Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

View Poll Results: What improvments would you like to see for the Glowlight 3?
Increase visual readability of Links/Dictionary 7 87.50%
Display Chapter page information while reading 3 37.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2018, 04:41 PM   #76
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Maybe Kobo will buy the Nook division from B&N and we'll have a Nobo. Or a Kook.
Looking forward to my Kook ComfortGlow
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:43 PM   #77
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I'm worried about B&N going under and leaving the Nook useless.
Even if B&N went under or stopped the nook, the nook you have would not be useless. It works with ePub. You can get ePub from Overdrive, Kobo, Google Play, and other places. so your nook would not be useless.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:07 PM   #78
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Even if B&N went under or stopped the nook, the nook you have would not be useless. It works with ePub. You can get ePub from Overdrive, Kobo, Google Play, and other places. so your nook would not be useless.
I believe it was mentioned in another thread if BN shutdown their servers, and you needed to do a factory reset on a Nook, you would be out of luck since registration is (currently) required.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:52 PM   #79
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Kobo does tell me that I am 25% through the book at the top of the screen. It doesn't tell me what chapter I'm on unless I pop-up the table of contents.
I don't want to drag this thread any more off-topic, but in case you're interested one of the Kobo patches (patch_name = `Always display chapter name on navigation menu`) gives you quick access to current chapter name for both epub and kepub.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:54 PM   #80
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I don't want to drag this thread any more off-topic, but in case you're interested one of the Kobo patches (patch_name = `Always display chapter name on navigation menu`) gives you quick access to current chapter name for both epub and kepub.
Thank you for that.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:38 PM   #81
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Looking forward to my Kook ComfortGlow
Did you finally break down and get one, or are you just trying to "steal" your wife's?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:02 AM   #82
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Did you finally break down and get one, or are you just trying to "steal" your wife's?
No, I'm sticking with the Aura until it breaks or B&N has a fire sale that is too tempting to pass up.

I'm responsible for maintaining it though, so in a way I'm more familiar with the Glowlight 3 than she is.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:27 PM   #83
nellie27
Enthusiast
nellie27 doesn't litternellie27 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Tab A, Boox Nova Air C
Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie27 View Post
To continue with discussion of the dictionary...

When a word is pressed and held, an abbreviated definition appears (above or below the word), as well as a little banner that pops up with icons for further actions. If a definition is longer than the abbreviated meaning, there is a "read more" button to press for the complete dictionary entry.

Unfortunately, the little popup banner often covers the "read more" button, partially or entirely.
This is now solved: tap in the definition panel and the little popup banner disappears, allowing access to the "read more" button..
nellie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:41 PM   #84
nellie27
Enthusiast

The reader software doesn't seem to be optimized for eink.

Turn the light on or off- screen briefly reverses then back to normal.

Press the home key- the home screen flickers the "new and recent" books, the "recommended for you" blinks a couple of times, then the screen calms down.

Press the "current read" icon on the home page- the entire home page reverses a couple of times, the screen turns white, the current page appears, the home screen draws over the page, then the current page finally emerges.

Tap in the middle of the page to bring up the reading tools menu- these elements appear quickly and without fuss. Tap again to dismiss the menu, and the screen blinks reversed, then displays the page.

Highlight a word to bring up a definition, it displays and a second tap dismisses the definition quickly. Okay, good. But tap the "read more" area- the top bar(s) flicker black/white a couple of times, then the dictionary text draws on the screen. Tap the back arrow at the top to return to page- the definition flickers black/white, white, and then the page is displayed.

There are probably more instances in other situations, but you have the idea.

All of the flickering, reversing, whiting, and blinking is time consuming, annoying, irksome, and aggravating. It disrupts the mental and emotional flow of reading and lessens one's enjoyment. This is the single most negative issue about the NG3, in my opinion.

The pale dictionary font comes in second. The inability to swipe pages in the dictionary deserves mention as well.

OTOH, the hardware is wonderful.

Last edited by nellie27; 03-02-2018 at 07:51 PM. Reason: add additional commentary
Old 03-03-2018, 05:09 PM   #85
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Add night-mode. By that I mean white text on black background. Night-mode with an orange comfort-light setting is a sight to behold. If Kobo brought out a 6" comfort-light e-reader, I would be tempted. It's just so nice.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 02:58 PM   #86
nellie27
Enthusiast

Quote:
The inability to swipe pages in the dictionary deserves mention as well.
The hard lower "back" buttons page forward in the definition; the hard upper "forward" buttons page backward in the definition. (This is using the default setting for the paging buttons, top=forward, bottom=back.)

I changed the settings so upper buttons=backward and lower button=forward- the dictionary behavior remains the same; it is not changed.

Kind of weird, but acceptable I can cross this, too, from the list of dictionary criticisms...

Now the main major dictionary complaint is the pale, anemic font coloring.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:14 PM   #87
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
The reader software doesn't seem to be optimized for eink.

Turn the light on or off- screen briefly reverses then back to normal.

Press the home key- the home screen flickers the "new and recent" books, the "recommended for you" blinks a couple of times, then the screen calms down.

Press the "current read" icon on the home page- the entire home page reverses a couple of times, the screen turns white, the current page appears, the home screen draws over the page, then the current page finally emerges.

Tap in the middle of the page to bring up the reading tools menu- these elements appear quickly and without fuss. Tap again to dismiss the menu, and the screen blinks reversed, then displays the page.

Highlight a word to bring up a definition, it displays and a second tap dismisses the definition quickly. Okay, good. But tap the "read more" area- the top bar(s) flicker black/white a couple of times, then the dictionary text draws on the screen. Tap the back arrow at the top to return to page- the definition flickers black/white, white, and then the page is displayed.

There are probably more instances in other situations, but you have the idea.

All of the flickering, reversing, whiting, and blinking is time consuming, annoying, irksome, and aggravating. It disrupts the mental and emotional flow of reading and lessens one's enjoyment. This is the single most negative issue about the NG3, in my opinion.
Isn't this pretty common across all eReaders? I find that the nG3 refreshes less often than my Kobo, since it doesn't refresh between chapters. I don't mess around with menus or dictionaries much when reading, though.
tiltowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:17 PM   #88
hank
Dinosaur
hank began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, SJ30, VisorEdge, Palm3xe
Is it possible to get use of a better dictionary, say the OED? Yeah, that would require enabling connecting with the online browser and having a subscription. It'd be well worth it to me. Or are there any dictionary alternatives that could be sideloaded?
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:39 PM   #89
nellie27
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltowait View Post
Isn't this pretty common across all eReaders? I find that the nG3 refreshes less often than my Kobo, since it doesn't refresh between chapters. I don't mess around with menus or dictionaries much when reading, though.
I hardly notice the actual book pages refreshing on the NG3.

It's not so much the book page refreshing that's bothersome, than it is the complete blanking and flashing that happens when I go to home page, full-page dictionary, that sort of thing. The NSTwG seems to handle the transitions with less obvious "work" somehow. Perhaps it's the Simple Touch screen resolution being less (800x600 vs the NG3's 1430x1080), and so there's less actual "work" to do.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:26 PM   #90
mberger
Mike
mberger began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
My requested features:
1. Current read icon
2. Allow adding more dictionaries
I now have Glowlight 3. I miss some features from the old Sony 505!

Last edited by mberger; 07-15-2018 at 06:28 PM.
mberger is offline   Reply With Quote