Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-13-2009, 09:54 AM   #16
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Zondervan ePub NIV Bible

I downloaded a sample of the ePub version of the Zondervan NIV Bible from the BN Store to see what it looks like.

Finding verses seems pretty good now versus the NIV I bought from Sony 2 years ago. Sony has the new Zondervan now as well.

I may just buy that after my PRS 900 arrives.

Zondervan has it for $ 2.00 less than Sony in ePub version. I wonder if that download would work with my Sony PC software and the PRS 900?

The Franklin BIB 475 is best for this purpose but its battery runs out in 2 hours. The Sony PRS 900 battery is supposed to last for 2 weeks.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:46 AM   #17
All4Fun
Zealot
All4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Blackberry Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I downloaded a sample of the ePub version of the Zondervan NIV Bible from the BN Store to see what it looks like.

Finding verses seems pretty good now versus the NIV I bought from Sony 2 years ago. Sony has the new Zondervan now as well.

I may just buy that after my PRS 900 arrives.

Zondervan has it for $ 2.00 less than Sony in ePub version. I wonder if that download would work with my Sony PC software and the PRS 900?

The Franklin BIB 475 is best for this purpose but its battery runs out in 2 hours. The Sony PRS 900 battery is supposed to last for 2 weeks.
Unless we are looking at different NIV bibles, the sample I downloaded from BN was NOT in epub format but in .pdb format.

This is the link I was looking at and downloaded the sample for to see if you are experiencing something different from me: Link

I want to re-iterate that Zondervan's NIV bible will be highly functional on any touchscreen ebook reader device because you will just be able to touch the hyperlinks and go directly to your verse.

On a PRS-300 and PRS-505 and likely any non-touchscreen device, it will be, for all practical purposes, unusable. On a PRS-600/900, you will be fine.
All4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2009, 04:10 AM   #18
mmmkay
mmmkay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mmmkay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mmmkay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mmmkay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader Touch Edition PRS-600
I noticed the Canadian Sony ereader store has a different cover image, and different ISBN.

I hope it navigates just like the sampler that I got from B&N

I was gonna buy it from the Sony store since I thought it would be in Canadian dollars.. but when I went to check out.. "All prices in USD"

Booo..

Last edited by mmmkay; 12-18-2009 at 05:02 AM.
mmmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:44 AM   #19
PSL
PSL began at the beginning.

Device: Sony900
Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
Although I will be talking about Kindle, bear with me.

I have made a number of Bibles (KJV, WEB, NET) in the mobi format for the Kindle. See discussion for KJV here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59871

In all of them, I am using three separate navigation methods: hyperlinked TOC, joystick jump between books, and what I call Direct Verse Jump (DVJ). DVJ is actually pretty nice on the Kindle. For me it is faster to open any verse in the Kindle than in the paper Bible.

DVJ requires text input so I do not know how it would work on Sony readers. Will touchscreen model work? To try you can take the sample from the link above and convert it to epub with Calibre.

I have sent a request to Zondervan for permission to issue an NIV edition with DVJ. I need to see how big royalties they would require.

Let me know if something like this would be useful for PRS.

You can also experiment with a full Bible in Chinese, which I released here for free.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=679688
I took ChineseUnionGig5.prc and used Calibre to generate both epub and pdf files. The pdf file kept the Chinese characters well but lost the index hyperlink (although it kept the blue hyperlink color) the epub file seemed keeping the hyperlink ( although it might point to different locations) but lost the Chinese Characters to ???
I don't know if anyone especially Calibre can help.

Sony 900 ereader
PSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:23 AM   #20
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
You might do better on the Calibre sub-forum available from the top level here... the author of calibre (the great and wonderful Kovidgoyal) is often available and tries to help nearly everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSL View Post
I took ChineseUnionGig5.prc and used Calibre to generate both epub and pdf files. The pdf file kept the Chinese characters well but lost the index hyperlink (although it kept the blue hyperlink color) the epub file seemed keeping the hyperlink ( although it might point to different locations) but lost the Chinese Characters to ???
I don't know if anyone especially Calibre can help.

Sony 900 ereader
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 08:01 AM   #21
PSL
PSL began at the beginning.

Device: Sony900
Chinese Union Bible PDF with Index Jump table free download:
http://www.occcf.org/Documents/UnionIndexed.pdf
PSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:43 AM   #22
rblover69
rblover69 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS900BC
is this the latest one with the easier navigation mentioned ? http://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/zon...00000000237670
rblover69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #23
aslterp
aslterp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Although I will be talking about Kindle, bear with me.

I

I have sent a request to Zondervan for permission to issue an NIV edition with DVJ. I need to see how big royalties they would require.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=679688
I would be very interested in a NIV with DVJ. I have the NET with DVJ but often in church and Bible class when others have a NIV I prefer to follow along with the same translation but it is too cumbersome to navigate!
Keep us posted!
Sharon
aslterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:27 PM   #24
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Fun View Post
I thought I would give some feedback on the NIV Holy Bible that I first purchased in EPUB format directly from zondervan.com and then the LRX version from the Sony eBook store.

The navigation is very very poor requiring you to use the navigation buttons at the bottom of the PRS-505 to move from book to book and then use the same navigation buttons to go from chapter to chapter.

As an example, to go to Psalms 100, you literally have to click over 100 times to get there!

Thinking that the EPUB from zondervan.com may have been an anomaly, I go ahead and purchase it AGAIN in LRX format from the Sony eBook store thinking that the experience would be different in large part from the feedback from one of their customers that said that navigation was much improved (Link Here). I couldn't imagine how much worse navigation could have been previously.

I was really hoping that the navigation would be equivalent to the great work that Sherman did with the KJV version found here.

I could only pray that an NIV version with easier navigation can become available or eventually upgrade to a touchscreen model of the Sony ebook reader.

Wish I could have had this feedback before purchasing my 2 unusable versions. I can't imagine trying to use this in church to find a verse quickly.
It didn't have a Table of Contents and then chapter links at the beginning of each chapter? The NIV Study Bible I bought in ePub has both. It is still clumsy to navigate though as it is a reference book in which people often want to turn to a specific Book, Chapter, Verse. search this forum there is a guy who has created a better navigation system for Bibles. I'm not sure which versions he has done.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:43 PM   #25
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
So whats the verdict? can I buy a epub NIV Bible and be able to havigate it?

I am thinking of buying a Sony PRS 650 soon
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:21 AM   #26
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
I think I understand. I used to have PRS-500 but it was lost/stolen. Maybe I should get another Sony reader and work on epub books.
Yes please! I have the NET Bible on my Sony 650, and navigation is just awful.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:01 PM   #27
fleapower
fleapower began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Hello, all. I just purchased a PRS-650 and am looking for a Bible.

I know this thread is a bit dated, but has anyone tried the NIV which was published on 12/21/2010? The description claims to have improved navigation.

Also, has anyone found an ESV version? I noticed there used to be one available from Crossway, but it is now available only for the Kindle.
fleapower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:49 AM   #28
KrowNB
Enthusiast
KrowNB began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Sony PRS-650
Bump.... I'm wondering the same thing about the NIV Bible sold either directly from Zondervan or on the Kobobooks site
KrowNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:01 PM   #29
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Zondervan just released in Dec a new NIV version specifically formatted for ereaders. It has built-in table of contents navigation and hyperlinks that make it really easy to jump to specific chapters. I would recommend it. Much better than other editions that I've used. I bought it from Borders which is powered by Kobo.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:31 PM   #30
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Yes please! I have the NET Bible on my Sony 650, and navigation is just awful.

Regards, Alex
Have you tried the recent version with the 4 level table of contents on their ftp server? I thought it was pretty nice.

The versions I found most useful were the fully annotated version and the standard version with the four level table of contents.

File:NETBibleNoteless_4.epub
1686 KB
09/23/2010
03:49:00 PM

File:NETBibleNotes.epub
7192 KB
01/28/2010
12:00:00 AM

I really like the way that the notes are hyper-linked so that, after you jump to an annotation, you can just tap the annotations header number in the note itself, and jump right back to the verse that you were reading when you jumped to the footnote.

Also for the non-annotated version, the newer NETBibleNoteless_4.epub version linked above has a MUCH nicer Table Of Contents.

Last edited by delphin; 02-08-2011 at 04:48 PM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote