Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #1
MarekGibek
Zealot
MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C
Kobo as a Linux tablet - sample image

Hi!

I was able to make all required changes in the kernel sources to be able to install Linux inside and configure everything to be more or less usable on such small device.

Here you can find sample SD card image and test it yourself:
https://sites.google.com/site/gibekm...kobo-as-tablet

Warning! This image was tested only with Kobo Touch model N905C. Probably it will NOT WORK with OTHER devices. By installing it you will erase all data on your SD card. Make sure you have a copy. WHATEVER YOU DO, YOU DO AT YOUR OWN RISK!

I want to share with you with source code of the changes, so owners of other devices can adapt the changes to their devices. Also I've installed two developer environments there:
  • mono 3.2.1 with qyoto (you can use Visual Studio and write apps for .NET 4.5 + QT4.8)
  • python 3 with pyside (you can write QT apps with python)

It is really easy to write apps for Kobo now. I hope that by sharing these images and source codes later we will see better software for Kobo, made more easily now (this is full multitasking, fully configurable desktop).

Have a good fun,
Marek

Last edited by MarekGibek; 08-18-2013 at 06:46 AM.
MarekGibek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
rehemiau
Enthusiast
rehemiau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rehemiau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rehemiau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rehemiau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rehemiau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rehemiau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rehemiau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rehemiau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rehemiau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rehemiau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rehemiau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini
I love it! Can't wait for someone to get koreader and/or nickel to work here with 'minimalize' option
rehemiau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
This looks like a huge achievement. I think I will try it as soon as I find some time. Can you say something about the performance?
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rehemiau View Post
I love it! Can't wait for someone to get koreader and/or nickel to work here with 'minimalize' option
Remember that both koreader and nickel make direct use of the screen hardware and do not go through X11
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:11 AM   #5
MarekGibek
Zealot
MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
This looks like a huge achievement. I think I will try it as soon as I find some time. Can you say something about the performance?
Perofrmance is really good. Desktop starts in 5 seconds. Everything else depends on app. Small apps (puzzle games, calculator, terminal) start instantly. FBReader 3s, Chess 3s. It takes longer for huge applications - Firefox 30s. Just try to not use virtual memory - free memory is on the status bar.

What is slow is the screen refresh of course (hardware limitation). To reduce screen flicker I never do full screen refreshes. You will see ghosts on the screen But it's not that bad - I got used to it. I wish we had one more button to attach full screen refresh to it. Hm... maybe on longer home button press (short press toggles fullscreen mode now).

Just don't watch movies on it ;-)
Old 08-18-2013, 04:27 AM   #6
MarekGibek
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Remember that both koreader and nickel make direct use of the screen hardware and do not go through X11
Yeah, with nickel there may be a problem. It uses QT, there is QT for X11 (already installed in my image) but we just don't have source code to recompile nickel.

But koreader... hey! It uses SDL and SDL works perfectly with X11. Bingo! It's totally possible to run it there! We have fbreader, games, web browsers, developer tools - with koreader we can make it full replacement for nickel - except the shop /personally I don't use it/

Thanks for the idea! I knew that sharing my work with you will be beneficial! I din't know about koreader before! FBreader is not bad but you cannot hide toolbars even in fullscreen. I need to try koreader as well . Thanks!!
Old 08-18-2013, 05:03 AM   #7
lunohod
OpenInkpot developer
lunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toys

Device: N516,V3,PRS505,iLiad,eSlick,E60,K3,K4NT,M90,PB912,KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarekGibek View Post
What is slow is the screen refresh of course (hardware limitation). To reduce screen flicker I never do full screen refreshes. You will see ghosts on the screen But it's not that bad - I got used to it. I wish we had one more button to attach full screen refresh to it. Hm... maybe on longer home button press (short press toggles fullscreen mode now).
It should be possible to choose between full and partial screen refresh depending on the area to be updated.
lunohod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:23 AM   #8
MarekGibek
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunohod View Post
It should be possible to choose between full and partial screen refresh depending on the area to be updated.
That's true. However intelligently - when all screen activity stops. To prevent flashing when scrolling page in web browser. Thanks for the idea!
Old 08-18-2013, 05:32 AM   #9
MarekGibek
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunohod View Post
So you're a OpenInkpot developer! WoW! Nice to meet you You must know many useful tricks! I need to become familiar with this project.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:11 AM   #10
Mike76
Connoisseur
Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013, Kobo Mini, iPad Mini
Just another idea: try the open source CoolReader (KoReader partly based on it). I guess you can find the latest .deb/source here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cren...r3/cr3-3.0.56/
Mike76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:39 AM   #11
MarekGibek
Zealot

Fantastic, Mike! There are even code sources for debian and arm. It seems to be as easy as to compile and run it Thank you! The future's so bright! )
Old 08-18-2013, 06:46 AM   #12
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarekGibek View Post
Perofrmance is really good. Desktop starts in 5 seconds. Everything else depends on app. Small apps (puzzle games, calculator, terminal) start instantly. FBReader 3s, Chess 3s. It takes longer for huge applications - Firefox 30s. Just try to not use virtual memory - free memory is on the status bar.

Just don't watch movies on it ;-)
Thank you for the extensive explanation and thank you especially for sharing the image.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #13
MarekGibek
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Thank you for the extensive explanation and thank you especially for sharing the image.
You welcome!
Old 08-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #14
_pietro
Connoisseur
_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse

Device: none
it seems really great

is it possible to have a version with only minimal debian installation with no apps no games no develop?!? thanks

8gb is the minimum sd card needed?!? just because i have to to buy a new one
_pietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #15
rehemiau
Enthusiast
rehemiau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rehemiau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rehemiau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rehemiau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rehemiau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rehemiau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rehemiau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rehemiau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rehemiau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rehemiau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rehemiau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini
When buying a new SD card, you need to think about performance. Sandisk class 4 should be the best according to this forum (open "SD Card Performance - some discussions and info" in this thread). Tom's hardware confirm this.
rehemiau is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
image, kobo, linux, tablet, x11