. If you need to force a page break, it is also a good place to split the text up (up to the judgment of the guy/gal packaging the ePub), since a break between files is treated like a page-break by default.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote