Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Tolino

Notices

Old 06-15-2019, 03:11 PM   #1
Mr.Moe
Mr.Moe began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STG
Just Un-Rooted my Tolino 4 HD

I wanted to share my opinion of the current state of affairs for the Tolino 4 HD.

IMHO, the Tolino firmware 12.2.0 is now officially "good enough" for me, so last week I unrooted my device, and have been quite pleased.

My original reasons for rooting were:
- Needed reading app that didn't crash on big 30MB ePubs
- Wanted better layout (used Coolreader)
- Wanted file sync (used Dropbox)
- Needed file mgmt. (because I was using Dropbox)
- Wanted Websters 1913 dictionary (used Colordict)

As of firmware v12.2.0
- Reading app (apparently Readium based) handles big ePubs
- Layout is good enough
- Tolino Cloud is good enough
- New dictionary is based on Wiktionary (which includes Websters 1913)

So I did a factory reset, copied over the lovely Charter fonts from one of my other devices, and uploaded my ePubs to the Tolino cloud. I'm now loving being able to read free from the distraction of managing an old Android 4 installation (and all the hackiness that goes along with it).

As a side benefit, my reading is synced on my phone (I also started using the Tolino app) and my battery life increased a ton!

Anyway, hope some of this info might be of use to someone else.

Thanks to everyone who helped me and others root their Tolinos!

-Mr.Moe
Mr.Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 02:11 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Moe View Post
As of firmware v12.2.0
- Reading app (apparently Readium based) handles big ePubs
- Layout is good enough
- Tolino Cloud is good enough
- New dictionary is based on Wiktionary (which includes Websters 1913)

So I did a factory reset, copied over the lovely Charter fonts from one of my other devices, and uploaded my ePubs to the Tolino cloud. I'm now loving being able to read free from the distraction of managing an old Android 4 installation (and all the hackiness that goes along with it).

As a side benefit, my reading is synced on my phone (I also started using the Tolino app) and my battery life increased a ton!
Thanks for the report. I'm also happy with firmware 12.2.0. I'm pretty sure my battery life is now better (even though I never rooted my Tolino Vision 2). I don't like Wiktionary (not nearly enough 1913 Websters) so I've downloaded the ePub version Websters from here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=31511. At 12,000+ pages, it's not the fastest thing in the world, but if you go to the index and find a word near the one you're looking for, it's pretty easy to turn pages forward or back. Whoever produced the ePub version of the 1913 Webster's did an amazingly good job.

Do you live in Germany? I tried logging into Thalia.de and it rejected my U.S. address. Or am I not supposed to go Thalia? It would be nice to be able to use the cloud and and app.

Again, thanks for the tip on fonttools at the other thread. DejaVu Serif E-Ink looks really good on the Tolino.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:52 PM   #3
Mr.Moe
Mr.Moe began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STG
I agree with the desire for a more complete Websters 1913, someone with time on their hands could probably convert one of the Colordict (or other) versions to the QuickDic version used by Tolino.

I bought it in Austria from Thalia and just used the address of the friends I was staying with. Which allows me to use the cloud. However it seems they use GeoIP to block purchases made outside the country. So my thalia login is just for the cloud (which is fine, ebooks are cheaper in the US). You should be able to create an account though outside of the country.

Deja-Vu is great. I've recently been loving the Tiempos and Exchange typefaces on it too.
Mr.Moe is offline   Reply With Quote