Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-24-2011, 06:27 AM   #1
AxAx
AxAx began at the beginning.

Device: kindle last gen
What is the best way to reflow the PDF

for kindle, what is the best way to reflow the PDF files?

I tried calibre to transfer pdf to mobi,
[IMG=http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/4364/thankscalible.jpg][/IMG]

683minutes = ~10 hours. Yet still not complete and cpu was always busy

Thank I tried pdftohtml, It did a full convert in less two minutes. But some characters was transformed into sysbols.

Last edited by AxAx; 01-24-2011 at 06:30 AM.
AxAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:44 AM   #2
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
Email the PDF to your Amazon @free.kindle.com address and it will automatically convert to .azw and reflow text. I find its better than Calibre's effort. But for best results you need to edit it after.
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
spacemonkey
Enthusiast
spacemonkey doesn't litterspacemonkey doesn't litter

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Agree Amazon's tends to get the best results. Of course you are assuming Amazon is managing privacy of your pdf appropriately.

Calibre is OK, but I found it needed some tweaking of the reflow settings to get a good enough view.

To be honest, reflow from PDFs is never 100% right, but for novels it's easy enough to read past any reflow mistakes.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
AxAx

I still looking for something other than amazon an calibre
Old 01-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
If you find it let me know.
When I'm truly desperate I use Nitro PDF editor and use the page crop function to take out headers and footers (page numbers etc). I then export it to a DOC file then open it up in Word and save it as a html file. Then I put that in Calibre and convert it to mobi.

And even with ALL those steps I often get a crappy Mobi file and I suspect that your file has a bunch of tables and graphs and images given the problems you are having.

I'm sorry to say that my short answer is that the Kindle still doesn't handle PDF files well and I usually have to read those on the iPAD.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
Starko
Zealot
Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
When i really want to have the best end result i
1) use Nitro Pro for cropping all the headers (chapter names) and footers (page numbers). I just discovered a free utility called Briss, that seems to be even better.
2) then i use ABBY FineReader software to perform conversion to Word/RTF.
3) after that i try to get the text as good as possibe in Word and save it as filtered HTML
4) then i import that HTML into Calibre that creates a ZIP compressed html file
5) lastly i convert that ZIP file into mobi (using Calibre)

Sometimes i edit ZIP HTML and repeat #5 a couple of times to get really perfect result.

The process is almost identical to the one described above. The real difference is the use of OCR software (ABBY Finereader) and my HTML knowledge.

Last edited by Starko; 01-24-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Starko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:48 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Reflow PDF to read on my Kindle is my last resort, but since that is what you're asking for I'll list my process here.

TOOLS: Mobipocet Creator 4.2, BookCreator , and Calibre (all are free tools)

1) Import the PDF to MobiCreator. This is probably one of the best PDF to HTML tools that I have tried and it is also free. The results is almost identical to the @kindle.com
2) Open the HTML file and copy and past it into BookCreator (BC)
3) Format the text to how I want it to look, add table of contents, and cover page.
4) Create a MOBI book.

With MobiCreator you don't need to use BC to create a TOC and cover page, but I use BC because it is possible to format the text where as in MobiCreator it would require modifying the HTML code, thus taking more time.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 01-24-2011 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Added links
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:21 PM   #8
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
=X=

It seems one of the tools, bookcreator is now a google product and I cannot find any download links on their page unless I've missed something.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:42 PM   #9
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

H'm that is odd. The bookcreator tool I'm referring to is one I wrote to help me format ebooks.

It's an MS Word macro that has button and commands used to optimize the book creation process.

The link i provided above should have taken you to a mobiread site. At the bottom of my post there is a zip file. Download that.

I just realized what you are talking about. Google bought ebook technologies and i used them to make IMP books. Download the zip file that has NO_IMP in it and you will be fine.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:18 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I haven't tried it for PDF-to-mobi yet, but another possibility is www.online-convert.com.

If you want reflow to work better, however, you really need to be able to modify the tagging and reading order with a PDF editor (Acrobat or equivalent). Automated converters can only be so intelligent.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:48 AM   #11
AxAx

Seem like only way to fix pdf problems is avoiding the pdf.

Amazon convert is the nicest option but I don't trust them with my privacy.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:54 AM   #12
=X=
Wizard

Ha ha so true. My wife gifted me a nook color for Christmas. I've rooted the device and installed a PDF reader called ReploGo. It is by far the best reading experience I've ever had.

I don't have to alter the PDF in any way. The reflow is the best I've seen it has pinch to zoom and full annotations bookmark, notes, highlight, strikethrough, freestyle notes.

Pdf reading the way it should have always been
=X=
Old 04-24-2011, 05:32 AM   #13
kazzyj
kazzyj began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks =X= for directing me to MobiPocket Creator.
It did the easiest PDF to e-book conversion I have tried so far.

It imports a pdf really quickly and then you can choose build to create a .prc file that Calibre reads in as a mobi file - exactly what I wanted.

I just hate .pdf's on my Kindle. I want it as a e-book. I don't care if it's not perfect - I just want it to re-flow.

Kaz
kazzyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:50 PM   #14
jjose
jjose began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Reflow PDF to read on my Kindle is my last resort, but since that is what you're asking for I'll list my process here.

TOOLS: Mobipocet Creator 4.2, BookCreator , and Calibre (all are free tools)

1) Import the PDF to MobiCreator. This is probably one of the best PDF to HTML tools that I have tried and it is also free. The results is almost identical to the @kindle.com
2) Open the HTML file and copy and past it into BookCreator (BC)
3) Format the text to how I want it to look, add table of contents, and cover page.
4) Create a MOBI book.

With MobiCreator you don't need to use BC to create a TOC and cover page, but I use BC because it is possible to format the text where as in MobiCreator it would require modifying the HTML code, thus taking more time.

=X=

hi
I am trying to use the "BookCreator_NOIMP.dot" with a office 2010 64BITS, and I get following message,

---------------------------------------------------------
Compile error
The code in this project must be updated for use on 64-bits systems.................
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is there a macro somewhere to solve this????
thanks in advance

juabba
jjose is offline   Reply With Quote