Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Interead COOL-ER

Notices

Old 05-15-2009, 10:44 AM   #106
godelocs
godelocs began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise 1150
Wrong post section. I was trying to post this in reference to another post I was reading. Don't know how it got switched to this one. Got some good information from you all though.
godelocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:55 AM   #107
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
At this price point for eInk, this is a reader that really tempts me to buy as a combination back-up/loaner device. I really would like to see more actual pictures, but I'll probably end up snagging one - if I can figure out what color will make the screen look the most white!
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2009, 11:03 AM   #108
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
Do you have the name of the person who answer you?
Nope; just "support@coolreaders.com."

I'm planning on writing back and asking how they support jpgs if they have no grayscale. (And what "jpg ebooks" they know about.)

Quote:
(And If I'm correct and they only sell "all made product" from netronics (ie without internal development) I think you will never be able to reach any technician...)
I suspect you're right. But I imagine they have *someone* on staff who actually uses their device, and knows how to explain its features.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:14 AM   #109
cheese bogart
Connoisseur
cheese bogart has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: prs-505 (Silver), Ipad
I think I saw somewhere earlier in this thread about the prices. It really bugs me that in the UK we'll end up paying £30 more this device. As it stands today with the currency exchange it should be $250= £164. I think if I was to buy this I would wait until I was in America and buy it there.
cheese bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:20 AM   #110
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Godzil, my guess is that the status bar is part of the base software and they decided to keep it as is.
Typically the OS will provide a set of system calls to provide interaction with the screen, menu's, buttons, etc. These things require a specialized driver and are not specifically application programs. It would be expected that certain parts of the UI would look the same if they are using the same system calls. The content is likely to be different. The system may also supply fonts and other items you would expect from an OS. Depending on the OS design the hooks into the system may have more or less ability to be customized. For example the menu position on the screen may or may not be customizable. You have to look a lot closer to determine if the applications are the same.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2009, 11:23 AM   #111
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
the book prices are outrageously high. some books are more than twice the cost of Kindle Books.

For example, Dune Messiah is $20 on cooler books but only $7 on Amazon kindle
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:28 AM   #112
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by godelocs View Post
I was wondering why the ebw 1150 has the jack for headphones and the icons on the bottom that symbolizes music but you cannot listen to music on it. Why would they do that?
the eBookwise 1150 is based on earlier hardware that had these features. It was intended to put them into this product as well but was never implemented. This is a good example of how follow-on hardware and firmware can be missing features that the hardware seems to support. A more recent example was the Cybook that didn't support all of the buttons. Just because you see it in the hardware doesn't mean it works!

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:32 AM   #113
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
They're ridiculously high, but also pretty typical of 'hardback' ebooks from anywhere but Amazon. The price on 'paperback' releases is actually cheaper than most stores.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:34 AM   #114
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese bogart View Post
I think I saw somewhere earlier in this thread about the prices. It really bugs me that in the UK we'll end up paying £30 more this device. As it stands today with the currency exchange it should be $250= £164. I think if I was to buy this I would wait until I was in America and buy it there.
More than half that difference is accounted for by the fact that the UK price includes VAT. Even if you were to buy it in the US, you'd still have to pay VAT when you brought it back to the UK.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:42 AM   #115
cheese bogart
Connoisseur

I think you're find that you can bring back goods that total no more than £1000 (not sure on the exact figure) combined before you have to pay tax. It allows you to bring back gifts and the like.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:46 AM   #116
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese bogart View Post
I think you're find that you can bring back goods that total no more than £1000 (not sure on the exact figure) combined before you have to pay tax. It allows you to bring back gifts and the like.
The allowance is £340, so yes, you're right. It probably wouldn't be worth buying one mail-order from the US, however; the postage charges, VAT, etc, would amount to more than the amount you'd save.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:50 AM   #117
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
> 3) Reading
> How many font size options does it have, and how many shades of grayscale
> does it support?

8 font sizes - really bi to really small. No grayscale

Another sign that questions are being answered by sales reps, not technicians. If it's e-Ink, it supports grayscale.
Never put an "and" in a question to customer support. The answer may be is correct (no greyscale in fonts), but not to the question you asked.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:52 AM   #118
cheese bogart
Connoisseur

Luckily, I spend three months a year over there. One of the (only) benefits of being self-employed is that I can take holidays for as long as I like.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:00 PM   #119
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Never put an "and" in a question to customer support. The answer may be is correct (no greyscale in fonts), but not to the question you asked.
I'm learning. (I suspect it does support grayscale in fonts, when it tries to parse colored text. But that's a fairly technical concept, and not one I expect to get on a basic "how does this work" email.)

I feel like I'm talking to an idiot when I break it down to simple questions. Two sentence buildup, one sentence question, broken out on its own line. Another couple of sentences of explanation, another question. And so on.

I sent back a reply asking for more details, and answers for the questions that were ignored.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:37 PM   #120
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1010 View Post
However, if I had to choose between this and the Jetbook, I'd choose the COOL-ER. I like the design of the Cool-er ALOT better than the Jetbook (which is really ugly and cheap looking, in my opinion).
I didn't test COOL-ER yet but I can say that jetBook looks very nice and solid(not only for me).
Only people who never touch jetBook can say that jetBook is ugly and cheap. It is very wrong statement.

The opinion about jetBook written by person who tested it:
the hardware is just solid. Even though the case is all plastic, it has a thick, industrial-like feel to it. Not any part of it feels cheap or flimsy. The casing has a pebbled finish, so it's not likely to easily slip out of the hand. All of the buttons feel solid and do not wobble.
Full review available here:
http://ebooktest.blogspot.com/2008/1...ook-ebook.html
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote