Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-11-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
leoniedelt
Doctor Who geek
leoniedelt began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
Question basically, which one should i buy?

I dont like the Kindle, end of.

I need .doc format capability. As many formats as poss, really, but especially .doc.

I need wifi.

I would like sd card ability (not mandatory but helpful).

I prefer e-ink, i think. A long batt life would help.

I am skint, so as cheap as possible. Am in the UK.

Someone tell me which one to buy?

Last edited by leoniedelt; 06-11-2011 at 04:39 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
leoniedelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
Ransom
Banned
Ransom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle-3
None of them are designed with ergonomics in mind. The Nook feels more like a book to me. The Kindle is way too skinny and a bit like holding a piece of flimsy shale tile. However, if you purchase a good solid cover for it, it feels much better. I own the Kindle-3 but often wish I would have splurged on the color Nook since it has a back-light.

Here's a good rundown of the Kindle-3 that has a photo showing several e-readers side by side.

And here's a review of the Kindle's lighted cover which I wish I'd never bought. It'll work in a pinch, butit really doesn't put out enough light to suit me.

I love the feel of the Nook, but I sure hate touch screens. All e-readers leave something to be desired though.
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2011, 03:14 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hi lionedelt - welcome to MobileRead.

I know that you said in your original post that you've ruled out the Kindle, but I'd honestly suggest that you reconsider: it is (IMHO) the best choice for an eBook reader in the UK in terms of price (£111 for the WiFi version), capabilities, superb support from Amazon, and the best bookstore around by far in terms of both selection and price. Although the Kindle doesn't support "doc" files natively, you can e-mail your docs to Amazon and have them converted free of charge.

If you have a large branch of Waterstones close to you, they have a number of different makes of eBook reader on display but, as I say, the Kindle would be my recommendation.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:06 AM   #4
leoniedelt
Doctor Who geek

i went into the waterstones beside the Pallasades yesterday in town and looked at a sony prs350? and an iriver cover story and some elonex thing.

I wasnt impressed with any of them :/

As for the Kindle....... can i load my own stories onto it? I have word docs that are very important - i can use calibre to change them into some other format, but can i put them on the Kindle or can it only read what you buy off the amazon website?

thats what puts me off the Kindle is the lack of sd slot :/
Old 06-12-2011, 06:09 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, you can load your own content on the Kindle - just copy it via the USB cable. It has 4GB of internal memory (about 3.25 GB free for user content); I currently have 350 books on my Kindle and still have 2.5GB free. Books are generally not large, and you can fit at least 1000+ onto the Kindle.
Advert
Old 06-12-2011, 08:18 AM   #6
leoniedelt
Doctor Who geek

Harry - that's good to know. As long as i'm not forced to buy everything i want to read through the amazon shop... i've got good stuff already as i have been using my n8 as an ereader but its just too darn small...

I've got a friend offering me her brand new unopened kindle for £80 + shipping, i feel obliged to get it even though that's WAY more than i wanted to spend.

Plus, unlike iriver, if it breaks, amazon are huge, kwim? hopefully a repair wont be out of the question.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:23 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoniedelt View Post
Harry - that's good to know. As long as i'm not forced to buy everything i want to read through the amazon shop... i've got good stuff already as i have been using my n8 as an ereader but its just too darn small...

I've got a friend offering me her brand new unopened kindle for £80 + shipping, i feel obliged to get it even though that's WAY more than i wanted to spend.

Plus, unlike iriver, if it breaks, amazon are huge, kwim? hopefully a repair wont be out of the question.
£80 sounds like an excellent deal - go for it! I'd strongly suggest that you get some kind of case for it; eInk devices are relatively fragile. If you look in the "Kindle Store" at Amazon there's lots to choose from.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:40 AM   #8
leoniedelt
Doctor Who geek

Will have a look in a bit. Thanks for your help, mate. x
Old 06-12-2011, 08:41 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

My pleasure. Do come back and let us know what you think of the Kindle if you decide to get it .
Old 06-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #10
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Well if you want as many formats as possible the jet Book lite can read just about anything you come across including DOC format. I do not own a Jet Book Lite, mine is a Libra Pro and the other a blackberry storm so I am not promoting my own choice.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:02 AM   #11
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
@leoniedelt: HarryT has done a great job laying out pros for K3. It is not a perfect device, but IMO, at least for me, a terrific option.

Do keep in mind that Kindle owners are NOT locked into the Amazon ecosystem - there is no walled garden. You have the option to procure books and install books from any number of sources.

They also offer a completely free email conversion service for many document file types the device does not natively support.

And there are tons of awesome [free] tools out there to help with format conversions, library management, etc, though IMO, "calibre" is pretty much all you need.

cheers, good luck and do post what you decide to go with,
-les
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:10 AM   #12
leoniedelt
Doctor Who geek

@les thanks mate. I've got all my ebooks in Calibre already, because i know its pretty much the best. Lots of Doctor Who stuff actually

Thanks folks. I have made an offer on that kindle from my friend, we'll see if i get it.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:43 PM   #13
Ransom
Banned
Ransom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle-3
It's a shame you didn't hunt for one right after Christmas. Craigslist is loaded with them after the hollidays by people who got them as gifts and didn't want them.
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:59 PM   #14
leoniedelt
Doctor Who geek

Okay, have decided on a kindle, am buying my friend's.

Now, i have used / am using Calibre to convert all my pdfs and docs to Kindle format (epub?)

What do i need to get for it / firmware? jailbreak? To what end?

I do know a thing or two about linux despite being a female [wink] so i imagine if i can root the thing or get to a shell i'll be in business... any suggestions?
Old 06-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #15
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoniedelt View Post
Okay, have decided on a kindle, am buying my friend's.

Now, i have used / am using Calibre to convert all my pdfs and docs to Kindle format (epub?)

What do i need to get for it / firmware? jailbreak? To what end?

I do know a thing or two about linux despite being a female [wink] so i imagine if i can root the thing or get to a shell i'll be in business... any suggestions?
There is alternative firmware called Duokan, which can read a few different formats. I don't know all of the details, but there are threads about it here at MR.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote