Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-24-2018, 05:28 AM   #16
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Regarding the comparison of the Likebook and my Paperwhite ... after a first look it seems it will be a rather short comparison, with the Likebook going back to Amazon soon, as the screen seems to have the same issues that my first (original) Paperwhite had - lack of contrast. That is even visible on the first picture I posted, although that was just taken with my phone.

I remember that I sent back that first Paperwhite with a heavy heart, after having waited for it to be brought to Europe by a US colleague for some weeks after its release, only to find out that the screen contrast on it was not as good as the one on the Kindle Keyboard I was using at the time.

All is fine when not using the front light, but as soon as the front light is turned on (which is something I have come to consider essential by now), the black on the Likebook seems "washed out" and the contrast is not as good as the one on my Paperwhite II.

Different fonts might help here, but so far, it seems to be pretty clear comparison. And the larger screen does not really compensate for the worse reading experience.

Last edited by Andy_T; 08-24-2018 at 05:33 AM.
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:17 PM   #17
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
At first glance, the Paperwhite is more “snappy” than the Kindle app on the Likebook, but we’ll see how all that extra screen real estate will be for reading...
Yes, once you get used to the larger display/more text on the screen, it's hard to go back. My InkPad 3 also has a 7.8" display and at first I thought I didn't really need so much space, but after a few months I got so used to the larger screen that I now can't comfortably read on a 6" display.

I have no contrast issues with the InkPad, though, so yes, I agree that contrast matters also. Shame that the Likebook didn't work out for you.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2018, 07:56 PM   #18
wherahiko
Enthusiast
wherahiko has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wherahiko has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wherahiko has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kindle PW 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
If you buy a boox, I recommend liberating your books and reading them with native ereading app, rather than using the kindle app.
One thing to bear in mind with this is that the Kindle app running on the Boox is far better at displaying text than the native Neoreader2. The native app is great for pdfs, but it's not so good for epubs—there are no options for left-aligned text (and the hyphenation leaves much to be desired). While there are 270(!) font options, most of these are variants of Noto Sans; there are very few standard serif fonts. I find the Kindle app is much better than Neoreader2 for ebooks, and an actual Kindle is better than the Kindle Android app. I love my Onyx Boox Note, but I use it mostly for reading and annotating pdfs; for ebook formats, I find a Kobo or Kindle far preferable.

If you want a large screen for reading ebooks (and not pdfs), the Kobo Aura One might be a better option.
wherahiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 05:22 AM   #19
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
I have no contrast issues with the InkPad, though, so yes, I agree that contrast matters also. Shame that the Likebook didn't work out for you.
It was similar to my first Paperwhite. Screen was great as long as the light was off, but once the light was turned on, the contrast was reduced. However, after the Paperwhite (2), I can't appreciate non-lighted e-readers any more....
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote