Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-02-2014, 04:38 PM   #1
joppybt
joppybt began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Cannot change display on hacked Touch

My Kobo Touch is on firmware 3.3.0. I have hacked it so I can use Telnet.

I start the web browser (to force Wifi) and use PuTTY to get into it. This all works fine. From Telnet I try a simple
Code:
zcat /etc/images/ghostbuster.raw.gz | /usr/local/Kobo/pickel showpic
and expect the display to change. However, nothing happens at all. No error message but also no change in the dispay.
I tried doing a killall nickel first but that does not seem to make a difference.

Am I overlooking something obvious?
joppybt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:50 PM   #2
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
In some FWs, there was a problem with screen refresh, as soon as nickel was once started. On FW 3.5.0 it works again. If you want to stay on 3.3.0, Lucas provided an executable that refreshes the screen (look for a thread that deals with screen saver for glo).
If you want to show pictures (other than ghostbuster), you should reset the orientation:
Code:
echo 0 > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/rotate
If you want to go back to nickel, reset the orientation again:
Code:
echo 3 > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/rotate
If you want to return to nickel, it is convenient if you save the nickel-screen into a file before you display your own images. If you want to use nickel again, write the saved nickel-screen to fb0, or it wlll be difficult to find the right spots to poke.

Edit: Here is the post with Lucas executable.

Last edited by tshering; 08-02-2014 at 07:10 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2014, 08:42 AM   #3
joppybt
joppybt began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
At first I thought that screen-refresh does not really help:
Code:
[root@(none) ~]# killall nickel
[root@(none) ~]# zcat /etc/images/ghostbuster.raw.gz | /usr/local/Kobo/pickel showpic
[root@(none) ~]# /mnt/onboard/screen-refresh
It only cleared the screen.
But then I tried one of the others images like splash.raw.gz and it worked fine. Is the ghostbuster.raw.gz by any chance just an empty image?

I also tried upgrading to 3.5 but then I got no Wifi. Is this maybe the reason why 3.5 is not officially released for the Touch?

Anyhow, back to 3.3 now and i can continue playing.
joppybt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:21 AM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by joppybt View Post
Code:
[root@(none) ~]# zcat /etc/images/ghostbuster.raw.gz | /usr/local/Kobo/pickel showpic
But then I tried one of the others images like splash.raw.gz and it worked fine. Is the ghostbuster.raw.gz by any chance just an empty image?

I also tried upgrading to 3.5 but then I got no Wifi. Is this maybe the reason why 3.5 is not officially released for the Touch?

Anyhow, back to 3.3 now and i can continue playing.
An image to insert to minimize or remove screen "Ghosting" might have such a name, and could be a clean screen or a solid screen.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 02:39 PM   #5
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Code:
Good that it works for you! As Ken said, ghostbuster is just to get rid of the ghosting.

Quote:
Wifi is working on my Touch with FW 3.5.0.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert