Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-24-2022, 06:33 PM   #16
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria Loranger View Post
I always install in the folder picked up by the installer (in my case is "Calibre2 - because of an older reinstall, probably).

I removed Calibre, I ran CCleaner, I deleted Calibre folders in Program Files and App Data.

Installing calibre-64bit-6.1.0.msi failed.
Installing calibre-64bit-5.44.0.msi failed.
In both attempts, install starts and then goes back removing files and at the end of this I get the same error message.

Short of reinstalling Windows, I don't know what to do...
Have you tried running any other .MSI installers?

Long shot: try running sfc scannow - it overcame a problem I was having with the so-called Trusted installer - on Windows 7. I think that was the only time running sfc scannow did anything useful.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-24-2022 at 06:37 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 05:25 AM   #17
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Long shot: try running sfc scannow
That is:
  • Open a command window AS ADMINISTRATOR
  • type: sfc /scannow
This will try to correct corrupted windows system files.

I use this command all the time after any Windows updates were installed and am notified occasionally (too much to my liking) that files needed to be fixed. So this might help.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2022, 05:40 AM   #18
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Just in case "scannow" indicates errors, but is unable to fix them, a deeper scan is needed by using the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) command tool.
  • Type: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
When no errors are found, you're good to go.
When additional repairing is needed:
  • Type: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
After successfully ending of dism, you do need to do another sfc /scannow action to make sure everything is restored now.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 04:35 PM   #19
Maria Loranger
Enthusiast
Maria Loranger began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite + Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphy View Post
You could try to enable logging for the installer:
msiexec /i "installer.msi" /l*v "log.log"

There might be something useful there.
I was very flattered that you thought that I might know what you were talking about.
I am NOT a programmer, not even very "techie".

Imagine my surprise when, after very little research, I actually managed to do this!!!

However, the log file is gobbledygook for me.
Welcome all to examine it - please see attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Calibremsilog.zip (170.5 KB, 66 views)
Maria Loranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 04:53 PM   #20
Maria Loranger
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you are running Windows 10 or Windows 11, try installing the portable version of Calibre 6.1 and see how that works.
I installed the portable 6.1 in my Desktop - no problem.
BUT: when attempting to "Send to device" a title, I got the same error message :
"WARNING: Failed: Kobo database version unsupported", etc.

Thank you for the suggestion, anyway.
Advert
Old 07-25-2022, 04:57 PM   #21
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I installed the portable 6.1 in my Desktop - no problem.
BUT: when attempting to "Send to device" a title, I got the same error message :
"WARNING: Failed: Kobo database version unsupported", etc.

Thank you for the suggestion, anyway.
That would suggest that you have updated to 4.33.19759. You can safely enable the Attempt to support newer firmware checkbox on the Metadata, on device and advanced tab of the KoboTouch or KoboTouchExtended driver. See attached image. Alternatively, you can wait for calibre 6.2 to be released.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newer_firmware.png
Views:	83
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	195291  
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 05:25 PM   #22
Maria Loranger
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
That would suggest that you have updated to 4.33.19759. You can safely enable the Attempt to support newer firmware checkbox on the Metadata, on device and advanced tab of the KoboTouch or KoboTouchExtended driver. See attached image. Alternatively, you can wait for calibre 6.2 to be released.
I was hesitant to do this from the beginning because of all the dire warnings about having to factory reset the Kobo (mine is a Kobo Libra 2, btw).
However, I did it and now I am able to delete titles from the Kobo through Calibre (Portable version), as well as to send titles to the device and my Kobo seems OK.
Thanks for giving me the courage and for showing me what to do.

I can now wait for Calibre 6.2 - if only I figure out why I could not install calibre-64bit-6.1.0.msi nor calibre-64bit-5.44.0.msi.
Old 07-25-2022, 07:16 PM   #23
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
. . .

I can now wait for Calibre 6.2 - if only I figure out why I could not install calibre-64bit-6.1.0.msi nor calibre-64bit-5.44.0.msi.
Have you tried installing another .MSI? If you don't have another one at hand, the following is safe -- make sure you download the 64 bit edition ==>> https://tools.stefankueng.com/BowPad.html. If that doesn't install successfully then we can assume its not a calibre specific issue.

Another Long shot: Could you check that there is NOT a Calibre2 folder in the C:\Program files (X86). That is where the 32 bit editions (pre Version 6) of calibre were installed. Historically there has been no harm in having the 32 and the 64 editions installed, other than confusing the person who put themselves in that situation. Now there is no 32bit edition perhaps Windows is 'confused'

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 09:27 PM   #24
jmurphy
Connoisseur
jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipaq
The MSI log has a line that says:
THIRTYTWOBITINSTALLFOUND

So yes, check C:\Program files (X86) for a calibre or calibre2 folder
It won't hurt and might help.
jmurphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 10:58 PM   #25
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I was hesitant to do this from the beginning because of all the dire warnings about having to factory reset the Kobo (mine is a Kobo Libra 2, btw).
However, I did it and now I am able to delete titles from the Kobo through Calibre (Portable version), as well as to send titles to the device and my Kobo seems OK.

Trust me. If there were issues with using the attempt to support new firmware option, there are several Kobo beta testers in these forums who would notice it well before the release firmware was out and there would be warnings posted in the Kobo and calibre forums.

As for your install issue, @jmurphy has already posted the same item I noticed in the log file you posted but I seem to remember having both 64 bit and 32 bit version installed simultaneously without an error.

Last edited by DNSB; 07-25-2022 at 11:01 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 10:31 AM   #26
Maria Loranger
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
That is:
  • type: sfc /scannow
This will try to correct corrupted windows system files.

I use this command all the time after any Windows updates were installed and am notified occasionally (too much to my liking) that files needed to be fixed. So this might help.
Thnk you for your help.

Yesterday, I ran sfc /scannow (as Admin) - see results in attachment.
I also add here the CBS log.
Then I tried again to install the 2 Calibre .msi (6.1 and 5.44) and both failed - same error.

Today I will proceed with your further instructions.
Attached Files
File Type: txt sfc_scannow results.txt (606 Bytes, 54 views)
File Type: zip CBS_log.zip (126.4 KB, 83 views)
Old 07-26-2022, 10:47 AM   #27
Maria Loranger
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Have you tried installing another .MSI? If you don't have another one at hand, the following is safe -- make sure you download the 64 bit edition ==>> https://tools.stefankueng.com/BowPad.html. If that doesn't install successfully then we can assume its not a calibre specific issue.

Another Long shot: Could you check that there is NOT a Calibre2 folder in the C:\Program files (X86). That is where the 32 bit editions (pre Version 6) of calibre were installed. Historically there has been no harm in having the 32 and the 64 editions installed, other than confusing the person who put themselves in that situation. Now there is no 32bit edition perhaps Windows is 'confused'

BR
1. Thank you for your answer and for pointing me to the site with a clean .msi.
BowPad .msi installed without any problems (unless taking a long time to start the install is significant)

2. There is no "Calibre" folder in my C:\Program files (X86)

As far as I can tell, the only Calibre folder WAS in "Program Files" (NOT the "Program files (X86)" - created everytime I tried to install the 6.1 or 5.44 .msi. I deleted this folder after every failed installation attempt.
Old 07-26-2022, 10:49 AM   #28
Maria Loranger
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphy View Post
The MSI log has a line that says:
THIRTYTWOBITINSTALLFOUND

So yes, check C:\Program files (X86) for a calibre or calibre2 folder
It won't hurt and might help.
Thank you for your answer.

There is no "Calibre" folder in my C:\Program files (X86)

As far as I can tell, the only Calibre folder WAS in "Program Files" (NOT the "Program files (X86)" - created everytime I tried to install the 6.1 or 5.44 .msi. I deleted this folder after every failed installation attempt.
Old 07-26-2022, 11:40 AM   #29
Maria Loranger
Enthusiast

Quote:
However, I did it (i.e. installed Calibre Portable) and now I am able to delete titles from the Kobo through Calibre (Portable version), as well as to send titles to the device and my Kobo seems OK.

Well, that was yesterday.
Today, when attempting to connect the Kobo to Calibre Portable, I get:

"calibre, version 6.1.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

CorruptError: database disk image is malformed

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 88, in run
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 540, in _books
File "calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 2024, in books
apsw.CorruptError: CorruptError: database disk image is malformed"

Anybody can tell me what does this mean?!

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2022, 11:47 AM   #30
Maria Loranger
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
Just in case "scannow" indicates errors, but is unable to fix them, a deeper scan is needed by using the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) command tool.
  • Type: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
When no errors are found, you're good to go.
When additional repairing is needed:
  • Type: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
After successfully ending of dism, you do need to do another sfc /scannow action to make sure everything is restored now.
Quote:
Thnk you for your help.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Maria Loranger:
Yesterday, I ran sfc /scannow (as Admin) - see results in attachment.
I also add here the CBS log.
Then I tried again to install the 2 Calibre .msi (6.1 and 5.44) and both failed - same error.

Today I will proceed with your further instructions.
I just ran Dism as you instructed. Here is the result:

"Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19044.1826]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.19041.844

Image Version: 10.0.19044.1826

No component store corruption detected.
The operation completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>"

Tags
kobo libra 2, unsupported firmware, update failure