Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-27-2022, 09:39 AM   #1
Moody12b
Moody12b has a spectacular aura aboutMoody12b has a spectacular aura aboutMoody12b has a spectacular aura aboutMoody12b has a spectacular aura aboutMoody12b has a spectacular aura aboutMoody12b has a spectacular aura aboutMoody12b has a spectacular aura aboutMoody12b has a spectacular aura aboutMoody12b has a spectacular aura aboutMoody12b has a spectacular aura aboutMoody12b has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
Migrating to a new kobo

I'm buying a Kobo Clara HD and want to move all the books from my aging Kobo Aura Edition 2.

Can I simply copy the .kobo directory from the old machine to the new. All the books have been sideloaded.
Moody12b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 09:19 PM   #2
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Start using Calibre. Put all your books into there. If you want to, add some tabs, or maybe even add some blurb, to your books.

I always think - and I'm in a minority - that it's best to add a few books at a time, maybe ten or so. Create some Collections on your new Clara and add books to them as you go. (For me, this is half the fun of putting 'new' books on my reader.)
Transfer the ones you want to read soonest first. Then when the battery needs topping plug your ereader into your computer and add a few more while it charges.

This is more or less how I do it.

Last edited by BookCat; 06-30-2022 at 09:24 PM. Reason: My brain can't figure out the syntax/grammar/wording of the "Transfer . . . first." sentence!
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2022, 01:58 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I agree with @BookCat. I use the new device as an opportunity to start new. I usually just put unread books on the new device. The "read" books are usually test books that go on all my devices, and earlier books in a series if I am reading about to read a new book.

If you want to put everything from your old device onto the new device, then it can be done. It has been discussed before. It basically means copying the sideloaded books from one device to the other. That is to make sure the books are in the same location. Then you can copy the database from the ".kobo" directory. Doing this has the advantage of keeping the full reading status including the reading time and the annotations in sideloaded books. Some people have had success with this. It has been discussed in the forum many times.

If you just want the reading status, you can do that via calibre and my Kobo Utilities plugin. With that, you fetch the status from the old device, send the books to the new device and then update the status on the new device for the books that are not unread.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 04:03 AM   #4
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
+1 to starting again
I am longing to be in need of a new reader so I can start again with no books on it, though no doubt it will quickly build up to the hundreds like my current reader.
No need to keep them all on the reader anyway as they're safely stored in Calibre, where it's much easier to see what you have too.
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 09:36 AM   #5
kyôdai
Zealot
kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you do want to move everything from your old device to a new one, you can find a tutorial here:

-> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=336182
kyôdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2022, 10:55 AM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
I am longing to be in need of a new reader so I can start again with no books on it...
It's probably a loaded question. But why not just start fresh on your current device?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 11:02 AM   #7
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
It's probably a loaded question. But why not just start fresh on your current device?
Indeed, that's the question I would ask someone else who said that

Makes no sense at all, does it?
But clearing hundreds of books off seems sacrilegious whereas starting with a new reader is different again.

I do wish I were rational
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 06:23 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
delete post
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote