Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-10-2011, 02:22 AM   #1
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Genre Vs. length?

Is there a general set of guidelines as to how long a novel of a particular genre is? I mean I imagine that what is average length for one genre (say Science Fiction) might be either too short or longer than the average for a Romance or Mystery novel.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:28 AM   #2
peterjmerrigan
peterjmerrigan can self-interpret dreams as they happen.peterjmerrigan can self-interpret dreams as they happen.peterjmerrigan can self-interpret dreams as they happen.peterjmerrigan can self-interpret dreams as they happen.peterjmerrigan can self-interpret dreams as they happen.peterjmerrigan can self-interpret dreams as they happen.peterjmerrigan can self-interpret dreams as they happen.peterjmerrigan can self-interpret dreams as they happen.peterjmerrigan can self-interpret dreams as they happen.peterjmerrigan can self-interpret dreams as they happen.peterjmerrigan can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle
I don't believe there's any pre-set guidelines (unlike the film industry, where scripts for thriller movies are generally considered to be 120 minutes, and comedy only 90 minutes - as a guide, not a rule).

However, I do think there's an unwritten rule about genre length in books. Sci-Fi and fantasy novels are generally a lot longer. Same as horror, etc. Comedy and 'chick lit' are generally shorter (again, as guidelines, not rules).
peterjmerrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2011, 12:11 PM   #3
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Is there a general set of guidelines as to how long a novel of a particular genre is? I mean I imagine that what is average length for one genre (say Science Fiction) might be either too short or longer than the average for a Romance or Mystery novel.
Interesting question.

Long time ago I read "Memorias de mis Putas Tristes", by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. It was a novel but barely have 100 pages or so. I actually was surprised of the very short length but still being sold as a novel.

So I don't know what the threshold is or if there is certainly a way to distinguish both or not.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:43 PM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
All great information and what has been said before is correct, however most books that I have seen tend to be arround 310 pages long unless you are writting a fantasy novel in which the books tend to be 1,200 in length.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:36 PM   #5
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Orson Scott Card says that a Sci-fi / Fantasy novel to get published (with traditional publisher) needs to be in the 75k-150k range, and that if you drift to either side of that it gets hard to be taken seriously. So that is what I assume to be true for lack of any other evidence.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
Mikael Aizen
Mikael Aizen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Fiction in general is anything between 50-80k. Genre fiction ends up being more around 80-100. Fantasy in particular is more in the 100-120k range due to the massive worldbuilding that has to occur
Mikael Aizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:29 PM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Interesting answers. While writing isn't a exact thing as far as # of pages, scenes, etc. I do think that having an idea of how much space you have (pages & words) does help in the planning. That is if you are working with key scenes you know that by a given place you should have key scene X it might help keep you on track. So having an idea of how many 1000's of words is average according to genre could help to a degree, though I'm sure that such isn't fixed in stone either. Meaning that there is a bit of leeway either way since writing is more organic than technological in nature.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote