Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 12-10-2016, 10:06 AM   #1
Ersatzreifen
Bibliothekar
Ersatzreifen began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab S w/Bookari Premium
calibre-server won't work right

I've been running the server on my openSUSE for over a year. Several days ago I upgraded the OS from 13.2 to openSUSE Leap 42.2 after formatting the root partition. A new calibre installation was downloaded from the web site and installed exactly as before.

The command I use to start the server is: /usr/bin/calibre-server --daemonize --url-prefix /library --port 8787 --with-library "/home/Calibre/MASTER" & which now results in the following error message:
  • sh: /opt/calibre/lib/libreadline.so.6: no version information available (required by sh)

The calibre-server didn't seem to run at first, but ps xaf | grep calibre shows this:
  • 25005 ? Sl 0:01 /opt/calibre/bin/calibre-server --daemonize --url-prefix /library --port 8787 --with-library /home/Calibre/MASTER

The calibre program will start and run without any problem. Port forwarding is right, port 8787 is open in the firewall, and now that I got my dynamic dns functioning again I and others can finally connect to http://behne.ddns.net:8787, but strangely, I cannot connect to http://localhost:8787 - the browser says Unable to connect. You think the opposite would be true between the two URL's!

Concerning the error message, the best I can figure is that there appears to be a library mismatch between the system used to create the executable program and the new system I am running the program on. This suggests three options:
  1. static linking the program
  2. using "local" copies of the libraries / force the application to use those (compatible) versions
  3. defining LD_PRELOAD to force the correct versions to be used
Number 1 is not an option for me AFAIK, I'm not interested in compiling from source or the sundry problems that will introduce. Numbers 2 and 3 are a bit beyond my personal knowledge base, and I don't like experimenting with things I don't understand. So.....

Does anyone know exactly how to accomplish numbers 2 and 3 to get rid of the annoying error message, and also how to get it working on the localhost address again?
Ersatzreifen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:52 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
First of all the error from sh does not have anything to do with your inability to connect to localhost, which is likely because you changed the interface calibre listens on in Preferences->Tweaks. And calibre already uses LD_PRELOAD and comes with its own copy of libreadline.so and does not use the sh program at all (it has its own native code launchers). The mismatch is because the version of libreadline used by calibre is not the version used by the system, and it does not affect calibre functioning (libreadline is only needed for interactive prompts, which are only used by calibre-debug, not in normal calibre operation).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2016, 03:36 AM   #3
Ersatzreifen
Bibliothekar
Ersatzreifen began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab S w/Bookari Premium
I did not change anything in Preferences->Tweaks. Had I done so I would have mentioned it. The only changes here are:
1. installed a new OS version.
2. Installed a new calibre from your web page the recommended way.

No settings were changed at all. I did just now check in Preferences->Tweaks after reading your reply to see what it is set to, and found it still set to the default:
server_listen_on = '0.0.0.0'
so my inability to connect to localhost is not due to that setting, it has to be something else pecular to the OS upgrade.
Ersatzreifen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:36 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Does running /use/bin/calibre-server set items like LD_PRELOAD?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 02:43 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
/usr/bin/calibre-server is just a symlink to /opt/calibre/calibre-server on a binary install.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
calibre-server, libreadline.so.6