Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 08-03-2018, 09:25 AM   #1
jiembe
Zealot
jiembe began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo; Kobo Libra
Suppressing tags pair

Is there a way after selecting an "opening" tag to delete in a single move that tag and it's corresponding closing tag. In this example, selecting the <span> tags

Ex: <p><span xxx>abcd<i>efgh</i></span>lmno</p>
jiembe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:00 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiembe View Post
Is there a way after selecting an "opening" tag to delete in a single move that tag and it's corresponding closing tag. In this example, selecting the <span> tags

Ex: <p><span xxx>abcd<i>efgh</i></span>lmno</p>
Use the (editor) plugin Diaps editing toolbag. Id has the tools to deal with bulk tag removal or modification
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2018, 12:29 PM   #3
jiembe
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Use the (editor) plugin Diaps editing toolbag. Id has the tools to deal with bulk tag removal or modification
Thank you, but I don't want a bulk editor. I can do that with regex function.

Since already calibre find and highlight the corresponding tags, I'm inquiring if their is a keyboard shortcut or other meaning to delete both tags when one is selected.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:32 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Typically, you delete an opening tag, the Beautify , the closing tag will be cleared.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:52 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There is no builtin function for this, ut as thedcuks noted, you can simply delete the opening tag and leave the closing, which will get automaticallt removed whenever you next run either beautify or fix html tools.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2018, 07:51 AM   #6
jiembe
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
There is no builtin function for this, ut as thedcuks noted, you can simply delete the opening tag and leave the closing, which will get automaticallt removed whenever you next run either beautify or fix html tools.
I didn't know beautify would do this. Thanks both. I was using regex function to delete both tag and that was causing problems when the closing tags selected by the function wasn't the good one. Now I understand I only have to delete all occurrence of the opening tag.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:05 AM   #7
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Typically, you delete an opening tag, the Beautify , the closing tag will be cleared.
That won't work in all cases. Consider the following:

<p>The <span class="bold">beginning <span class="ital">of the</span> end.</span></p>

Deleting the second span yields:

<p>The <span class="bold">beginning of the</span> end.</span></p>

The running beautify results in:

<p>The <span class="bold">beginning of the</span> end.</p>

But, what was desired is:

<p>The <span class="bold">beginning of the end.</span></p>
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:32 AM   #8
jiembe
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
That won't work in all cases. Consider the following:[/INDENT]
So it could create the same problem as using a regex function. I'm surprise since the editor do a very good job to find the closing tag even if that last tag is the wrong one resulting of an error in the coding.

A case by case solution would be nice; i.e. right clicking on the opening tag offering a delete tags option.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:42 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...4f5f0154b4a2c2
Old 08-08-2018, 05:34 PM   #10
jiembe
Zealot

Quote:
Sorry, I need help here. Am I supposed to edit something? Python and me live actually on 2 different world...
Old 08-08-2018, 06:12 PM   #11
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiembe View Post
Sorry, I need help here. Am I supposed to edit something? Python and me live actually on 2 different world...
No, you just need to wait for the next release of calibre (maybe this weekend ???). The link is just there to show you that the necessary work has already been done.

If you wanted to get access to it sooner you could run calibre from source.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:28 AM   #12
jiembe
Zealot

Wow. Thanks
Old 08-21-2018, 11:08 AM   #13
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (Key3, PW2, PW3), Nook (ST, GLP), Kobo Touch, Tolino Vision 2
Quote:
If we use "Remove tag" before the tag is highlighted - this function destroys the code.

Step by step.

Sample code:
Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<title>TEST</title>
</head>
<body>
<p class="sample">sample text</p>
<p>Normal text</p>
</body>
</html>
1. Place cursor inside "p" (for example, before "class" word) and press "Remove tag".
2. Now press the cursor down quickly (before the p tag is highlighted) and press "Remove tag" again.
3. Repeat.

If you do not succeed at once, you will certainly succeed in the third or fourth paragraph.

The most common problems:
1. remove the "body" tag
2. removing part of the paragraph
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:56 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

So dont do that? Or press undo if you do it accidentally. The tooltip for it explicitly states that it removes highlighted tags, if you run it when no tags are highlighted the results are undefined -- though I suppose I can have it detect that and not do anything instead.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:04 PM   #15
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (Key3, PW2, PW3), Nook (ST, GLP), Kobo Touch, Tolino Vision 2
Quote:
… though I suppose I can have it detect that and not do anything instead.
If you can detect this moment without highlight - it will be great.

Of course undo works too
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote