Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-22-2009, 04:47 PM   #61
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleMan View Post
I can't believe there needs to be that big of a delay between the announcement date and release date for Dan Brown's new book! I need someone in marketing to explain it to me! (ie Does it create a type of "hysteria" for the book by the time it comes out?)

Anyways, maybe this thread is what finally got things moving!

KindleMan
The movie "Angels & Demons" comes out next month, so he's hoping the hype for the movie will steer people to his older books and/or keep him in their minds all summer until the new book comes out.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:42 PM   #62
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I guess after selling 81 000 000 books (and I think that number is only of Da Vinci's Code), he doesn't have to use such strategies...

On the other hand, the publisher certainly will.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2009, 08:10 PM   #63
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Both Mr. Ludlum and Mr. Brown are/were writers of extremely commercially successful thrillers. Given that neither was setting out to write "great literature", but simply "escapist entertainment", I certainly don't think that it is any "insult" to the late Mr. Ludlum to compare his books to those of Mr. Brown. They are undoubtedly in the same "genre".
But still I think Ludlum is a far better author. Both A&D and da Vinci consists mainly of a long string of small chapters that ends in a sort of a climax which is meant to force us to continue reading. I think the narrative of Ludlums books establishes suspense in a more slowly and cleverly way. At least that is what I'd like to think, since I didn't really fance Dan Brown, but in my earlier days I really enjoyed Ludlum.
Laz116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:34 AM   #64
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I agree with you that Mr. Ludlum's books are a lot more complex and better-plotted, yes. However, I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading "The Da Vinci Code". A very clever book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:15 PM   #65
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I agree with you that Mr. Ludlum's books are a lot more complex and better-plotted, yes. However, I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading "The Da Vinci Code". A very clever book.

May I ask... did you read da Vinci before you read A&D? I read A&D first and thought that it was quite entertaining. When I picked up da Vinci I got this serious case of deja vu, and found it to be a bore.

I'm just wondering whether the distaste is partly because of Browns repetitions of his own formula.
Advert
Old 05-01-2009, 02:38 PM   #66
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laz116 View Post
May I ask... did you read da Vinci before you read A&D? I read A&D first and thought that it was quite entertaining. When I picked up da Vinci I got this serious case of deja vu, and found it to be a bore.
Yup. They're good books, I find, but very, very similar. I hope Mr. Brown used the last couple of years to whip up a new formula.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:55 PM   #67
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
A & D was written before Da Vinci Code.
I read them in this order (as I try to whenever possible ! ).
The plot is very similar (a couple of "good" ones in the middle of a conspiracy with a religious touch), but for me it was quite entertaining (as far as you consider them as complete fiction !).
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:09 PM   #68
Laz116
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idoine View Post
but for me it was quite entertaining (as far as you consider them as complete fiction !).
Ha ha... My sisters husband is a engineer and prizes himself in that he almost never read. At a party a couple of years back he said "I seldom read books and the last book I read was non fiction, it was the da Vinci code."

I did laugh a little bit and puked a little bit at the same time.