Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 06-24-2018, 10:16 AM   #31
Corinne
Enthusiast
Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: None
Thanks Ruben. I've read that not everyone uses epub but prefers mobi. Then I've read that it's a good idea to provide both. Kind of just going with it all at the moment. I'm still proofing and doing a bit more polishing. I plan on studying the tutorials once I'm done to devote time to a mobi TOC. I appreciate the direction in what to 'click' on. But the options are not quite clear to me yet. It's something I need to read and experiment with on my own till it sinks! You can lead a horse to water but you can't drink for it! I'll drink all the options in once I'm finished polishing. Not to sound cliche.

Corinne

"I can definitely use the link you provided!

Last edited by Corinne; 06-24-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Corinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:39 PM   #32
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
From my experience I would find it difficult to say everyone anyone 'prefers' mobi....from a format capability standpoint ePubs are MUCH more capable/prevalent. However, there are people out there with really old devices, who, for whatever reason, haven't upgraded their devices to ones capable of reading an ePub. THOSE individuals would be stuck with a mobi format simply because they don't have a choice...

...although, when it comes down to it, there are plenty of free apps that can go on your phone or tablet that will read an ePub... so it's only those die-hard eink device types that are holding back the progress of the epublishing world!

Last edited by Turtle91; 06-24-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2018, 01:13 PM   #33
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
Thanks Ruben. I've read that not everyone uses epub but prefers mobi.
Hi Corinne;

Depends on The choice is based mainly due to the e-reader that one has. For example, some people with a Kobo Reader, will prefer an .epub, and some others with a Kindle, will prefer a .mobi.

Quote:
Then I've read that it's a good idea to provide both.
That's true and you should do that (because you don't know what e-reader the reader will have).

Quote:
Kind of just going with it all at the moment.
If you have a good .epub/.mobi, then you'll have a good .mobi/.epub. So, if you learn how to make a good ebook, to convert one in other is a piece of cake.

Quote:
I'm still proofing and doing a bit more polishing. I plan on studying the tutorials once I'm done to devote time to a mobi TOC. I appreciate the direction in what to 'click' on. But the options are not quite clear to me yet.
Please, don't bother for what I'm going to tell you, but you don't need to reinvent the wheel If you have issues in order to create a TOC for a .mobi, then do the following:

1. In the library of this forum, there are hundreds, millars of ebooks. Just download one of them (the title of your choice) and then, open it in Calibre (since you like to work with that program). For this time, download the .epub from this link:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=188092

2. Once the .epub is loaded in Calibre, do right click in it, and select the command "Edit book".

3. In the Edit Window you can see in the pane to left, the different .xhtml files that compone the ebook. At the very end of that pane, you can see a file named toc.ncx. This file is the TOC of the .epub, BUT THAT TOC, DOESN'T WORK in .mobi. So you need to build a TOC for .mobi from that ".toc.ncx". How to do that?

4. In the pane of the left, do click in the file Cover.xhtml.

5. Now, in the menu bar, select the commands Tools/Table of Contents/Insert inline Table of Contents.

6. Once you did that, you'll see above Cover.xhtml a new file named toc.xhtml. Do click and drag that file so it appears below the file "Title.xhtml" (or where you want).

7. Now do click again in the command "Tools" and select the subcomand "Set semantics". In the dialog that appears, in the field "Choose a file" select "toc.xhtml" and in the field "Type of semantics" choose "Table of Contents". You should have something like the following picture:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.png
Views:	270
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	164636

Press "Ok" to close the dialog.

8. Save the changes and close the Edit windows.

9. Now do click in the buttom "Convert books" and as output format choose "mobi".

10. In the same dialog, do click where you read "MOBI Output" and there, where you read "MOBI file type" choose "both".

11. Press "OK". Now you have a mobi file (from an epub file) with a working TOC. If you like, you can open the mobi with Kindle Previewer to see how it looks.

With Calibre you can generate the TOC for mobi in the process of convert the epub to mobi (as I explained in a previous post) or in the way I indicated you now.

What if the epub doesn't have the toc.ncx (since from this file we have built the mobi toc)? Well, you'll have to build one How to do that?

1. Open again the ebook in the Calibre Edit window.

2. In the pane to the left, select the file "toc.xhtml" (the file created in the process I described above), do right click and select "Delete the selected file" (all our work is gone ). Now go to the very end of the left pane, select the file "toc.ncx" and again, do right click and delete the file. The epub now is without a TOC and you are in the worst of all worlds Don't worry that is easy to rebuild it.

3. Select the command Tools/Table of Contents/Edit Table of Contents. In the dialog that appears, select the buttom "Generate ToC from major headings" (also you could play with the others options). Press "Ok" and now, at the end of the left pane, you have again, the toc.ncx file. It was easy, isn't it?

Regards
Rubén
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:43 PM   #34
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
If you really care...

Here is a link that explains the difference between the file formats:
https://www.guidingtech.com/9661/dif...ebook-formats/

Basically....Amazon bought the original 'mobi' format in 2005....the format was discontinued in 2011...but Amazon's 'AZW' format is based on that original mobi structure. That's why you will find some people referring to the Amazon AZW as the 'mobi' format. Even though Amazon has moved on since then and have updated their formats, AZW3 (and AZW4), the AZW format is just used for backwards compatibility for those older devices - which, as mentioned above, are still out there. There is still some speculation that Amazon may actually start to openly embrace the ePub world soon...I'm not holding my breath on that one...and pretty much every other publishing platform out there will natively read the ePub format.

The good news is that it is really easy to convert a well made (and open source) ePub into those proprietary formats. I would even say that most professional ebook makers start with a good, clean, ePub as their master document, then add any tweeks/changes to deal with the requirements of the lesser formats.

Cheers,
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:22 AM   #35
Corinne
Enthusiast
Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Ruben, will I still be able to create a TOC from a manually generated one from epub? I know they won't be the same, but will I be able to follow these same guidelines?

If not, that's okay, thank you kindly for the step by step ...

Last edited by Corinne; 06-25-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Advert
Old 06-25-2018, 11:31 AM   #36
Corinne
Enthusiast

Hi Dion, I agree. I have simple text and drawings, the simpler my format going in the nicer it is upon conversion in both epub and mobi. I have no issues with that. I've arrived at TOC, which is familiar in epub, but I simply need to learn it in mobi - which, I will. Then, I only need to read the instructions on what to do after KFX is downloaded, what the next step is for converting to enhanced typesetting, All else is going well... Thanks for the info!

Last edited by Corinne; 06-25-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:21 PM   #37
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ruben, will I still be able to create a TOC from a manually generated one from epub?
Yes, you will. It doesn't matter how the toc.ncx was generated; if your epub has that file, then you can build a toc.xhtml.
And althought you could build the toc.xhtml by hand, I don't advise you that; instead, use the Calibre commands.

Quote:
I know they won't be the same, but will I be able to follow these same guidelines?
Yes, follow the steps of my previous post to create the TOC for mobi, and don't forget to set the semantics, it's very important. And if you find an error, don't be afraid of asking

Regards
Rubén
Old 06-25-2018, 12:37 PM   #38
Corinne
Enthusiast

I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, only 'understand it.'

I've copied all the information, all set to go once I'm ready to 're-invent' the wheel. Maybe the wheel needs improving!

With light hearted humor...

So far, error free Ruben...! Thanks again...
Old 06-25-2018, 01:24 PM   #39
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
So far, error free Ruben...! Thanks again...
Glad to hear that! Esperemos que todo siga así (let's hope everything stays that way)
Old 06-29-2018, 10:41 AM   #40
Corinne
Enthusiast

Good morning everyone. I'm happy to share that I had success with Ruben's TOC instructions. With a happy and hearty 'thank you' to Ruben. It made my day! "Muchas gracias" Ruben!
Old 06-29-2018, 01:51 PM   #41
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Good morning everyone. I'm happy to share that I had success with Ruben's TOC instructions. With a happy and hearty 'thank you' to Ruben. It made my day! "Muchas gracias" Ruben!
De nada Corinne!! (You are welcome!!). And is good to know that you had success with your TOC
Old 07-01-2018, 02:38 PM   #42
Corinne
Enthusiast

On the other hand! After almost 8 years of use, my HP Pavilion 17" laptop shut down. The monitor won't come in to clear view until the lid is almost shut. I've just come from Best Buy. It would cost a bundle to repair, and currently, I'm unable to afford a new one. Point being, (without a sob story), , I'm at the idea of having someone else do it, as I obviously cannot.

I have 2 books all ready in eBook format. That is, ready for the software. I simply need to proof them both once more. The only thing they lack is a TOC and enhanced typesetting. I had success with the Toc 's with practice, then withdrew the manuscripts for one last proofing. I have them both on flash sticks, or drives, for safe keeping.

My question is, can you refer someone, or a company, that is able to finish them and list them as well, on Amazon? I don't know if you accept this type of request or not Ruben, just simply putting the question out there, come what may!

I appreciate any suggestions. At least it made it to the table of contents part!

The 1st book is a bit over 40k, words. The 2nd, a bit over 30k. Pretty simple, with a drawing and poem that follows each chapter. All have been resized and present well. Each manuscript is formatted for eBook using 8.5x11...

Thanks again, and kind regards!
Corinne...

Last edited by Corinne; 07-01-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:42 PM   #43
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
On the other hand! After almost 8 years of use, my HP Pavilion 17" laptop shut down. The monitor won't come in to clear view until the lid is almost shut. I've just come from Best Buy. It would cost a bundle to repair, and currently, I'm unable to afford a new one. Point being, (without a sob story), , I'm at the idea of having someone else do it, as I obviously cannot.

I have 2 books all ready in eBook format. That is, ready for the software. I simply need to proof them both once more. The only thing they lack is a TOC and enhanced typesetting. I had success with the Toc 's with practice, then withdrew the manuscripts for one last proofing. I have them both on flash sticks, or drives, for safe keeping.

Corinne...
You don't say where you are in the world, but is it possible that your local public library has public use computers?
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:25 AM   #44
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
@Corinne --- Is the failure of the monitor the only problem with the laptop?
Might it be an option to borrow or buy a very cheap external monitor to connect to your laptop? I've been happily using external monitor and usb keyboard with my laptop for years, after damage to the laptop.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:11 AM   #45
Corinne
Enthusiast

Hi. I'm currently in Arizona. I am retired and mobile - born and raised in Southern California. I have written and drawn both books from a van, using a car charger. Not at all complaining. It is what it is and I happily share it. I share some of my work on my public facebook page. @corinne.kramer.988. They are simple memoirs of my personal experiences with God, since childhood. I do not have the desire to change anyone's personal beliefs, only to share my own. Uncomplicated and simple.

Yes, I looked at an external monitor yesterday. I like the smaller 21 and a half inch screen. Still thinking about it. The library does have public computers. However I wouldn't be able to use my paint shop application on them. I do still use them quite frequently. I have no doubt that it will all work out.

I appreciate the help, and I haven't given up. Just refreshing my options.

Thank you kindly!

....also, I'm not able to refresh calibre. I somehow accidentally clicked on an 'x' in edit books and lost half the contents of the edit section! ( Smile!) I've tried to reload calibre, but it says I don't have 'permission.' Lol... I'll try again at the library today.

Last edited by Corinne; 07-02-2018 at 08:44 AM.