Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 08-13-2009, 07:10 AM   #76
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Try to disable auto-replace and other smart-ass features of Word.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:47 AM   #77
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scullion View Post
Could you tell me how you do this, Patricia? Whenever I try to replace a space in the guillemets with a non-breaking space in MS Word it changes the guillemets to quotes for some infuriating reason and I can't prevent it nor recover it except through undo. I ended up removing the spaces altogether as the Sony reader often leaves them orphaned.
I disable autoreplace in Word.
In Book Designer I run a find and replace if it hasn't come out correctly. (I copy and paste a non-breaking space plus guillemet into the replace option.)
It helps to go to the View menu and check the "show nbsp" and "show inner nbsp" so that you can see the non-breaking spaces.

I hope this helps.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:56 AM   #78
Scullion
Scullion is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony 505
Thanks to you both, That fixed it. I have been using Word for so long I have gone soft in the head, I think - I had completely forgotten about autoreplace. Many thanks, now I can concentrate on finding all those lost ligatures, LOL
Scullion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:49 AM   #79
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
Do these BookCleaner files convert en dashes to em dashes?
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:36 AM   #80
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
No, they don't deal with en dashes at all. Do en dashes need to be fixed so they stay en dashes?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:28 AM   #81
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I find that without Book Cleaner, endashes become hyphens. With Book Cleaner, they become emdashes.
I tend to replace endashes with @ or # in the source text, then do a find and replace after putting the text into Book Designer.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:51 AM   #82
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
Patricia is correct. With your BookCleaner files, en dashes are converted to em dashes. I just do a replace all so it's really a minor issue except where both en dashes and em dashes are used.
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:52 AM   #83
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Given the comparative rarity of the en-dash, it's generally easy to decide what to do with it on a case-by-case basis if one follow's Patricia's advice.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:49 AM   #84
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Given the comparative rarity of the en-dash, it's generally easy to decide what to do with it on a case-by-case basis if one follow's Patricia's advice.
In English, perhaps. In Hungarian there should only be en-dashes.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:21 AM   #85
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
Em-dashes become hyphens

I am using Book Cleaner files v1.7, and I have two problems:

(1) Embedded images are not preserved - this problem has been mentioned earlier and is related to the replacement of symbols in the "characters" representing the enoded images, so not much can be done.

(2) All em-dashes are replaced as hyphens. Em-dashes are never preserved, and I thought that this was specifically something that book cleaner files were supposed to take care of. As em-dashes tend to be without spaces between the words they separate in ebooks (word1—word2) since they are replaced as hyphens I lose all em-dashes when I create a new book (usually FB2).

Unfortunately I have stopped using the Book Cleaner files because these problems are worse than the occaissional small errors the files do fix. I have resorted to manually cleaning up the source file prior to loading into book designer, primarily:

Quote:
Replace all em-dashes with <space>—<space>, which then allows me to do a global search and replace in book designer to replace all <space>-<space> with <space>—<space> (because em-dashes become dashes on import - I could just go back to replacing the spaced dashes with em-dashes alone "—" but I prefer having spaced em-dashes for readability (although not perhaps "correct" formatting). In truth I create FB2 books using middle dashes (effectively en-dashes) so I like the spaced dashes for seperators in this case - em-dashes are just too large for my taste.
Of course, I then have to go and check manually for things like weapons calibres (.38, .45, etc.) as they tend to be without leading spaces. After FB2 creation I also have to do the ampersand check as these are incorrectly generated. First I open the FB2 file (XML) in a text editor then do a global search and replace in two stages:

Quote:
Find (without quotes) " amp; " and Replace with " &amp; "
Find (without quotes) " amp;" and Replace with "&amp;"
The first case handles situations like "Henry & Co." by keeping spaces around the ampersand. Once these are fixed, the second case picks up all the other non-spaced ampersand instances (such as R&D).

Of course, perhaps I am using Book Designer incorrectly, although I seem to have all the usual settings in place (language = German, etc.). So perhaps the BC files can be tweaked, but I'm not sure how. Does anyone else have these problems? It seems the handling of em-dashes is OK for most people as there have been few complaints. Cheers!
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:59 AM   #86
Patricia
Reader

Orwell, if your emdashes are replaced by hyphens, then it's not clear that you have installed Book Cleaner properly. One of its functions is to preserve emdashes.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:37 AM   #87
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Orwell, if your emdashes are replaced by hyphens, then it's not clear that you have installed Book Cleaner properly. One of its functions is to preserve emdashes.
I know, that's why it's confusing. But I have followed the instructions, and they clearly work for other aspects.

I copy the files to the "Program Files > Book Designer > BookCleaner" folder (1.bcf, 2.bcf). Note that there are also 3 other files already there (MiddleDashes_after.bcf, MiddleDashes_before.bcf, RemoveRepeatedEmptyLines.bcf).

Then in Book Designer I go to "Tools > Book Cleaner" and then select 1.bcf in the "input file: before formatting" drop-down box, and 2.bcf in the "input file: after formatting" drop-down box. Then close the window.

I have checked regularly that the 1.bcf and 2.bcf files are still loaded as described above, and they always are. Should the "loaded book" section be marked as whole? I assume that is only if you want to manually trigger the clean-up again, and when the book is first loaded the cleaner files run?

Am I missing anything else? My language is selected as German, and I think I have fairly basic settings selected for the program overall - see the attached pics for screencaps of my settings and the Book Cleaner window.

I have noted in other posts that MS Office seems to have some effect omn Book Designer functions - is this also the case for Cleaner?

Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cleaner.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	35897   Click image for larger version

Name:	Settings.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	35898  
Old 09-15-2009, 08:22 AM   #88
Patricia
Reader

That all sounds perfectly correct, Orwell.
So, the next thing to ask is how you load your texts into Book Designer.
Book cleaner won't work if you are cutting and pasting.

I open BD then drag and drop the source text into the BD window. At the bottom of the window, there's a little commentary, where it tells you that it's finding paragrah ends, running book cleaner etc.
Do you get this?
Old 09-15-2009, 08:55 AM   #89
orwell2k
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
That all sounds perfectly correct, Orwell.
So, the next thing to ask is how you load your texts into Book Designer.
Book cleaner won't work if you are cutting and pasting.

I open BD then drag and drop the source text into the BD window. At the bottom of the window, there's a little commentary, where it tells you that it's finding paragrah ends, running book cleaner etc.
Do you get this?
I am almost always opening an HTML document in Book Designer (File > Open), sometimes a LIT, DOC/RTF or TXT file. But always via Open File not cut and paste. I also see the little "status" message saying "finding paragraphs ends" and so on.

Having wasted your time, I have now just run some further tests, and it seems I am getting em-dashes preserved in most documents I try. I don't know what happened, but I can only guess that I had one strangely formatted source document that meant I lost the em-dahses. I will keep an eye on how it performs with further documents. My apologies.

Of course, I still have the problem of losing images when the Book Cleaner files run on opening a new source file. This is quite troublesome, and I guess we are unlikely to get that issue fixed?

Thanks again for your help, and apologies for the false alarm.

Last edited by orwell2k; 09-15-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:23 PM   #90
Patricia
Reader

No worries, Orwell.
I make sure that I have checked the "save pictures" options in Configuration/settings. Even so, I frequently have to add the pictures by hand later.

Tags
bookcleaner, bookdesigner